ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flat battery? Something else?

Afternoon all, i think my battery was flat this morning. Trophy hasn't been driven since Thursday so 3.5 days. Up until then it's been in use daily and hasn't caused any trouble.

Car wouldn't unlock on the fob, then i manually got in with the key and the alarm sounded. Then tried to start and nothing (no crank and no flickering dials/light). Does this sound like just a dead battery or something more sinister?

It's booked in with Dan at sjm on Friday so I'll get him to have a nosey if no one suggest anything. I have no multimeter at mine so I can't even test the current one or the alternator :(

Thoughts? Halfords and chuck a new battery in tonight?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
3.5 days doesnt seem very long, don't kwik fit do battery free checks? Id get it checked before spending as it might be the alternator not charging the battery..

1.2 16v clio
does your windows etc go down or lights go on when the ignition was on also does it even try to crank

my friends clio wouldnt start but it turned out to be a blown 5amp fuse thats on the left hand side of the dash

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I wish my battery lasted 3.5 days on the jeep, that can drain a battery flat in a little over 8 hours.
i have to keep disconnecting the battery each night.

did it start fine with a jump from another vehicle, or leads connected to a spare battery?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I wish my battery lasted 3.5 days on the jeep, that can drain a battery flat in a little over 8 hours.
i have to keep disconnecting the battery each night.

did it start fine with a jump from another vehicle, or leads connected to a spare battery?

Can you install a switch to cut the power from battery? Been thinking about this because I am sick of having to jumpstart cars on the drive..

172 cup
Had the same problem, all was ok drove to work and when finished work it wouldn't crank, alarm went off when tried opening it.
In the end got a bump start to get home and put new battery in it and all was ok.

It wouldn't jump start either

I agree I thought 3.5 days seemed pretty quick for a complete drain.

I don't recall any lights on the dash at all this morning. Literally like everything had died. Didn't try jumping it, just jumped in the other 182 and drove to work.

Other option is to call out the AA and they'll take a look at it and see if they can diagnose on the roadside.

FF Clio 182
Can you install a switch to cut the power from battery? Been thinking about this because I am sick of having to jumpstart cars on the drive..

Like a race car battery isolation switch?

You can but I think they bugger up the ECU if you keep cutting the power.

LOL. Oh yes. You sure you didn't leave anything on?

That would be very unlike me. I'm anal about locking doors and checking lights etc...

I just picked up a new battery, I'm going to fit it and give it a good run tonight and report back. If it is flat again tomorrow I know I have a problem. If not, happy days.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Unless you're stupid enough to leave a door open or the int. light on, I'd guess the next checks would be the earths. Dodgy earth could drain a battery in an hour let alone 4 days !

I'm thinking possible alternator. Car smelt a bit "warm" tonight. Just done 100 miles to get the gf and run the new battery in. Car was fine, electricals operated as they should.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Sam buy a cheap multimeter. It will always be handy! When car is running check the voltage to make sure the alternator is working corectly, when the car is off check the voltage drop. Report back :)

Multimeter would be a decent investment. I know the expected levels etc... Just don't have one at the new flat lol.

It was a Renault battery, so could have been original. Possibly.

I know! No storage though!

I miss not having a garage!

Started second time this morning.... Doesn't look promising lol!

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
I know! No storage though!

I miss not having a garage!

Started second time this morning.... Doesn't look promising lol!

Recharge the battery, put it back in and disconnect when not being used to see if the car is draining it or if its the alternator or whatever.

You could put in a relay to isolate the battery but its probably more expensive than finding the cause and fixing it.

And get a multimeter they're cheap.