ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO everyone, Lambda sensors

ValverInBits
I just thought i'd better post up and let you all know about my finidings when changing lambda sensors.

On my valver:
Changed the lambda sensor (which was utterly fubared) for a nice new NGK one (£54ish iirc). The NGK seems a better part than bosch BTW, comes better packaged with plastic gaurd and copperslip applied.
Results: Tickover - faultlessly smooth, MPG WAY up (although not measured, still easily noticed), Noticably quicker too.

On my Ph2 172 (2002):
Changed the upstream (before cat) lambda when doing my 182 manifold and decat conversion. Went for a Bosch lambda as the NGK was about £98 and this bosch part set me back £56.61+vat from central auto supplies. Seemed really easy to remove the old one on a car of this age.

Results: Can't make any comments on power gains as this will be mostly down to the 182 manifold and decat. MPG - This is where it get's interesting - Holding the car at 80 (kmph) on a flat stretch of motorway, I reset the MPG reader. The first figure that came up was 47.5mpg! I repeated the same 30 mile journey i had done with my old lambda at the same sort of pace (pretty quick ;) ) and MPG for the 30 miles is now 33.5 up from 28.3! Which is an improvement of 5.2 MPG. At £1.10 per litre the lambda has paid for itself in 2217 miles

From these experiences, I'd advise anyone who is experiencing unusually poor MPG to change their lambda for a good quality, brand new replacement.

shoot me down if im an idiot, but the evidence here seems convicing enough for me.

172 MKII FF
My MPG dropped a while back (when it started to get cold) and I put it down to the low temperatures but recently i've noticed a slightly poor tick over. I'm not sure where to start because I dont want to go forking out loads for coilpack, HT leads, sparks etc. Initially I was going to start with the sparks.

Would I need to replace both Lambda sensors, I have a 172 FF (2002).

172 MKII FF
Would like to mention that I used to get around 31 - 33 mpg but now i'm getting on average 26, 27 or 28 never over that.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Excellent post mate. I've been trying to drive economically and altho I can get 100 miles on the gauges last quarter, I can never seem to get more than about 33mpg per tank. That's with it being ragged every now and again. Thinking I might change my lambda soon but thinking of a new car so not to sure.

Was that 30 mile trip all motorway? Would I save more driving calmly on 40/50mph roads?

ValverInBits
My MPG dropped a while back (when it started to get cold) and I put it down to the low temperatures but recently i've noticed a slightly poor tick over. I'm not sure where to start because I dont want to go forking out loads for coilpack, HT leads, sparks etc. Initially I was going to start with the sparks.

NO. Just the upstream (precat). The downstream doesent even need to be in there. AS FAR AS I AM AWARE. It is pureley diagnostic.

ValverInBits
Excellent post mate. I've been trying to drive economically and altho I can get 100 miles on the gauges last quarter, I can never seem to get more than about 33mpg per tank. That's with it being ragged every now and again. Thinking I might change my lambda soon but thinking of a new car so not to sure.

Was that 30 mile trip all motorway? Would I save more driving calmly on 40/50mph roads?

No, 1 jct on M40, mostly short stretches of dual carriageway, roundabouts and an extremely high revving spirited B road drive.

Interesting...the last time I checked my MPG it was a naff 32..I have just replaced my o2 sensor before cat..so hopefully its better.

ValverInBits
I'm going to :bump: this again. If your fuel economy is out. Try this please and spare us excess threads.
Cheers :)

RS RIP
was redirected to this thread ; changed mine a month ago and forgot to check for the NGK one :boring: .. went to the Renault dealer for one (pre-cat) and payed around 70 pounds for the lesser quality :(

Black Gold with cup packs

NO. Just the upstream (precat). The downstream doesent even need to be in there. AS FAR AS I AM AWARE. It is pureley diagnostic.

downstream hego sensor' purpose is to make sure the upstream hego is correcting air/fuel ratio ie Lambda,via the use of the CAT

So if the downstream lambda sensor is shagged it is likley to c**k up the fueling and air flow!

Not sure wheather to change mine on the fezza of love, its 13 years old and has probably never been changed so i might do, probably quite cheap

The downstream is just there for diagnostic BTW, (I think its to stop all you PEN15s putting decats on your cars!)

Yeah your right in what you say but it doesnt actually need to be there just as a warning that its overfuelling.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Have some running issues and wondering if a Lambda sensor fault would always be spotted on CLIP?

Chap at Renault did sasy the O2 sensors were all ok but I do not trust them :dapprove:

ValverInBits
Have some running issues and wondering if a Lambda sensor fault would always be spotted on CLIP?

Chap at Renault did sasy the O2 sensors were all ok but I do not trust them :dapprove:
running issues are normally bad fueling (jerky and unresponsive) from cold. ECU will not always see an error.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
I'm bumping this one...I've got a fault on Bank 1. In need of replacement, on a 1.2 16v is there any procedure that needs to be followed when changing? Its my first time changing one on these....

PH-QUICK
I'm bumping this one...I've got a fault on Bank 1. In need of replacement, on a 1.2 16v is there any procedure that needs to be followed when changing? Its my first time changing one on these....

All in the haynes book, very difficult to get out mind.

PH-QUICK
are there 2 on a 182? I only noticed one at the rear end of my decat. Where is the other one? Cheers

Should be one before the cat which is the business one and then one pointless one after the cat, so hopefully you should have the pre cat lambda in and the other one removed with no consequence.

mk2 1.2 16v
Does anyone know where I can buy an NGK lambda sensor for a 1.2 16v? They don't seem to sell them online and can't find anywhere that stocks them.

Also, it was mentioned that they are difficult to remove. Is this true? And if so then in what sense?

Cheers