ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First time on track

clio 172
So I'm going to snetterton tomorrow for my first track day it's a novice day as I thought that would be a good place to start. I'm just after some advice from some of you who are experienced on track on what tyre pressure I should be running things I should take i.e. Tools and just general pointers to mate my day as good as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You'll love it

Do a couple of hot laps, come in and immediately drop your tyre pressures to around 28 while they're still hot

Check your wheel bolts stay tight after the first couple of outings.

Don't leave your handbrake on when you're parked up or your pads will weld themselves onto the disc.

Don't drive in your rear view mirror, obviously check it to move over for faster cars, but if someone's on your arse before a corner, ignore them, get your line right and move over when it's safe to do so on the exit.

Tools, just a torque wrench/breaker bar to ensure wheel nuts stay tight and a tyre pressure gauge/inflator should be all you need on your first outing.

Get tuition if it's available. And book it for as early as you can.

Have a chat to other people who are there for tips and tricks, even take some people out for a couple of pointers. And most people will be happy to help with any issues you may have

Clio 172
So I'm going to snetterton tomorrow for my first track day it's a novice day as I thought that would be a good place to start. I'm just after some advice from some of you who are experienced on track on what tyre pressure I should be running things I should take i.e. Tools and just general pointers to mate my day as good as possible.

I'm there tomorrow bud, I will be in the a grey/ orange Clio 182.
If you need a hand with anything or want to chat give us a message on 07956049502

Attachments

• DBADECB9-1157-4877-B260-E83652B1D933.jpg
    DBADECB9-1157-4877-B260-E83652B1D933.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 77

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I've never bothered messing with my tyre pressures (just run what I do on the road) so it might not be too critical to worry about.

If you leave the handbrake off and the car in gear, make sure you actually sit in it when you come back from lunch and start it...

clio 172
You'll love it

Do a couple of hot laps, come in and immediately drop your tyre pressures to around 28 while they're still hot

Check your wheel bolts stay tight after the first couple of outings.

Don't leave your handbrake on when you're parked up or your pads will weld themselves onto the disc.

Don't drive in your rear view mirror, obviously check it to move over for faster cars, but if someone's on your arse before a corner, ignore them, get your line right and move over when it's safe to do so on the exit.

Tools, just a torque wrench/breaker bar to ensure wheel nuts stay tight and a tyre pressure gauge/inflator should be all you need on your first outing.

Get tuition if it's available. And book it for as early as you can.

Have a chat to other people who are there for tips and tricks, even take some people out for a couple of pointers. And most people will be happy to help with any issues you may have
That's really helpful mate thanks what tyre pressure should I be running to start with ? I only ask because I put 15s on my car yesterday and was Running 16s before. Do they have a pump station there to adjust them ?

Presumably you're on road tyres in 195/50/15 if so just drop the pressures 2-3 psi and then go out and build, build, build. Use the turn in and apex cones and also the brake boards to gauge your braking distances. Also use the last lap as a full cool down lap, this is important as you don't want the car sat there in the paddock red hot.

On returning to the paddock after your first session and cool down lap, turn the car off leaving the handbrake off. Then either leave the car in gear or chock the wheels. Then check your tyre pressures, you'll want them at around 29psi front, 28 rear. I state these as once the tyres warm up again then they'll inflate to the recommend 32/30 psi.

As you build throughout the day you'll be noticing your tyres becoming greesy! You'll have to play about with your pressures then, more than likely lowering them further, as when the tyres feel greesy they're overheating and over inflated and will wear at a greater rate. You'll want to back off a lap or so to let them cool down, so you can get a few more decent laps in. This also applies to the brakes if standard, as you may get fade so just back off and let them cool.

Keep an eye on fluids throughout the day as well. I'd take if possible a spare functional wheel and tyre, top up fluids, jack, tyre inflator, towing eye, tyre wrench, spare front pads, screw drivers etc... Just anything you have if you can carry it as you never know, lol. Remember being a novice day most TDO have first come first serve garages.

