ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Firestick with Kodi

As above

I'm completely new to all the kodi lark, done my research and understand it. However I'm unsure of which one to buy off the bay?

Are they reliable?
Are they worth it?
Anyone bought one?

Forget doing a custom install I'd probably brick it.

Also what about the potential risks? on my computer I'm fine, i constantly use proxy servers added with a premium VPN so I'm secure.

With a firestick it'll just be connected directly to the tv and using my interwebs unprotected (not hidden) most of these services on kodi I would've thought just steam torrents? (Correct me if I'm wrong) which is essentialy exactly the same as downloading from BitTorrent except I'll have no VPN covering me.

Unsure on what to do!

Opinions?

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah the Firestick is OK with Kodi, But you should be looking at the Fire TV box. You get 4K content plus the extra processing power.

I run 2 boxes and a stick in my house.
Basically i depends on your internet connection and patience. If you think its going to replace your Sky/Virgin box then your wrong, If you want perfect streams all the time then again wrong.

Kofi can be great most of the time but if you need to rely on it, don't.

I run the no limits wizard, much like the Chris B Beast but seems to be more stable.

Good luck

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
No point buying one ready made off the bay.

They should drop in price on Amazon in the black Friday event, last year the sticks went down to £20.
Installing Kodi yourself is a piece of cake, plenty of simple guides online.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
No point buying one ready made off the bay.

They should drop in price on Amazon in the black Friday event, last year the sticks went down to £20.
Installing Kodi yourself is a piece of cake, plenty of simple guides online.

This^^^

If I can do it, anyone can :up:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I can't understand why so many people use these 'builds' on the fire stick.

Far easier to setup yourself and just use what's required, less clutter = better performance.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Get the box. Stick is crap imo, more crashes, more buffering issues etc. Box isn't perfect, but it's very good.

Right I've looked up some tutorials on how to install it myself and okay, it does seem straight forward with the whole es explorer and inputting the apk URLs, also the Black Friday deal is not a bad shout either if they do knock it down!

Looks like custom build it is then.

Another question is though, I've seen on the eBay listings they always mention;

"Includes an update build button so you're never out of date and rendered useless!"

I know kodi itself is always updating, does that mean I'll have to update every time a new build comes out in order to carry on using it? or is it a one time download forever going to be alright?

Thanks for the info and ideas guys!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Ares build gives you the ability to do that if you're insisting on using a build. Also there's a whole thread for this e where you'll get more response and help.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Ares build is all you need.
Buffering doesnt differ between the stick or tv. thats all down to the host and amount of people using the link.
Firetv runs a lot smoother than the stick.
I have the stick upstairs and firetv downstairs and both stream the same.
If i was to get anything else it would be the nvidia shield.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I have x2 sticks, put Kodi on them myself and also the 'firestarter' so I can open it with a button press.

I have no issues at all, runs smooth. I think the issue with the custom builds is they are very resource heavy. I ran one and it frequently crashed. 'Bare' Kodi with a few add-ons is great.