ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a Camshaft Sensor to a 172

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
What's the easiest way to fit a Camshaft sensor to a 172 head?
It's so I can run CoP's on my new DTA ECU in case you're wondering.
Rich

dan's cast offs.
There isn't really and if you do you then need a pick up on the cam as they don't have it as standard.

Why not just run them wasted spark?

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
The sensor ring is available from Cat Cams for the Inlet Cam, but obviously there's no sensor mount on 172/182 head.
CoP is much neater way of doing it plus sequential spark control is far superior than wasted spark.
In all fairness there doesn't look like an easy way to do it, it would be a head off job to weld in a boss in the same location as the 197 head.
You could possibly design something to fit in the end of inlet cam and run it externally but that would involve a bit of thought.
Rich

dan's cast offs.
End of the cam would be easy enough to do but a lot of getting around. Am sure mark ran cop but not sure if he was still wasted spark or not though?

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Mark Mayfield?
His was a 197 head so had the Camshaft Sensor fitted as OEM.
I suppose I could always fit the CoP's and run them in wasted spark format and try and sort a Cam Sensor out a later date.
Rich

dan's cast offs.
Yeah, thought he'd ran them on a standard head as well? Could be wrong though and wouldn't of been on standard inlet if that was the case.

Are you running standard inlet or bodies?

Clio Sport 182
Here is mine. Replaced all but 1 of the VVT bolts with stainless. Works perfectly although would not want a sensor failure. Next one I'll probably put a boss mounted one so I can replace. Have seen the same but mounted from the engine mount side welded into the cover. Have also seen them on the gearbox end of the camshaft where the seal is. Good luck!
d7f48fbf1003069645b3a11e6150e6d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Clio 182
Here is mine. Replaced all but 1 of the VVT bolts with stainless. Works perfectly although would not want a sensor failure. Next one I'll probably put a boss mounted one so I can replace. Have seen the same but mounted from the engine mount side welded into the cover. Have also seen them on the gearbox end of the camshaft where the seal is. Good luck!
d7f48fbf1003069645b3a11e6150e6d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Hey, I’m new on here, just bought a 182 project car and going to fit an aftermarket ECU. This mod is just what I need so go sequential injection, I’m doing the belts and dephaser this week so I’ll get some SS bolts orderd. Can you remember what size bolts you used?
Cheers

Clio Sport 182
Hey, I’m new on here, just bought a 182 project car and going to fit an aftermarket ECU. This mod is just what I need so go sequential injection, I’m doing the belts and dephaser this week so I’ll get some SS bolts orderd. Can you remember what size bolts you used?
Cheers
Nice one. I can't recall I'm sorry but the are just the size that is in the dephaser maybe M6 fine. I can't recall the heads on the dephaser bolts but I had to grind slots in them to get them out. On my latest car I am going to mount from the other side (ie the engine mount side) - may be able to space just one bolt out 5-10mm and leave the rest to avoid having to remove them all (I'm using vernier pulleys so will be a little easier).

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Clio 182
Nice one. I can't recall I'm sorry but the are just the size that is in the dephaser maybe M6 fine. I can't recall the heads on the dephaser bolts but I had to grind slots in them to get them out. On my latest car I am going to mount from the other side (ie the engine mount side) - may be able to space just one bolt out 5-10mm and leave the rest to avoid having to remove them all (I'm using vernier pulleys so will be a little easier).

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Ok, my new dephaser just arrived, I see what you mean about the bolt heads.. might need to go in via the cam cover side as you mentioned.