ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F26 fuse blows every time - after bump from the road

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Hi everyone,
Yesterday drove and was a stiff step on asphalt. After that, my instrument lighting gone off. Also the left side lights not work (at front + back) and left windows lighting also off. My car is alft hand drive.
Chacked all the fuses and the only one that was blown was F26 that responsible to side lights by the dialogys PDF's (But why the instrument also not work?). I replaced that fuse and after trying to turn the lights on, It is also had blown.:(
Now, I think that It have a short circuit in some place. Tried to find but without luck.

What you suggest besides going to stealers ?
Does the "CLIP" can show the problem ?
It's a 172FF MK2 K registry with multiflex.

Thank you.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Firtsly check the front and rear sidelight bulbs on that side! Maybe number plate light? where is that fed from? may be the same place!

Clio MkII 172 K reg
You say that if one of sidelights bulbs at this side is blown, It can keep blow the fuse ?

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
First check all the devices that are on that cct. If and lamps etc are blown replace them. Re-fit fuse and check.

Check all connections, plugs etc and if possible dissconnect them all (that are on the faulty cct), refit fuse, test.

Then gradually plug items back into cct. If fuse blows then you should be able to pinpoint fault.

If still blowing fuse then you will have to visualy check cables and use a multimeter on resistance (Ohms range)

Also check the instrument binacle plug (one that should be on the back of the dials) if you can.

Otherwise you wil have to get it to an auto electrician, not cheap.

LY 182
little trick of the trade,, pull the fuse out, get yourself a 12v bulb holder and bulb and crimp some male spade terminals on it and plug it in where the fuse goes.
if circuit is ok you should never have more than a dim glow..
if it lights up bright (which it will in your case) you have a short circuit.
you can then go round the system manipulating wiring/pulling bulbs out untill the bulb goes down to a dim glow..

clip wont help you mate, good olf fashion diagnostics for this one.

Clio MkII 172 K reg
update:
Today took it to stealers. After 4.5 hours of trying to find the problem the electric finally found the short circuit. It was at radio place (it is not the original one). Turned out that some idiot:mad: that did the connection to radio, leaved in the big black connector single wire without cover and at the other side was connected light blue wire that responsible to the left side lights wiring. After bump, the single wire touched the metal frame of the radio and done all this. stupid and simple problem but took a half day to find.:cry: :cry: :cry:
Tomorrow I hope to take it out.

P.S
There is any Renault taarif for this kind of work or the garage can charge for all the hours that took him to find it ?

LY 182
they should have asked you how far they can go with it ie if you gave them go ahead to spend 4 hours on it they will charge you for it.
if they only got go ahead from you for 2 hours thats all they can charge you.
if they didnt ask at all you can argue that you would have told them to stop after an hour.

Clio MkII 172 K reg
The problem is that I was there all the time but I never thought that it will take so long just to find it. The electric worked on it all the time (besides half hour lunch break - that not count into bill) but still... I'm not responsible that he found the problem only after 4+ hours of working on it.

LY 182
yes but if you were there and didnt tell him to stop then you had given consent therefor they can charge time spent on it.