ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exige Mini Photoshoot - Light Painting Practice

So yesterday evening Dave and I headed into Gloucester just for a mess about, and for me to practice some more light painting.....trying to improve on disappointing results I have achieved previously.

The first location was the stereotypical car park, but we knew it would be quiet, so it was ideal for some practice.

The second spot was rather more daring, being in the centre of Gloucester....but I think it's an ace location.....if the photos do it justice is up to you to decide.

Pretty happy with the results, considering it was only a mess about, and a chance for me and Dave to have a good old natter ;)

As usual, all I need are some BETTER LOCATIONS!!!

So, I need some honest feedback, and things to improve upon next time out.

DSC0127.jpg

DSC0138.jpg

DSC0149.jpg

DSC0169.jpg

The car is light painted, it doesn't always have to be about silly shapes or words ;)

Looks good, if you're ever up around Worcester please give me a shout, would be awesome to learn some tips!

"C8" plate has gone!

I like Dan :)

For me, number one is the best shot. As I think the simpler setting does not distract from the car. I also really like the detail inside the cabin you've picked up.

For that exact reason, number four is my least favourite as I find the light flare from the four street lamps draw my eye away from the car... Although in number four you've got the lighting on the rear of the exige spot on.

Can't believe I just attempted to critique your work. If I produced any of those I'd be f*cking over the moon lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I know nothing about photography, so my opinion is null and void.

But...

That looks flippin' amazing!!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I was also expecting silly shapes and colours in the background.

Those look ace though! Love the first one!!

Clio RS200
"C8" plate has gone!

I like Dan :)

For me, number one is the best shot. As I think the simpler setting does not distract from the car. I also really like the detail inside the cabin you've picked up.

For that exact reason, number four is my least favourite as I find the light flare from the four street lamps draw my eye away from the car... Although in number four you've got the lighting on the rear of the exige spot on.

Can't believe I just attempted to critique your work. If I produced any of those I'd be f*cking over the moon lol.

^^ what he said. Number 1 is fantastic. End up staring at the car rather than anything else, number 4 there is way too much going on. All great pics though!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Love 3 and 4 Dan!

Awesome shots as usual, I really need to try light painting on a car for myself, it gets some stunning images!

Yes the background was too bright and busy before so that has worked, the very bright 'point' light sources with the starburst filter 'effect' do distract somewhat from the car. First shot with the plain background was my fave.

Yeh I think that works better, the background is a little busy I agree.....I think this type of lighting technique works better in simpler environments, like the car park for example.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fûck sake Dan! Actual unreal looking car. Not sure on the Sunstrip part but super photography!

I have no more words. :eek:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice work.

I think the cobbled street one looks a little odd (IMO) because of the camber in the road. Car looks wonky against the buildings because of that.

Light painting is something I enjoy .. haven't done any in a while !

So jealous of your skills, Dan. Out of interest, what did you use for the painting? LED torch of some sort?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Like all the of edits Dan! Car looks amazing esspecially in the last two shots. But think the cobbled street one could do with a little more colour in the buildings... It looks the like the saturation has been sapped out the brickwork and the tower in the background :S

Cheers chaps.

I did intentionally desaturate the buildings, mainly as there was a horrible orange cast on everything, that was only partially fixed with WB corrections. And I wanted the car to stand out a bit more.

How does this edit work?

DSC0127_3.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Cheers chaps.

I did intentionally desaturate the buildings, mainly as there was a horrible orange cast on everything, that was only partially fixed with WB corrections. And I wanted the car to stand out a bit more.

How does this edit work?

Really like that one... maybe bring the black edge back a litte on the left so it doesn't curve round the car to much. But really liking these mate :)

Brilliant photos - absolutely love the last two, the yellow car against the sepia background works so well!

That last edit is awesome - almost gives the sense that a couple of big studio lights have been used

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great pics Dan. Makes me want to go and play with my torch tonight :eek:

I've only ever tried this once, technique worked well!