ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a 182 Manifold

182BG
OK, i know its a hassle fitting a 182 manifold on a 172, but... whats the easiest way to do this, can it be done simply with the car on ramps, or am i gonna have to go to the extreme and take the engine out :s

im a bit stuck on how i would be able to this.
anyone know how much a 182 manifold is from Renault?

Lionel Richie
car up in the air and remove subframe is easiest way

BUT your 172 exhaust isn't going to match up to it, you'll be needing a link pipe

Audi TT 225
Its not a direct fit mate it wont match up with the cat / zorst.
k-tec do a manifold kit and sports cat.

You also need to drop the sub frame to fit the manifold.

Audi TT 225
any custom zorst place can make one for you, k-tec's system is designed to meet up with the standard zorst though.

Depends if you want to de-cat it or fit a sports cat between them.

182BG
yeh i know it doesn't match up (what a bugger, lol)
but ive got that sorted, the custom place who is doing my exhaust will make me a sports cat up to fit, but i was wondering if it would be easy for them to fit it as well :)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Fred2001Dynamic said:
we'll probably get one made so it can be a stock item

Fred i want one....! silenced De-cat preferabley with both lamda plug holes.

Audi TT 225
Do you need anything else appart from the gaskets to get the 4-2-1 fitted Fred?
Are there any mountings you need or anything?

182BG
Ive decided, im gonna save up for the ktec kit, and just get someone to fit it for me. Their price for the kit is quite reasonable imo apart from the labour charge, £264!!!

Audi TT 225
All available from renault then :D

I thought k-tech's system was a little steep, I think the manifolds only about £250 and a sports cat is £200 - £250 and add a couple of quid for bolts and gaskets.

I'll be doing this after my boot well has been removed so I can have a propper 182 style zorst on my 172 :)
Also makes sense if your having a custom zorst to get it all done at once...

Lionel Richie
very expensive for their kit, but you are getting a sport CAT

someone should check the price of the manifold from Renault

hum i wonder if Dave @ k-tec has a Greenpeace sticker on his car???? LOL

Audi TT 225
Most custom exhaust places will be able to build a sports cat into your system, Ive had quotes for 200 cell cats between £200-£250 on top of the cost of a zorst so thats the way Im going.

Of course a second hand manifold might be a lot cheeper than buying it from renault, cliospares could probably help out in that department.

I might add you could just buy the k-tec if you cant be bothered to look around, and potch about sourcing your own parts and having custom work... Im not trying to bad mouth the k-tech system in any way its a quality product! I just try and spend my money as carefully as possible so I can get more mods lol

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Fred2001Dynamic said:
you need

exhaust manifold, new gasket (head to manifold), link pipe and a few extra nuts and bolts

Next mod i think PM me the costs etc dont want a sports cat though.

182BG
yeh but if you didn't get the sports cat, you would have to change the manifold back everytime to put the original cat on.

i will ask at renault tomorrow about the 182 manifold, if its cheaper i will go the custom route. And yes im lazy so the k-tec kit would be a easy route for me. just means i gotta do some overtime ;)

Audi TT 225
Im just gonna fit the manifold and have a pipe coming out the side and its gonna be mega loud and narly and upset the neighbours and kill fluffy bunnies and stuff

Lionel Richie
lee_cup said:
yeh but if you didn't get the sports cat, you would have to change the manifold back everytime to put the original cat on.

i will ask at renault tomorrow about the 182 manifold, if its cheaper i will go the custom route. And yes im lazy so the k-tec kit would be a easy route for me. just means i gotta do some overtime ;)

not entirely true, you can use a modified 182 CAT i think (its strangley been a while since i've been under a clio!!)

Lionel Richie
yep i think, the head is based upon the turbo head i believe (same casting, different machining)

mk1 172's have the larger exhaust ports i think

ask BenR

182BG
Fred2001Dynamic said:
not entirely true, you can use a modified 182 CAT i think (its strangley been a while since i've been under a clio!!)

exactly my point mate,
if you want a de-cat instead of a sports cat, your still gonna have to get a sports cat as well, so you won't have to change over the manifold everytime.

Clio 172
I spoke to charlie at Prospeed about a custom 4-2-1 manifold for my ph1 172. He was relunctant to do it, and recommended finding an existing supplier, because he'd need the car for 3-4days, and it would cost around £500. The problem being getting all the sections of the pipe the same length while the car is intact.
I appreciate Charlie's honesty, he could easily have taken my money. He may still do.

Lionel Richie
lee_cup said:
exactly my point mate,
if you want a de-cat instead of a sports cat, your still gonna have to get a sports cat as well, so you won't have to change over the manifold everytime.

sports CAT is a restriction = bad

you're not following what i mean

182 manifold+link pipe(decat)+172 system = cheap!!

come MOT time

pick up a 2nd hand 182 CAT, trim it down slightly to fit inplace of link pipe

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TOUCH THE MANIFOLD to put the 182 CAT into the 172 system come MOT time

it'll literally take 10min to swap your linkpipe for the moddified 182 CAT

Audi TT 225
I was just thinking along those lines! I might pop over there on my lunch break one day and have a chat about it.

Maybe it would be easier if he had a 182 manifold to use as a guide?

Doesn't de-cating a mk1 172 make you loose torque? Im sure I read that some where....

182BG
EVOgone said:
Next mod i think PM me the costs etc dont want a sports cat though.

^^^Fred mate, i was just stating to "evogone", that fair enough he doesn't want a sports cat, but he will STILL have to purchase one as well as a de-cat so he doesn't have to change the manifold over everytime. Thats all i meant. Peace to you brother :)

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225
Maybe he knows a dodgy MOT tester who will fudge his emissions so he wont need to change the manifold or link pipe ;)

Lionel Richie
lee_cup said:
^^^Fred mate, i was just stating to "evogone", that fair enough he doesn't want a sports cat, but he will STILL have to purchase one as well as a de-cat so he doesn't have to change the manifold over everytime. Thats all i meant. Peace to you brother :)

no he won't he can borrow our bodged 182 OE CAT that i made for Yoz's cup

it fits perfectly between the 182manifold and the 172 race system

i mean do you REALLY think Yoz's cup is gonna pass the emissions test as it is!!!

182BG
well there you go, problem sorted, he won't have to spend anymore money!
Sorry i didn't know that.

Bribe the MOT blokey ;)

Audi TT 225
Cant get autodata to work, Im sure it will say what the diameters of the 182 manifolds and mk1 172 heads are.... stupid CD its all scratched up :mad:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
lee_cup said:

My car is a 53 plate cup so no MOT till December.

But the car will have been sold by then so it will be the next owners issue to deal with.