ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fibreglass Suspension Springs anyone?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Hmm It just doesn't seem right.

I'm sure it's been tested to buggery but my brain just says no.

I'd be interested to see how they are long term, or if they are structurally more solid or weaker than the steel ones.

Not surprised though, we've gone from metals to carbon-fiber for body strength, so it was only a matter of time.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It was only a matter of time. Fibre/Polymer composites don't corrode or fatigue. If they are rated highly enough then only a massive impact will brake them and that would generally brake other components anyway.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Pity BMW didn't do these with the e46 m3! Forever rusting and snapping the rear springs

Leon Cupra 300
Presumably fails in a safer way too, i.e. metal just fails completely, fibrous materials tend to break more gradually.
Tbh it's the opposite... Metals bend, composites take a lot then snap without much warning..

I'm more concerned with the new generation composite body airliners. It's unknown territory how they'll take the cycles.

I'm more concerned with the new generation composite body airliners. It's unknown territory how they'll take the cycles.

Usually they're way way stronger though than the counter-part metals, so while it seems insane, in reality you're safer :)
The key bits will likely still be metal (where the wings are joined etc to allow the same flex they have currently).

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Usually they're way way stronger though than the counter-part metals, so while it seems insane, in reality you're safer :smile:
The key bits will likely still be metal (where the wings are joined etc to allow the same flex they have currently).

think thats what he meant by "cycles"

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
its more than heat cycles though. but i get what your saying.

"cycles" has a wide scope lol

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Tbh it's the opposite... Metals bend, composites take a lot then snap without much warning..

Trust me they'll take the cycles alright. We had a static test aircraft in Munich that went through the extremes of flexing...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414091415.749067.jpg

In the end after 50000 plus cycles of up down we gave up as we just couldn't get it to snap.

Leon Cupra 300
I presumed he meant heat cycles, ie flights :]

But yep, that makes more sense! :]

its more than heat cycles though. but i get what your saying.

"cycles" has a wide scope lol

I meant flight cycles (1 take off and 1 landing is 1 cycle) which I'm assuming takes everything (heat etc) into account.

Trust me they'll take the cycles alright. We had a static test aircraft in Munich that went through the extremes of flexing...

View attachment 115779

In the end after 50000 plus cycles of up down we gave up as we just couldn't get it to snap.

Very interesting. Thanks

Clio 1.4; focus 2.0
Fiber glass strands with an epoxy resin... I was extremely skeptical until I read the article, now I'm less so, but still don't know if I trust it. Steel has a nice property of being extremely flexible making it ideal for springs, while as fiber glass is stronger than steel but more brittle. Only time will really tell if it's better. I'd prefer not to replace something every 10k for a mere 40% weight savings... Especially when springs aren't really that heavy anyway. I'd be all for fiberglass control arms or something didn't have to (or shouldn't) flex though...