ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust flames

Thw exhaust flames in that mpg was way too excessive. Thing is it only looks cool when turbo car does it on over run or summit. How where you planning to do this?.

Chun.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah I have got a purge kit in mind, you press the button at the starting line and it puffs out clouds of gaseous nitrous oxide so you get liquid right up to the solenoid, ready to fire. Im going for pocket money mods at the moment, so I reckon flames might be just the thing, just hook up a sparkplug in the backbox.

BMW 320d Sport

No Luke Ive got to draw the line at neons, I just saw a Fiat Seicento going around with the most rottne neons ever...you could actually see the tube at the bottom of the skirts so it looked like someone had just stuck a pink striplight on the side of the car!

That put me right off, I can tell you!

Any ideas about our deal yet?

I THINK THY ARE COOL, HINT at potential performance and look mad. But the sparkplug in the backbox, i know this is how they do it, but i thought it would steal energy from your coil, and will the gasses be rich enough to catch fire?

Cant find the Mpg But if done properly, and it didnt look like a like a "Oil Refinery" , it would be great. Love to see this mod in the future Nick Just thinking that you might be able to put scorch makes on someones front bumper if they were really close up behind you Or maybe not.

Chun.

BMW 320d Sport

No youd run it off a seperate coil, but in the end the energy comes from the battery so yes it would steal some power. But seeing as it will only flame on the over-run that doesnt really matter. Some kits detect over-run and rather than just cutting injection like normal, they keep the fuel going and re-route coil power to the plug in the exhaust.

Scorch marks on tailgaters front bumpers are definitely the way forward. Theyd think twice before getting too close.

BMW 320d Sport

Barry youre mental going for anti-lag! Youre spending all this time and effort putting the turbo plumbing together then youre gonna blow it all apart with an anti-lag system? Although admittedly anti-lag is the business as long as you dont mind an exhaust system rebuild every couple of hundred miles.

The place that does the kit is called SCC or something. Its in St Albans, I think they normally deal with Cossies. Gonna check it out next week.

Wongy, youll change your mind about cheesiness when you get too close to my rear and I flame grill your bonnet mate! Then again, youd never get that close to my rear bumper anyway *lol*! That will all change no doubt when you get the head and cams done though.

yeah too right nick!!!!!

all said and done.

booked the car in for the 2nd of april for the work but may move it forward if i have time. also after speaking to hill power im left a bit confused!!!!do i go for midrange punch and limit top end power or vice versa!!!really i think the the mid range will be better as the 1764 is lacking soo much in the first place!!!!what do you think.your calculated opinions are always welcome!!!!

ill have to see about the zorst
but i can see you steaming past all of us whith a permanent flame coming out!!!! how cool is that!!but get it done first and well see!!!!!!

170bhp clio 16V

wongy

BMW 320d Sport

No way Wongy - youre actually all booked in for the work? Wicked news if thats the case mate. Id say go for mid range punch definitely. Thats what you need. Plus the way you drive youve never had it over 5000 revs anyway...only joking...but seriously though, unless you do a lot of your driving at the top of the revs, like on the track, or 1/4 mile, or cruising at 125 on the motorway, you dont need the power up the top. 0-60s etc will be improved better by having the power available lower down.

Im sure the conversion will do the trick, and even if you end up disappointed in terms of outright power, you will have a wicked rough idle which will sound the bizz through your exhaust which is loud already! Plus you know the engines been worked over by someone who knows what theyre doing so if theres anything wrong with your engine hell tell you about it. Think of it as an insurance policy to give your engine a clean bill of health and a new cambelt, but you get the car back with 25 extra horses!

Nick - SCC are about a 2 min drive from my place. Im getting a custom exhaust made anyway with lifetime guarantee, which is going to be more or less a straight through pipe with minimal silencing.

nick

yeas mate its all booked in!!!!
ah cant wait!!!!

yeah i think mid range is where its gotta be at!!!!

yeah hopefully its as wicked as im expecting!!

what do you speculate

0 to 60 i guess 7.0 dead
0 to 100 hopefully 18/19 sec
1/4 mile low 15
top speed to be 140 mph

do these seem obtainable to you

this is why im soo desperate to get on the rollers and have a few blast up the 1/4 so i can judge wether the money was well spent but after talking to a few people that have had it dont. it should be a real flier!!!

wongy

With a 170Bhp ,tho it does depend on torque, you should be getting 17-18sec 0-100 times. Consider your car is lighter than a 172.

