ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First track day coming up!

Clio 172 track car
Hi guys, posted on here only once or twice before, bought a standard 172 on an 03 with the intention of road use when the mrs got our car and as a track car! Slowly but steadily iv bought a few parts for the first track day but haven't gone over the top. What do you all think of the following?

Mintex discs and pads (rear)
Front Brembo HC discs
Front mintex M1144 pads
Braided brake lines
Updated fluid

Spax SXX 25mm spring all round with cup dampers

Federal RSR track tyres

Also, it's booked in for a timing belt kit, Auxilary belt kit and service incl plugs next week.

Would this be ok for my first day? Think I have the important points covered ?

Cheers Matthew

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
My Cup goes to tracks completely standard and on road tyres so your more than prepared.

Do a search for tyre pressures as there was an interesting link posted a while back and book some tuition if your a noob. You'll have no front tyre edges and dead brakes by the afternoon if you rely on grip over talent.

Most importantly have fun, stay hydrated and make a few friends. No shiney trophies or podium places at track days they are what you make of them!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I rate the rsr's alot. As above tyre pressures for any tyre is key. I am for 30 hot so around 23/24 cold, thats on the Federals.

Check nothing is going to fall off and enjoy your first day and go from there.

Have Fun :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Always forget this one. Check the injector cover fasteners. They do vibrate off with age and it makes a horrible noise when it comes loose!

Megane 250
Good tyres and good working brakes is all you need.

Also keep an eye on tyre pressures and check the tightness of the wheel after each session, You might be surprised by how warm the tyres.

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
Matthew,
Where and when Is your trackday? It's probably worth sticking a thread on the trackday section in case other CS'S are going.

When I go to any new track, I always watch a few YouTube videos of the place to get an idea of the layout.

Also the main points have been covered already in the thread. Empty your car of the things you don't need, also remember to check fluids before / during / after, and pace yourself and the car in the amount of time that you are on track.

Clio 172 track car
Thanks for all the feedback lads ! seems to be looking ok so far with what iv got then, only thing I need to buy is the tyres they should be here in the next week, my best mate who's coming along is a main dealer mechanic so all the fluid, tyres etc will be looked after by him.

The track day is at llandow on July 11th, a local track to myself about 15 miles away from Cardiff. Iv done experience days there before and I also done a fair bit of karting so I'm quite faniliar with the track .

Anyone going ? Not a bad day for £90 open pit full day.

PH2 172
Thanks for all the feedback lads ! seems to be looking ok so far with what iv got then, only thing I need to buy is the tyres they should be here in the next week, my best mate who's coming along is a main dealer mechanic so all the fluid, tyres etc will be looked after by him.

The track day is at llandow on July 11th, a local track to myself about 15 miles away from Cardiff. Iv done experience days there before and I also done a fair bit of karting so I'm quite faniliar with the track .

Keep an eye on the front left hand tyre.
Tyre pressues,I`d start with 30 psi cold and adjust down when hot.Same after lunch break.
Don`t forget to budget for,and take enough fuel for 14mpg.That`a about 4 gallons an hour for time actually on track!

Megane 250

Just seen this.

I'll be there in my black 106 GTi, my second day there, pop over if you see me

Good on warwick for mentioning staying hydrated.

I always forget to eat and drink during the day cos im so buzzing and by the end im fooked!