ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R kit car. Sump and bell housing.

Twingo RS
Thanks for the replies.

Why out of interest. Surely there are much better engines for that application?

I have a Clio 182 sitting here, its great but it needs some money spending on it to make it really track focused. I'm thinking, buy an unfinnished caterham type car and fit it with the F4R. Then just break the rest of the 182. Either that or sell the 182 and buy a cheap F4R. The F4R is a great engine and I love tinkering in the garage. I would maybe run it on ITBs, get rid of the defibrillator pulley and run it with megasquirt or somthing similar. Just wondering if there are any off the shelf bellhousing and gearbox adaption parts available.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
Good a reason as any mate. Presumably you would run it length ways like it was in the formula Renault single seater?

No off the shelf parts, ford mt75 bix and custom bell housing will work.

What kit are you considering? Will be tight fit in a 7 type car even with dry sump.

Twingo RS
No off the shelf parts, ford mt75 bix and custom bell housing will work.

What kit are you considering? Will be tight fit in a 7 type car even with dry sump.

It would be whatever I can find cheap. There are a lot of cheap unfinnished MK Indys around right now but they are quite tight in the engine bay. The F4R is a comparitively tall engine compared to the Zetecs and Vauxhalls isnt it?

172 Race Car
sell/break the clio and buy a zetec lump. very common engine to convert to north/south so plenty of bits out there

Twingo RS
sell/break the clio and buy a zetec lump. very common engine to convert to north/south so plenty of bits out there

No doubt the most sensible solution. But if your a bit of a Renault fanboy and you dont mind endless phone calls and hours spent tiddling around with a tape measure and a welder then surely it must be an option?

Do it please.

I know someone who is looking for a fitting end for his 172 and keen on trying a severn-type build. We've discussed the options for rs clios in this type of app many times but it has stalled when we think of the number of custom fabrications required...

It would be whatever I can find cheap. There are a lot of cheap unfinnished MK Indys around right now but they are quite tight in the engine bay. The F4R is a comparitively tall engine compared to the Zetecs and Vauxhalls isnt it?

That's what I thought. The F4r isn't exactly small. I assumed this was why most 7 style cars run pinto or vaux/lotus twin cam.

That said. Good on you if you give it a go. I always thought power delivery wise it would be a cracking little engine to drop in something in the region of 600kgs :D

Clio 182 FF
To be fair the F4R isn't exactly a bad engine, but yeah most people go for XEs or Zetecs.

The N/A 2L Zetec in my Dad's Westfield is running 250BHP... but that's had a fair few quid spent on it from when it was a 130BHP stock engine about to be put in a 2L Mondeo! Your F4R is already at 170BHP+ and TBH that's all you really need in a Seven :).

Twingo RS
Do it please.

I know someone who is looking for a fitting end for his 172 and keen on trying a severn-type build. We've discussed the options for rs clios in this type of app many times but it has stalled when we think of the number of custom fabrications required...

There would be quite a lot but thats part of the fun I suppose, making it look pukka. I'm thinking about the money side of things and if its not too much more than the Zetec install then i'd be up for it. If I ever get round to doing it there will be a thread going with pics and details for people to copy.

Twingo RS
That's what I thought. The F4r isn't exactly small. I assumed this was why most 7 style cars run pinto or vaux/lotus twin cam.

That said. Good on you if you give it a go. I always thought power delivery wise it would be a cracking little engine to drop in something in the region of 600kgs :D

They are a great engine, I'd get so much pleasure from opening the bonnet and seeing it in there.

Twingo RS
To be fair the F4R isn't exactly a bad engine, but yeah most people go for XEs or Zetecs.

The N/A 2L Zetec in my Dad's Westfield is running 250BHP... but that's had a fair few quid spent on it from when it was a 130BHP stock engine about to be put in a 2L Mondeo! Your F4R is already at 170BHP+ and TBH that's all you really need in a Seven :).

My particular F4R is producing 181.6 BHP so would be just nice. 250 BHP must be very satisfying indeed :cool:

If you are serious speak to Matt at TDF, I've already had some provisional discussions with him along these lines and they can definitely help.

Twingo RS
Last edited:
Would be great as the f4r would really suit this type of car IMO, I'd do it but I lack both the build budget and suitable chassis.