Be safe, be respectful to other drivers and if you can get some tuition as it will be invaluable to make the most out of the car and track.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Brave lol. Although I have used them in the dry and they were spot on. Was a very warm day though. What made you pick those, tread pattern ;)

clio 172
Presumably you're on road tyres in 195/50/15 if so just drop the pressures 2-3 psi and then go out and build, build, build. Use the turn in and apex cones and also the brake boards to gauge your braking distances. Also use the last lap as a full cool down lap, this is important as you don't want the car sat there in the paddock red hot.

On returning to the paddock after your first session and cool down lap, turn the car off leaving the handbrake off. Then either leave the car in gear or chock the wheels. Then check your tyre pressures, you'll want them at around 29psi front, 28 rear. I state these as once the tyres warm up again then they'll inflate to the recommend 32/30 psi.

As you build throughout the day you'll be noticing your tyres becoming greesy! You'll have to play about with your pressures then, more than likely lowering them further, as when the tyres feel greesy they're overheating and over inflated and will wear at a greater rate. You'll want to back off a lap or so to let them cool down, so you can get a few more decent laps in. This also applies to the brakes if standard, as you may get fade so just back off and let them cool.

Keep an eye on fluids throughout the day as well. I'd take if possible a spare functional wheel and tyre, top up fluids, jack, tyre inflator, towing eye, tyre wrench, spare front pads, screw drivers etc... Just anything you have if you can carry it as you never know, lol. Remember being a novice day most TDO have first come first serve garages.

Be safe, be respectful to other drivers and if you can get some tuition as it will be invaluable to make the most out of the car and track.
That's really helpful thanks mate

clio 172
Brave lol. Although I have used them in the dry and they were spot on. Was a very warm day though. What made you pick those, tread pattern ;)
Why is it brave lol I just got a good deal on a wheel and tyre package I know there not the best on the market will move onto something els when they are worn out

clio 172
Why is it brave lol I just got a good deal on a wheel and tyre package I know there not the best on the market will move onto something els when they are worn out

Bare in mind I'm pretty new to this so I don't really know what tyres are good ore bad really

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
All of the above is excellent advice.
The only thing I would add is remember it's just for fun and don't over drive.
More importantly, enjoy.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
You'll have fun regardless mate. It's your first track day so you're not gonna be chasing laptimes.

Just remember you're there to have fun. You're not there to race. Many people, my mates included treat it as a day of competition. That's when things go wrong.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah just take it easy. Just don't search those tyres on here lol.

I thought they were fine, cheap too

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That's really helpful mate thanks what tyre pressure should I be running to start with ? I only ask because I put 15s on my car yesterday and was Running 16s before. Do they have a pump station there to adjust them ?

Just whatever pressure you roll up with. It doesn't matter tbf. The point is to get the tyres hot (working temperature on track) then set the pressures so once they're up to temperature they're the right pressure.

If you have too much undeesteer, less front pressure, more rear.

If you have too much oversteer, less rear pressure, more front.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I was in the same position last year and was a bit nervous about going. Everyone I've met and talked to has been amazingly friendly and helpful. All the staff are brilliant. Take care of you and the car, don't overdrive and you will have a blast.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I was in the same position last year and was a bit nervous about going. Everyone I've met and talked to has been amazingly friendly and helpful. All the staff are brilliant. Take care of you and the car, don't overdrive and you will have a blast.

Yeah, when you feel yourself getting comfortable and pushing harder, come in for a cool down so you don't go ott.

clio 172
Year I had a nervous first session but I'm having a great time now

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Few things I'd say although appreciate it's a bit late now.

Gradually increase your speed as it's easy to over cook it early on. Get tuition as early as possible so you can improve for the rest of the day. Check wheel torques regularly. Tyre pressure are very important 28-30 psi hot seems to work well on a Clio.

Tools, I usually take more than I could need as you'd kick yourself if you couldn't carry on because you tried to save taking a few extra bits. Spares too, take a sensible selection of bits if you have them available.