ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'I work in I.T' thread

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I don't have any funny IT work stories I can think of at the minute.
But....

When I was about 19, just starting out, I got a job at a remote site to decom' some comms cab. A bird there was flirty as f**k with me, previously. She was a few years older, but 9/10 and thus, way out of my league.

I was lying on the floor reaching round the cab sides, trying to get the power cables out without disturbing some fibre trays. She stepped over me.
I was in the path of the door way. (Back then, we had free standing cabs in just random f**king places). She had a skirt on, I could see a perfect undertray. If I close my eyes, I can see it, even to this day.
I stopped breathing.
I thought, if she comes back and does it again - I am in. Little Phill, with his Advanced Word 2000 certificate, go on son.
I purposefully just laid there, pretending to keep working - hoping she'd come back.
I was on that floor for nearly an hour, 'pretending'. Nothing came of it and I drove home at 90mph in my XR2 and tugged myself to sleep.

The moral of the story is, nothing. I just remembered it and wanted to share.
#toptugger

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Dealing with MS :rolleyes:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-to-microsoft-365-office-365-and/ba-p/4100985

365 licencing was already a s**t show before this
This site is a saviour for it.
I've learnt to work on the basis of sub 300 you get business premium, over 300 E3.
At least it's less confusing than the on-prem licencing

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
This site is a saviour for it.
I've learnt to work on the basis of sub 300 you get business premium, over 300 E3.
At least it's less confusing than the on-prem licencing

Yeah its a good site mate. Only real difference between MS E3 and Biz premium is the mailbox sizes from memory.

Their naming conventions are diabolical. for example, Microsoft E3 or 365 E3 (very different licences).

Don't get me started on Teams voice licencing!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Heres the thing, MS Exchange will never go back on premise. Fact.

However, infrastructure and servers will go back on prem / colo again.

After beancounters realise its a wild west for virtual "cloud" offerings.
Wow what a surprise that on prem is cheaper, who'd have thought🤔🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Anyone that thinks AWS is better for a full platform is a f**king idiot. They get you in with cheap offerings and scalability, then 2 years down the line when you're settled they absolutely hammer your arse until it's bleeding

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Wow what a surprise that on prem is cheaper, who'd have thought🤔🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Anyone that thinks AWS is better for a full platform is a f**king idiot. They get you in with cheap offerings and scalability, then 2 years down the line when you're settled they absolutely hammer your arse until it's bleeding
It really shouldn't come as a surprise that they lure you in then just ramp up costs because they know lots cba to migrate off.

Our client is having to do a lot of work because of AWS' new public IP pricing, I think they have something like 14,000 public IPs in use so that is both a huge cost and a huge bit of work to reduce.

Our colo offering has been doing well from those who read one article about someone getting hacked on AWS so that's on good thing.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah its a good site mate. Only real difference between MS E3 and Biz premium is the mailbox sizes from memory.

Their naming conventions are diabolical. for example, Microsoft E3 or 365 E3 (very different licences).

Don't get me started on Teams voice licencing!
Essentially yes, 50GB to 100GB.

Speaking of this, if anyone does need MS licensing and its a small/medium company or yourself. Happy to help on that.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It really shouldn't come as a surprise that they lure you in then just ramp up costs because they know lots cba to migrate off.

Our client is having to do a lot of work because of AWS' new public IP pricing, I think they have something like 14,000 public IPs in use so that is both a huge cost and a huge bit of work to reduce.

Our colo offering has been doing well from those who read one article about someone getting hacked on AWS so that's on good thing.
We're hoping that AWS annihilating people for prices will help us with Colo customers. I've currently got over 100 racks sat empty and more to come with further brand/platform consolidations

By the end of the year I should be able to free up a further 52 racks minimum (hopefully). It used to scare me under GoDaddy to have so many racks in whitespace, now we've been bought out I'm a lot more forgiving and we want to fill them opposed to letting them sit empty

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
We're hoping that AWS annihilating people for prices will help us with Colo customers. I've currently got over 100 racks sat empty and more to come with further brand/platform consolidations

By the end of the year I should be able to free up a further 52 racks minimum (hopefully). It used to scare me under GoDaddy to have so many racks in whitespace, now we've been bought out I'm a lot more forgiving and we want to fill them opposed to letting them sit empty
Who you working for now fam?
Where's the colo again?

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Heres the thing, MS Exchange will never go back on premise. Fact.

However, infrastructure and servers will go back on prem / colo again.

After beancounters realise its a wild west for virtual "cloud" offerings.
I think its going to take another route yet.

Hybrid colo.

The management stack will be SAAS but the physical tin will be on prem/colo. I am seeing a few people investigate Azure HCI and HPE Greenlake.

I am not convinced yet that its for the best, but with the uncertainty of the Broadcom acquisition its worrying the stakeholders.

Something else I am seeing is big corporations offloading their manufacturing to preferred partners. This absolves the corp of all the upgrade costs/headaches/vulnerabilities and lets them focus on making money.

I see IT like Education. Everything goes round in 20 year cycles. There is rarely any innovation.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Works out cheaper to have biz premium and bang on exchange plan 2 🤌🏽
Need to remember M365 and O365 are different.
M365 comes with Windows licence now.

