ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

External HDD for Time Machine Backup?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Can anyone recommend an external hard drive I can use for time Machine on my mac? I don't really know a great deal about them.

​Ideally I want one that I don't have to plug in to the mains! Any help appreciated.

FF Clio 182
Anything usually above 500GB needs to be plugged in as they draw a lot of power. Western Digital do a 2TB drive for Mac, it's about £150. It's a sleek looking bit of kit, made of brushed aluminium I believe. That would be your best bet. Why don't you want it to be plugged in? If you using it for time machine how often do you plan on moving it ?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Anything usually above 500GB needs to be plugged in as they draw a lot of power. Western Digital do a 2TB drive for Mac, it's about £150. It's a sleek looking bit of kit, made of brushed aluminium I believe. That would be your best bet. Why don't you want it to be plugged in? If you using it for time machine how often do you plan on moving it ?

I wanted to partition it - 250 for my mac and 250 for other s**t. I'll look at the WD one anyway though, cheers.

FF Clio 182
250GB for time machine will last less than 5 days before it has to start erasing old backups. (Depending on your HDD size) to be fair at least with 2TB you will never run out of space :) and they do look nice them WD ones...

Anything usually above 500GB needs to be plugged in as they draw a lot of power.

That isn't the case these days. I have a 2TB bus powered drive, just for an example.

Boosh, you can use any drive you like so long the Time Machine partition is formatted for Mac.