ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting 205s to Turinis

172 Cup
Will 205/45s fit the Turinis and will any old tyre fitter be able to fit them?
Need to get it done asap and my usual garage is closing for 2 weeks so was gonna get a mobile fitter in.

Also does anyone see any problem in putting my front tyres (195/45 Sport Contact 3 with plenty of tread) on the back and new AD08 205/45s on the front? Can't seem to find the AD08s in 195/45.

inb4 insurance, already asked them, they don't care what tyres I fit.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
205/45/16 are fine on 16" Turinis. I would always have best tyres on the back...and wouldn't mix 195s and 205s (All or nothing IMO)

172 Cup
I am currently running 205/45/16 (Hankook V12 Evo) on the front and 195/45/16 (Hankook Ventus Prime) on the rear, without any issues. The 205's definitely feel better than the old 195's i had on there IMHO but that might just be beacuse the old 195's i had on the front were almost treadless! I might go to 205's on the back at some point but at the moment i have no issues so not going to bother.

No issues with insurance or MOT as long as each axel is running the same tyre size.

PB Clio 172
205/45/16 are fine on 16" Turinis. I would always have best tyres on the back...and wouldn't mix 195s and 205s (All or nothing IMO)

never understood this. Untill someone can prove as to why they are better on the back I might pay attention lol

182 Cup
With FWD cars being driven properly the biggest hazard comes from lift-off oversteer, which is harder to predict and react to than understeer. Having your best tyres (and hence the most traction) on the rear axle means you're maximising the limits in which you have to play.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
never understood this. Untill someone can prove as to why they are better on the back I might pay attention lol

With FWD cars being driven properly the biggest hazard comes from lift-off oversteer, which is harder to predict and react to than understeer. Having your best tyres (and hence the most traction) on the rear axle means you're maximising the limits in which you have to play.

Exactly. You have steering and power through the front wheels...the rears just follow on 'in a straight line' (so to speak), if they break traction, they are harder to get right again than fronts in an FWD car.

172 Cup
Needlessly bumping to say I've got the AD08s on the back, replaced rear dampers too. Think it needs front dampers and front tyres soon too though but at least the back end feels better now.
All my monies are going away! halp! :(
Anyone want to sell me two AD08s for cheap?

Ph2 172 Track Toy
So you've got tract tyres on the rear and normal road on the front?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I can appreciate the reasons for fitting newer tyres on the rear, as this keeps tyres rotating in there ages. (Not great to have a rarely used car with 10yr old tyres with 4mm of tread.) The argument that oversteer is worse or harder to control is justified, BUT the front tyres on all cars do 90% of the braking and all of the steering, so thats where I want my good tyres. Having a car oversteer when driving normally is rare, having a pedestrian or car pull out on you is more likely to happen. Also if your driving enthusiasticly, you should know how to control oversteer!

172 Cup
Erm ok.
I've just done the rears as they needed doing. Have sport conti 3s on the front with a fair bit still on them and obviously will be replacing them soon :)
Although it's not rarely used, it's always used.