ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EXHAUST ON MK2 172 0R CUP ANY PROBS

WAS THINKING OF PUTTING AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST SYSTEM ON MY CUP BUT WHEN I GOT TALKING TO A FEW EXHAUST COMPANIES THEY TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS ONLY A BACK BOX AVAILABLE BECAUSE WHEN YOU GO ANY FURTHER WITH THE EXHAUST SYSTEM THE ECU CANT COPE AND GOES MAD WITH FUELING PROBLEMS ETC I WANTED TO TAKE THE CAT OUT AND PUT A FULL LINE ON I ALSO WANTED TO PUT A INDUCTION KIT ON IT BUT THIS CAUSES THE SAME PROBLEMS AND RESULTS IN HAVING TO GET THE ECU RESET AND SO ON ANYBODY ANY CONCRETE INFO ON THIS SUBJECT?

there is plenty of info if you search it up, but to make life simple for you.

Exhuast system from teh cat back is fine and wont do any harm, but remove the cat and the emissions light on the dash will stay on. Its got a twin lambda arrangement, and power gains from removing the cat is minimal. If you really want, get a MK1 Twin cat and weld in a boss for the 2nd lambda, the MK1 item is less restrictive.

IF you fit an induction you will almost cetainly need your fueling checked and adjusted as they tend to go way out, usually lean but rich has been seen, which needs bringing back to normal. I wont go into details but its all to do with the WOT fueling, not part throttle.

Youll get about 10BHP from all that, and well, it wont go any faster but drivability in some cases is a vast improvement.

cheerio!

Lionel Richie

Ben, you forgot to mention the "dont put an open ind kit on a 172/cup engine" thatll REALLY screw up your fueling!!!!

cheers ben, is that all the info on this or is there any more, and is all the info i need on this site? does this mean i cannot put an induction kit on the cup or can i put a forced air kit on like the BMC, P.CROSS VIPER kits etc?

the sealed induction kits give the best bolt on gains along with your ECU adj to suit fueling needs.

Exhaust dont do much bar looks and sound.

As for forced air, there is no forcing and no ram effect.....why, you can search it up, been through it too many times! lol

Still, its all fun in the end, so enjoy. All you need to know can be asked on here. But specific questions are better, otherwise i cant be bothered rambling on and on over every possibly situation.

as i am in n.ireland i cannot get to any of these, but i can get to a superchip dealer will the ecu need a superchip to do the job or need a superchip and then reprogramed or can they reprograme the original?

cheers Ben, you have been alot of help

think i will get myself one of those BMC CDA kits and one of scorpions new cat back systems with the 4" imola.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Bringing this post back from the dead, would I be right to assume from this discussion, the following:

1. Choose whatever link pipe and back box you like, it doesnt really affect the performance, its purely down to looks and sound.

2. If I buy a closed-type induction kit, CDA/Viper for example, I will still need to get my ECU tweaked.

What are the implications of not getting the ECU tweaked?

Sorry for trying everyones patience!

ASCAR is Sheffield took a look at my system and said that the cat and the back box were both restrictive but the rest of the system was okay. They suggested decat first then a back box.

Ive got my own "semi-open" induction kit on my car and its at the very least done it no harm, and seems to improve performance when going over 50mph.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Thanks Rhys. I am concerned about adjusting things like this as Im not really wanting to go and end up getting the ECU done.

Si.

QUESTION FOR BEN R

i have a few new questions on this subject now since posting this topic got a devil cat back system and just bought and fitted the r sport ecu and now my BMC CDA KIT is on its way, will i still need my r sport ecu tweeked to get the fueling right and if so will this alter the way the r sport ecu is supposed to work and muck things up and not give me the extra bhp that it is set up for???