ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First 182... Cambelt gone within the hour

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Im not here for english lessons.

Im in no rush for the car as its my side chick. Got a company car to use. Id rather do it properly and whilst i agree that rebuilding the existing engine is the proper way... it doesnt make sense when you consider the cost of rebuilding vs getting another engine.

If it turns out i cant get a decent 182 engine then il consider rebuilding it.
If you want it 100% 182 then that's far enough. There's bugger all difference between the engines power wise but if you're selling a tidy 182 with a 172 engine one day it probably will put some people off. As its your first clio doing it right for price of mind is understandable.[emoji106]

P. S. We have a while squadron of grammar police, don't take it personally!

If you want it 100% 182 then that's far enough. There's bugger all difference between the engines power wise but if you're selling a tidy 182 with a 172 engine one day it probably will put some people off. As its your first clio doing it right for price of mind is understandable.[emoji106]

P. S. We have a while squadron of grammar police, don't take it personally!

Im a little bit... shall we say... anal? About things like this. Its bad enough as a buyer to have a car thats had a different engine let alone one thats not quite correct.

My original plan was to turn it into a track car maybe 6 months down the line but given the amount of cash im about to spend on it the only way id claim some of that back would be to make it as mint as possible and keep it for a while.

To everyone whos helped and commented youve been great.
It been a while since ive been apart of a forum and its nice to know THEYRE as good as i remember.

Look out for a build thread!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’ll be of no help here whatsoever.

But, if you’re looking at keeping the car original then I’d go down the route of rebuilding the head. At least you’ll know it’s been done properly.

As already said, too many people throw these engines away only to stick one in which they don’t really know the history of anyway.

Land Rover
It’ll be a while before these cars are worth a great deal, there’s too many about and Ebay is awash with mint looking ones with “everything” done at £2,000-2,500

Sadly the eight l looked at from this auction site were anything but when l got there to view, the better ones are advertised on here.

So it’ll probably be a labour of love to restore a 182 with a blown engine, not that it’s a bad thing, l’ve spent so far £2,600 on my recently purchased £2,700 RB182 and am unlikely to ever get it back.

But l love messing about with cars and doing them up. And there’s worse ways l could spend my money.

A well sorted 182 is a very nice car, and that’s coming from somebody whose last four cars were made by Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche and BMW.

I had my head rebuilt after it slipped the timing with new valves and seals and it dropped a valve seat not 300 miles later. In hindsight I should have just sourced a head of a working 182 as you just don't know what damage the slipped timing has caused to your current head.