ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few Qs for experienced people :)

350z GT
Couple of Qs if any one could answer them please.

Ive been trying some slower and fast shutter speeds recently, and whilst the ones at around 1200 have come out fine...any quicker and the pictures go dark??

Same with the slower shutter speeds, the picture just ends up being white??

Last Q :)

Are you guys using conventional batterys in your camera?? As mine is going through them like crazy atm and its costing me a fortune

cheers
Stu

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
you need to start ajusting your ISO to compensate, your depth of field will also effect this. there are a couple of good threads on here about it. you cant really just ajust shutter speed without the rest

350z GT
Hmmm not sure if camera will let me mess with that...ill have a play

think its time for an upgrade tbh

350z GT
Fuji Finepix st1730

just a bridge camera i bought to test the water....cant attach any lenses or filters though :(

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
bridge cameras are a waste of time imo.. pick yourself up a decent 2nd hand canon or nikon..

The speed is how long the shutter stays open and thus how much light it lets in.

Ignoring aperture which will change things..

1200sec is very fast. So the shutter is opening and closing very quickly so only a small amount of light gets in. On the opposite scale, if it's open for a few seconds with the same amount of light available, then you get too much light which ruins the shot.

Cupra
If you want to play with shutter speed and are still learning, stick it in Tv (or whatever the Fuji equivalent is). The camera will automatically adjust the aperture to give you a balanced exposure.

It sounds like you are in full manual.

350z GT
Yeah i normally use a faster shutter speed with everything else in manual....

just cant seem to take the longer shots etc for light trails without just getting a white screen :/

any thoughts on the battery issue :) and yes i only bought it to see if i was interested in photography as a hobby so will upgrade soon i think

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Stupid question, but the light trails... are you doing this an hour or two after the sun has set, or during your lunch break ?

Batteries.. no idea, I use the Canon battery in my 7D. I used to have a Fuji Bridge, and don't remember how often it ate them. I used high powered rechargables anyway. Something like a 2500+mAh rechargable set + charger from Jessops will do you fine (presuming they're AA's?).

Bridge cameras are just fine, better than a cheap point and click, but no where near as adaptable as a D-SLR. If you can afford to, upgrade. If not, just let the camera do the hard work, put it in a 'mode' and work on your composition etc. for the shot to suit.

350z GT
Well i havent tried any light trails yet lol i was just practising the slower speeds during the day...just on trees etc

I imagine it wouldnt give me a white screen at night as there is a lot less light around....i also couldnt shoot at Le Mans at night because i needed a pretty fast shutter speed to shoot the cars, just couldnt get the light in :/ granted i didnt adjust ISO then

350z GT
Woo :) stopped off on the way home from work last night on a bridge and had a play with the settingd etc :)

Managed to get some lovely trails and worked out what to change when shooting in the dark...thanks for everyones advice

ill post em up in here soon :)