ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust rattle

OK, the 172 has got a nasty sounding rattle now when you give it high revs, and takes a few seconds to tail off after the revs have dropped. I jacked it up today and I'm pretty certain it's coming from the heat sheild above the middle section (more towards the front) of the exhaust. So I've got a few questions:
  • Is this a common problem?
  • Is it more likely the heat sheild has come loose?
  • Is it more likely the exhaust isn't properly secure?
  • If I take it back to Renault will they fix it on warranty?
  • Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If its around 4k revs its a common thing , lots been said about it before on here .

Bugger, should've done a better search.

Thing is though, it's become very noticeable in this past week. Sounds really bad, it defo needs fixing.

M2 Competition
Tell them the heatsheild is loose, it rattles at about 4k revs, and they'll fix it under warranty. Mine was the same fella.

Oh, and id get a new exhaust anyways, as the standard one will fall off at approximately 30-35k miles :) hehe

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ I think its something to do with the centre section of the exhaust .It could be on its way out if its the original renault one .

Like peperami says , they usually drop off anyway around 30,000 miles lol , cos they're shite .

Bugger, mines on 21k. I don't replace things until they fall off, and even if they fall off until I can afford to replace them, lol. I'll just go and moan to Renault, see if they'll give it a weld or something.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
its your baffles - centre section always does this - the pipe inside snaps and rattles at its natural resinence (cant spell) - which is usually at about 4k... getting my new cat back fitted tomorrow.

Ah crap, that doesn't sound good. Doesn't sound like a warranty job either :(. I guess I'll have to stop going above 3.5k

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
doesn't have to be too expensive to fix - got an ashley competition exhaust being tomorrow - only 145 inc delivery. will let you know what its like - my rattle drove me nuts, once you have it, it'll only get worse!