ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FINALLY - Top mount modified part from Renault!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Mines 10 years old now and i havnt got any creaking just knocking :(

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My 182 is 7 years old, had it from new, still low miles - creaks like mad. Looking forward to hearing from Fred on this one.

Dodgy one
I get the odd knock over rough surfaces but thats all, i dont suffer with any creaking. Still i'lmbe fitting the modified parts to get rid of that knock.

Then ive just got a load of rattles to sort :)

Clio 172 (2)Clio 16v
Whats the part num for this man i work in renault and the lad in parts doesn know what im on bout and the creakin drivin me mad!!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Were is the creaking noise coming from as mine is doing it! I had a bew ball joint on a while ago which stopped it, but its back again now! Only the left side again aswell??

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Fitted mine (complete set with topmounts). So far so good....

Could you give us more details, I'm very keen to get this done. Which parts exactly were they, how much to buy and how much to fit? It would be a great help, thanks.

182 cup
Could you give us more details, I'm very keen to get this done. Which parts exactly were they, how much to buy and how much to fit? It would be a great help, thanks.

Complete kit from Renault, fitted them my self so fitting =£0, paid for the pair £100, includes the bearings top mounts, the new style inserts/nuts, top hats and nuts.
I'll find part no's in a bit...

Focus ST-3
Complete kit from Renault, fitted them my self so fitting =£0, paid for the pair £100, includes the bearings top mounts, the new style inserts/nuts, top hats and nuts.
I'll find part no's in a bit...

Part numbers would be good, cheers mate! So these new style inserts/nuts can't be fitted with the existing top mount set up? You need to replace the whole lot?

182 cup
Part no's:
R54 3A 097 80R top mount kit
R82 00 867 250 insert

To be honest I needed to replace the bearings in mine so got the kit anyway, so never checked the new style insert to the old top mounts :eek:

Focus ST-3
Ok mate cheers.

Fred - have you had any joy fitting the new part to the existing top mounts??

182 cup
Paid a bit more attention to the new top mounts today. there is a change to the top hat design. The new ones have a flat underside where on the old ones there is a spigot...

182 cup
So you deffo need the top mount kit aswell as the new insert?

The only two differences I can notice is the top hat design and the new type insert.
The new insert fits in the old top mounts, but if you use the old type top hat then you don't have enough thread on the shock to get it fully down (need anothe 2mm mmm ish). Can't see why you can't gring of most/all the spigot though so in essense you modify the old type top hat to the new style.

Not sure if you canget the new style top hats on their on either.

Hope this helps

Charles

Focus ST-3
Yes mate that's a great help, cheers. Unless you can buy the new style top hats on their own it looks like I'll be buying the whole lot. Tbh if it fixes the creaking which it has for you, then im willing to give it a go!!!!

Cheers mate

182 cup
^but with "the washer fix" you lift the top hat up by 3mm, which seems to be similar with the new insert

Agree, unless you need more parts of the std assembly (the bearings on mine were knacked and wanted to refresh the mounts themselves) then I would be tempted with the washer mod. Cheaper and easier to do.

Megane RS 250
As I bought the top mounts recently but still haven't fitted them yet, is there a way to know if it's the new version or not?

Megane RS 250
topmount01.jpg

topmount02.jpg

topmount03.jpg

topmount04.jpg

topmount05.jpg

topmount06.jpg

Sorry for the very bad quality, I've got a cheap Android phone.
topmount07.jpg

Megane RS 250
Wait, charlesk, are you saying I'm missing something? Can i use the inserts in my present topmounts or what?
So i'm not going to need the washers I made last week (for free...)

Jonny, 95 €

Focus ST-3
Lol this is confusing the hell outa me now... Simple mind, I know...

So if you get the new style top hats you MUST use the new insert, but if you have the new insert you can use it with the existing old top hats aswell as the new ones?

Lionel Richie
NO

its simple

OE top mounts, ie never changed from factory - use new insert - done

NEW style top mounts - have to use the NEW insert

Megane RS 250
I guess the dealer didn't know this, so I'll call him and ask about this. Is there a part number for the new inserts? Ho much are they?

2004 clio 182 ff
is this the cure to my knocking from drivers front over bumps on full lock? i noticed that under the bonnet, the drivers strut top protudes a few mm from the turret than the passenger side

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
so just to clarify, can i buy JUST the new insert and fit to my 'old' oe topmounts without any problems, or do i have to buy the new insert AND new top hat that will fit existing mounts??