ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fibre installation time lines

DCi
Anyone been through a fibre install and have an idea of how long BT take to install?

The fibre checker changed from Field Survey to Build on the BT site last week which says 'typically 5 months'

This morning a couple of BT vans with a huge spool of fibre were hanging around near my green box as I left for work so wonder if I can expect any quicker availability

If I was back at my parents with 10mb broadband I wouldn't even care but here I get about 1mb on a good day so I want fibre Asap!!

Been "on the list" for 3 years since I bought my flat. It has only just become available last week but I moved out 6 months ago lol.

A new green box appeared at the end of the street a few months back though.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I gave up waiting and bought virgins vivid 200 setup.

There's a more advanced cabinet/exchange checker somewhere. I'll see if I can find the link I used.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
We've just moved into a none fibre area at the moment. Supposed to be coming soon. I've not set the modem up yet as the socket in the lounge needs replacing.

We are with BT and they said as soon as another box gets made etc it's an easy swap, we shall see. But going from 35mg to 3mg will be emotional

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Typically if you live in a rural area all the local infrastructure will he owned by BT/Openreach anyway, so swapping providers may not get you internet any quicker. If you're in a major city other providers are expanding their infrastructure so may be good to shop around

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
That's what I found when I moved house. Was going to go with virgin but there was no fibre yet. Like you say the lines are owned by bt

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Household fibre broadband will be fibres ran to a street cab where BT or whoever will house their DSLAM Exchange equipment, closer you are to a DSLAM the better, in rural zones its sometimes possible toblibe closer to an exchange than a fibre enabled street cab, meaning you'd get faster lines rates. Of course this all depends on the age of the copper and your bandwidth limits.

Businesses normally have more money to throw around so can get fibres ran into their building for true full fibre broadband but that's another story

DCi
Well it's finally here according to the Bt checker however... BT haven't released the cabinet to the other suppliers

One day....

Mito Sportiva 135
Is this your cabinet upgrade via OpenReach? If so, our project was approved in September last year but not meant to be effective until November this year

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Bt are bloody useless. I registered fit updates on fibre in our area. First thing I heard about it was an upgrade letter from sky. 4 months later bt write telling me fibre is available. No s**t sherlock, I've been using it for 4 months nearly. Must try harder.

DCi
Is this your cabinet upgrade via OpenReach? If so, our project was approved in September last year but not meant to be effective until November this year
Its on the openreach plan

Go back to build on the tracker and no sign of upgrade

They've done one approx a mile away so they are in the area at least