ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO members near glasgow

Planning on heading down to Birchdown within the next month or so for a service/cambelt replacement, seems to be the place people are recommending on here.

There's a few things I'm not quite happy about with the car such as

(http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=443523)

and was thinking if there's a few things needing replaced I'd be as well getting the parts ordered so they can be fitted down there to make the most of the 8hr odd trip! :dead:

Anyway, I'm rubbish with cars :eek: and was wondering if anyone would be willing to check it out please?

Cheers

Lee

Porsche Boxster987S
i made the journey to birchdown from airdrie. Worth every penny. Theyre awesome and offer crackin prices! Id take the meg back down

i made the journey to birchdown from airdrie. Worth every penny. Theyre awesome and offer crackin prices! Id take the meg back down

How much was it for a service and belts, did you get any other work done?

Think my girlfriend will be coming down with me is there anythin to do down there or do you just have to sit about waiting, heard its in the middle of nowhere?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Why arent you taking it to Kenny Brown....?

Sure he said to me it was like £240 for the cambelt change if you supply the parts...

172cup
There is a guy over Tranent who has just opened, ex renault with 25 years experience i was going to check him out. Kenny Brown is good.

Porsche Boxster987S
How much was it for a service and belts, did you get any other work done?

Think my girlfriend will be coming down with me is there anythin to do down there or do you just have to sit about waiting, heard its in the middle of nowhere?

I had both belts changed , brakes seen to , exhaust fixed and coilovers fitted and set up. All in it cost 580ish. Superb service. I went down with the mrs too, you get the famous reno kangoo van for the day and we headed to the shops , got some food , went a walk and went back for the car. We stayed in a welcome break at manchester and made the rest of the journey the day after:)

Why arent you taking it to Kenny Brown....?

Sure he said to me it was like £240 for the cambelt change if you supply the parts...

Hadn't really heard of this guy, apart from IIRC someone saying he was "a bit of a cowboy" on some other post?

Do they have the proper Renault tools, heard it f's it up if these aren't used and something along the lines of "places claim to use them but
don't actually have them"?

How much are the parts, is it not over 100?

If he's gonna do a good job and other people recommend it that would be awesome if it saves me an 8hr trip :D

cheers

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Hadn't really heard of this guy, apart from IIRC someone saying he was "a bit of a cowboy" on some other post?

Do they have the proper Renault tools, heard it f's it up if these aren't used and something along the lines of "places claim to use them but
don't actually have them"?

How much are the parts, is it not over 100?

If he's gonna do a good job and other people recommend it that would be awesome if it saves me an 8hr trip :D

cheers

Truth be told mate, he preps Subaru's and Evo's for rally work to the highest order, im pretty sure he can change a timing belt on a Clio.

I took my car there to get serviced, cracking set up he has, nothing cow boy about it...

There was an RS6 in getting serviced when i was there...

Give him a buzz tomorrow...

0141 882 6757

Truth be told mate, he preps Subaru's and Evo's for rally work to the highest order, im pretty sure he can change a timing belt on a Clio.

I took my car there to get serviced, cracking set up he has, nothing cow boy about it...

There was an RS6 in getting serviced when i was there...

Give him a buzz tomorrow...

0141 882 6757

Cheers will give it a try today...

Also heard quite a few people going on about getting the belts changed then a few months later the dephaser pulley going, meaning paying for the belts again.

Would it be wise to change this also?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Nothing against their work...But tbh, it's no rocket science to do the work. Falkland etc can do the service to an equally high std and not cost you time/money/mileage!

Contacted Kenny Brown, Birchdown and Falkland today...

1) Kenny Brown: Seemed decent but to be honest wasn't that helpful.

Said he would charge about £320 for the labour and whatever the cost of the parts were from renault.

Didn't know what the prices were and said I should phone renault.

He recommended changing dephaser pulley and water pump also.

Phoned renault to get a quote for the parts:

-timing belt kit £163.60
-aux kit £136.96
-dephaser pulley £130.71
-water pump £70.90

TOTAL: £502.17!!!! Just for the parts :dead:

2) Birchdown: £583.55 for belts and 48k service.

Seemed a lot more helpful and said with the dephaser or water pump they would check that anyway and only replace if it was needed.

3) Falkland: £620 for belts and service.

Spoke to a guy called Kevin who was by far the most helpful out of everyone I've spoken to. Said they'd just had an rs clio in the other week.

He wasn't sure what I was on about regarding the dephaser pulley but said if there was anything they found and were unhappy about they'd let me know etc.

Reckon I'l prob go with them as by the the time I've paid for petrol to get to Birchdown Falkland's gonna work out cheaper, also only about an hours drive by the looks of it!

So cheers to Ali for the recommendation :)

Sorry for the huge post

Porsche Boxster987S
when i phoned Kenny Brown the guy i spoke to on the phone was a knob tbh. Wasnt interested at all and was very dry. Falkland quoted me alot more than birchdown did even with the fuel cost but that was for 36k service with belts changed and coilies fitted.

It may benefit to you go to somewhere like GSF or euro car parts & get the parts from there if your supplying your own bits. I guess at the end of theday it all depends if you want the stuff to come in a renault box or not.

when i phoned Kenny Brown the guy i spoke to on the phone was a knob tbh. Wasnt interested at all and was very dry. Falkland quoted me alot more than birchdown did even with the fuel cost but that was for 36k service with belts changed and coilies fitted.

Agreed on the guy on the phone...

From the quotes I've got Falkland seems to make sense: £500 for renault belts and £120 for the service.

Birchdown belts were whats on their site + £147 service so not much in it.

It may benefit to you go to somewhere like GSF or euro car parts & get the parts from there if your supplying your own bits. I guess at the end of theday it all depends if you want the stuff to come in a renault box or not.

I'm not that bothered to be honest, birchdown said the Gates ones are made by the same people that make the renault stuff anyway?

I pm'd autonation to see if they had the parts and what they're charging