Chun.

chun and nick

Hill Power Modified Cylinder Head

Cylinder heads are fully rebuilt using new genuine parts as necessary, ports are reshaped and valve seat angles are modified to aid better flow into and out of the head, we also port the inlet and exhaust manifolds, (why port the head if the manifolds restrict gas flowing or out). Fast road camshafts are fitted with aluminium vernier pullies for accurate modified camshaft timing and one of our own modified chips mapped to suit this specific conversion, giving a power increase of approx 15-20 bhp. Heads are also skimmed for increased compression ratio and most important flatness. Included in the kit are all necessary gaskets, seals, and a new camshaft belt. All modified cylinder heads are exchange and price includes fitting.

here we are ontop of this a decat pipe and i should be seeing 165-170bhp, i know people who have had 175bhp out of this conversion but hill power will be aiming to improve midrange torque and not peak power. hopefully this little lot will make my clio as quick as a std clio 172.nick as you know its the torque where the 1764 lacks soo much so this is where i want most improvement but it will bever make as much torque as the 172 lump but maybe more than a std willy engine!!!im not sure though

wongy

nick

its costing me £1600 inc vat a bit expensive i know but i want it done properely and by the best!!!hill power seems to be the most respected engine tunners in reno after speaking to various memebers of CSC and RSC. i probably could get it all done a couple os hundred quid cheaper but it may go wrong and corners may be cut while trying to save money,if you have it done than have it done properely

wongy

BMW 320d Sport

Wongy how much power did Nick Hill say it would knock out? If youre going for decat as well with the emphasis on mid range torque I think in all honesty youre looking at 160bhp tops. Still its useful power where you need it and I would hopr for 0-60 in the low 7s, 0-100 in under 20 seconds, although not sure by how much, 1/4 mile in the mid 15s, top speed will stay the same cos your gearings the same.

BMW 320d Sport

Barry, I might be going round there for the flame kit next week, I keep saying Ill pop round yours sometime when Im passing to have a look at this turbo of yours. Are you around during the daytime on a weekday?

nick

HP said about 160 to 170 but either way im not that fussed. i guess ill be looking for a pbv later too and hope my guestimates on performance are about right!!!!think ill have to wait and see but the only thing im bothered about is 1/4 ill have to get low 15 as my bro will be slating my car is if doesnt. you remember the 106 gti apparantly std that did the 1/4 in 15.1. i gotta beat that. af for top speed surely it will hit at least 140 now the limiter increased further!!!!!

wongy

Nick - I could be if you knew what sort of time your going to be there. Lunch time would be ideal, but would be a little more difficult to get away any other time.!

drop me an email when you know what day youll be about.!

BMW 320d Sport

No problem Barry, Ill give you a couple of days notice if Im coming. Cant remember if Ive got your mobile number? Then I can text you instead of email... lmk the number on nick@cliosport.net

Clio 172 cup

Nick, if you turned your PBV right up so it was overfuelling wouldnt it put unburnt fuel down the exhaust hence making a flame?

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah I run my pbv at 4 bar fuel pressure anyway which keeps the fuelling right at high speed to compensate for the ram scoop.

Was just fettling with it tonight and for the first time ever I got a couple of pops out of the exhaust on the over-run anyway, but of course I couldnt blip the throttle and check out the exhaust pipe at the same time. And now it seems to have stopped doing it...b****cks!

i think its something to do with having a smaller flywheel aswell nick as it accelerates and decelerates lots quicker so on deceleration it chucks overfuel down the exhaust and ..bang!!

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

I cant stop my rt from popping:>
Everyone looks as it sounds like a rally car...only doesnt quite go as well as one.