ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First 182... Cambelt gone within the hour

Thanks everyone.

Quick question.
As far as i can tell according to the internet, the only differences between the ph2 172 and 182 engine is the exhaust mani, inlet mani and the breather? Or is it the cam cover too?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah but 5 years? Basically, i fucked up.

I just didnt consider how long the car had its last cambelt change but had only completed 50k since last change.

I was in the mindset id change it in a couple months... i expected to get a bit further into ownership than an hour :|
You didn't f**k up, you just got mega unlucky. If could have gone last week while the previous owner was driving it, or it could have gone next month or not at all. Bit s**t that it didn't go last week or not at all though [emoji23]

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Hard luck OP Baz
Ive heard of belts lasting 120k + and 10 years

Just had mine done on a 2001 Y reg, wont be getting done again. Hoping it to last well past 5 years, cos it wont go anywhere nr 72k

Hate to say it.. but maybe it's a blessing in disguise.. ? You will get to know the car and everything about it in no time?

It's extremely bad luck though mate
Yes it is, just absolutely skinted myself trying to get my partner on the road, its just needed to last atleast a few months with no drama

Hard luck OP Baz
Ive heard of belts lasting 120k + and 10 years

Just had mine done on a 2001 Y reg, wont be getting done again. Hoping it to last well past 5 years, cos it wont go anywhere nr 72k
I think the idler had failed and caused the belt to go slack and get damaged.

Who knows if they were even changed. When it was last done...

You guys have been a great help but i have another question.

A gentleman has offered me a 172 engine for a good price.

Is there any problem with fitting the engine as it is?
No weird problems with the ECU
Eh, is what legal?
having changed the timing belt structure for better words from oem to aftermarket.
Im just thinking out loud is all. For the future.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You guys have been a great help but i have another question.

Is there any problem with fitting the engine as it is?
No weird problems with the ECU

having changed the timing belt structure for better words from oem to aftermarket.
Im just thinking out loud is all. For the future.

The Gates kit is a good as OEM so no issues regards to use in the 750mc Clio 182 series. Using a 172 engine may do though.... You'd need to double check the regulations.

The Gates kit is a good as OEM so no issues regards to use in the 750mc Clio 182 series. Using a 172 engine may do though.... You'd need to double check the regulations.
Would this also imply a problem with the v5 paper work? Not aure how this works. Does the engine code indicate its of 172 origin or just simply a 2.0 16v... ah jeez.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Really? I thought the engine number was on the v5. Is there an engine number? I dont even know who i am any more.

Ps. Thanks for the help

There is an engine number on the V5 but it doesn't relate to the number stamped on the block from what I can tell. Blocks have F4R736 or 738 on them depending if it's 172 or 182.

PH2 172

As long as you use 172 inlet manifolds, you will have no problem.

The vacuum take off tube for the fuel filler cap carbon canister, situated under the RH headlight is located on the right hand end of the top 172 inlet manifold,

rather than on the rear of the 182.

But you may as well bin the canister and cap the tube.

XXXX Do NOT consider swapping cam covers, the Head & Cover is machined as an assembly, and the cams will have the correct journal clearance. XXXX

That’s is very unlucky indeed but as others have said, get another engine, get new belts fitted while it’s out, and then enjoy the car!

I’ve had four Clio sports and two have had engine failures. In both cases I bought replacement engines and had them fitted.

As long as you use 172 inlet manifolds, you will have no problem.

The vacuum take off tube for the fuel filler cap carbon canister, situated under the RH headlight is located on the right hand end of the top 172 inlet manifold,

rather than on the rear of the 182.

But you may as well bin the canister and cap the tube.

XXXX Do NOT consider swapping cam covers, the Head & Cover is machined as an assembly, and the cams will have the correct journal clearance. XXXX
Thankyou for the advice. If that is the case regarding the cam cover then that is a bummer.

Looks like il have to hold out for a 182 engine as id like to keep the car exact and original as can be.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Engine swap is easy enough on these. Stick a new clutch in whilst engine is out, fresh belts/dephaser, New service items and good to go for plenty of miles

PH2 172
Thankyou for the advice. If that is the case regarding the cam cover then that is a bummer.

Looks like il have to hold out for a 182 engine as id like to keep the car exact and original as can be.

Are you Unicellular.

A 172 (736) will be fine with the original inlets.

If you intend to compete in Clio Cup with a standard car, you may as well start from the back of the grid in reverse.

Are you Unicellular.

A 172 (736) will be fine with the original inlets.

If you intend to compete in Clio Cup with a standard car, you may as well start from the back of the grid in reverse.

Unicellular?
No. Maybe.

This car wont be used for competeing. I want to keep it as it ought to be.

Ease of sale too. I dont think selling the car as a 182 and then saying well it is but... its got a 172 engine but there almost the same but there not.

Id rather get a 182 engine. If the man above is right about having the cam cover paired with the head.

dan's cast offs.
if you want it as original as possible then get the head done or just swap the head.

cloi owners seem a funny lot sometimes, cost more than £200 to sort an engine issue out...bin engine and chuck another one in, more than £500 to sort a car out...break car for parts, ripped favourite pair of jeans...throw complete wardrobe out and buy all new clothes ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
if you want it as original as possible then get the head done or just swap the head.

cloi owners seem a funny lot sometimes, cost more than £200 to sort an engine issue out...bin engine and chuck another one in, more than £500 to sort a car out...break car for parts, ripped favourite pair of jeans...throw complete wardrobe out and buy all new clothes ?

Give it ten years and the prices go up and everybody will be regretting breaking them for nowt and whinging about the high prices of parts become rare, same as the R5gtt owners now lol

Having a 172 engine is much preferable to having no engine at all.

Are you certain it has not already had a 172 engine installed?

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/25/theyre-their-there/

Im not here for english lessons.

Im in no rush for the car as its my side chick. Got a company car to use. Id rather do it properly and whilst i agree that rebuilding the existing engine is the proper way... it doesnt make sense when you consider the cost of rebuilding vs getting another engine.

If it turns out i cant get a decent 182 engine then il consider rebuilding it.