These are yearly prices, note cheaper than MS ;)
Bus Prem = £200 & EX P2 = £72 - Total: £272
In-Place Archive, 100 GB mailbox and messages up to 150 MB, Cloud Voicemail services with call answering, dial-in UI, and automated attendant
Up to 300 users

E3 - £370
Office 365 E3, Enterprise Mobility + Security E3, and Windows 10/11 Enterprise E3. This per-user licensed suite of products offers users best-in-class productivity across devices while providing IT security and control.

Easy saving on that.

However up to 300 users swings people and they have to move.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Need to remember M365 and O365 are different.
M365 comes with Windows licence now.

These are yearly prices, note cheaper than MS ;)
Bus Prem = £200 & EX P2 = £72 - Total: £272
In-Place Archive, 100 GB mailbox and messages up to 150 MB, Cloud Voicemail services with call answering, dial-in UI, and automated attendant
Up to 300 users

E3 - £370
Office 365 E3, Enterprise Mobility + Security E3, and Windows 10/11 Enterprise E3. This per-user licensed suite of products offers users best-in-class productivity across devices while providing IT security and control.

Easy saving on that.

However up to 300 users swings people and they have to move.

Yep ms and office gets people confused a lot. And tbh, you can see why 🤣

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Had a guy complain that the web filter was blocking his p**n and wanted to exclude his laptop. Only problem with that was his wife was the approver for any changes.

Had another CEO complaining that we ruined his Sunday because of the web filtering blocking his p**n sites.

When looking in the Sophos portal to fix an issue for a user his web activity was all gay p**n sites that were being blocked.

User was having a OneDrive sync issue, connected up and went to the online web page version and it was full of naked/semi naked pictures.

Last edited:

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I swear we work at the same place.

I bet a whole british pound it was "encoded" in Excel and had a smattering of VBA from Dave that left in 2003.
Very possible.

Dave definitely did something like that. But its "always worked" and never had any issues.

Except when the moon is on a crescent and the clocks go back on the same day. Then it doesnt work, for many days until someone prods it.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure how funny it is, but this was so sweet.

I work in support, but a few of my jobs have also involved some toolset coding or bug fixing. I was looking at a major issue for a customer and writing a fix for the problem. They'd changed something upstream which "shouldn't have any impact" but..... yeah.......... we all know how that goes. This was an overnight run problem, so as long as it was fixed within the next working day we'd be all good.

We got a C-level management escalation out of the blue. Some tiny peen MBA drone middle manager had decided we all needed to get on a call right now and was very upset indeed that his authority was not being respected.

So we join this call and it's full of the great and the good, senior management from both my company and their company, and this total throbber is shouting the odds about why it isn't fixed yet, why are support dealing with it and not an experienced developer, why hasn't it been escalated, why did it happen and why was he told he couldn't have a call. Absolute classic clueless ranty escalation.

After about fifteen minutes of this, I was able to calmly point out:

The problem is because they made a change in their upstream system without telling us.
We were happy to have a call, but their team made the choice to let me crack on with fixing the problem instead.
We acknowledged their escalation request, and explained to them that no-one knows this code as well as I do and there is no-one better than me to fix it.
I know how to fix it and just need a little more time to finish the coding.
All of this was documented and agreed on the support ticket.

Could have heard a pin drop.

Then their CTO just very calmly said "Thank you for the update. I think we should let you go and finish the fix and we should make sure everyone on our side has read the ticket in future."

It was simply beautiful.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I'm not sure how funny it is, but this was so sweet.

I work in support, but a few of my jobs have also involved some toolset coding or bug fixing. I was looking at a major issue for a customer and writing a fix for the problem. They'd changed something upstream which "shouldn't have any impact" but..... yeah.......... we all know how that goes. This was an overnight run problem, so as long as it was fixed within the next working day we'd be all good.

We got a C-level management escalation out of the blue. Some tiny peen MBA drone middle manager had decided we all needed to get on a call right now and was very upset indeed that his authority was not being respected.

So we join this call and it's full of the great and the good, senior management from both my company and their company, and this total throbber is shouting the odds about why it isn't fixed yet, why are support dealing with it and not an experienced developer, why hasn't it been escalated, why did it happen and why was he told he couldn't have a call. Absolute classic clueless ranty escalation.

After about fifteen minutes of this, I was able to calmly point out:

The problem is because they made a change in their upstream system without telling us.
We were happy to have a call, but their team made the choice to let me crack on with fixing the problem instead.
We acknowledged their escalation request, and explained to them that no-one knows this code as well as I do and there is no-one better than me to fix it.
I know how to fix it and just need a little more time to finish the coding.
All of this was documented and agreed on the support ticket.

Could have heard a pin drop.

Then their CTO just very calmly said "Thank you for the update. I think we should let you go and finish the fix and we should make sure everyone on our side has read the ticket in future."

It was simply beautiful.
Always great to hear that people like this do sometimes get what they're due.
All too often these whoppers stir up fuss and no one calls them out.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
1st liners, doing 1st liner stuff

c4417f14-eed5-4df6-a571-4133d55ca140.jpeg

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
i feel like i'm losing braincells today, i forget some of the younger generation have never worked with On-prem security permissions

1714062514155.jpeg

Naming a Security group totally sets the permissions to deny 🤦‍♂️
"I named the group Deny so they know they don't have access to the folder" 🤦‍♂️