ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally bought my 172 Cup!

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I wrote on here a while back to introduce myself, and have now bought a clio 172 cup, as the title suggests. So far I am very pleased with it, and plan on slowly building a rally car from it, hence I don't mind the few problems mine has. As always, the steering wheel is well and truly trashed, also the airbag and emissions lights are on (simple fixes apparently), as well as the boot not opening due to a failed solenoid. I think the failed solenoid has caused the door open warning light to come on too... Also the interior light isn't working, and it is neither the bulb nor the fuse, which is a little more concerning than the other issues, but only a minor problem, as the car will receive a co driver map light anyway.
I would definitely be interested to hear from any other clio "rallyists" or owners, and I am really loving the car, certainly enough to pull away from my friends type r and rx8 at low speed! I am finding it pretty skittish into corners, especially under braking, but nothing concerning.
Cheers!
PS, this photo is on the way home from collecting the car, taken by my friend in the 100HP Panda.

Attachments

• 11873915_10153130712608230_1672425714_n.jpg
    11873915_10153130712608230_1672425714_n.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 94
  PH2 RS172
ha ha i just bought a 172 cup last week to replace my 172 with. mine will be for the road though. well chuffed with it. took me ages to find one local though, they all seem to be on the south coast lol

Listerine & Poledo
skittish? rear shocks may be bummed.
Rally-racing an RX-8 & Type-R.....which special stage was that on?

Renault Clio 182 BG
Any plans for the engine or leave it standard? Tbh i haven't really heard of many going for the rally route, normally track cars obviously
As mentioned above rear shocks could be causing the skittish behaviour, when I first bought my 182 it had Kenda tyres and V-maxx suspension, ditch finder to say the least!
I miss my 172 cup so much :(

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
TheMaskedUnit all the ones I could find were in Lancashire! I am from the South Coast and living in Oxford, so that would have been far more welcome!

Goodj I fitted a set of half decent tyres I had kicking around to it today and it completely cured the problem. I noticed the tyres on it were not matching and not of great quality. Not to mention the silly 17" wheels, which have come off in favour of a set of 15's. My friends with the RX8 and Type R don't rally, but on a little countryside blast they got left aha!

Clio 172NE I do have big plans to build an engine for it (I am an automotive engineering student, so realistic plans) but I need to keep it naturally aspirated due to regs. I would quite like to do a track day, just for the experience. I really love driving the car, it is so involving keeping the brakes from locking and balancing the car on bumpy corners. I wouldn't trade my cup for anything! What happened to yours?

Renault Clio 182 BG
Thats one of the things I loved about mine, you knew there was no driver aids so it was down to keeping it smooth and balanced, always unsettling on a wet road when you had left braking to last moment though!
I just sold it, thought I wanted some RWD, I was wrong. The lad I sold mine to has given me first refusal if he sell's
Good luck with it all, I would love to have the second car and the space to rebuild it how I like. Keep us updated

PH2 RS172
typical isnt it! was the one in lancs on ebay? if it was i saw that! there are two really nice looking ones on ebay atm but theyre up for 3k! bit too pricey that for me but they look really clean

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
There's a guy in South Wales who refurbishes brakes and uses a Trophy for rally (and track) use.