ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

focus rs or trophy?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
My bro's FRS started to bubble slightly on the rear arch.....

I've driven both, the focus is a more grown up car IMO, better put together but for the type of driving I do I cant see it being reliable/fun enough to keep me ammused. The trophy still shocks me with its capabilities but you need to be switched on to get the best out of it.

As the age old Cup vs Trophy arguement continues. As said previously I got to drive a mint 30k Mile cup a while back, very nice tight car but the suspension wasnt a patch on the trophy. Jumping straight back into the trophy, driving in the same manor on the same piece of road, the difference is noticable straight away, much stiffer, much more confidence and the tendancy to lift off oversteer is much less in the trophy.

As for that trophy you posted up, it looks good mate but I'd want to see a receipt for refurbishment of the shocks, if not possibly a means of bartering. Also it isnt lowered, trophy's came with springs made by Eibach standard ;)

Clio 182 Trophy
Wasn't that mainly a problem with the pre 02 Focus? They started to galvanize them after that.

Yer your correct with the galvanizing however i know this doesn't protect them fully from rust thats for sure. I work on Porsche's mostly and i can assure you the 996's and 997's are suppose to be galvanized yet only a few weeks ago did i see a 996 that was fit for the scrappy due to the amount of rust underneath, it was so bad that the side skirts were only attached by 2 screws both sides due to what can only be described as rot.

Not sure if this will be much help!!

Ive owned a Focus RS for 4 years nows, i also run as my everyday car a 172 cup.

Not sure how closely matched the trophy is to the 172 as ive never driven a trophy but if it were my money id buy the RS everytime. Dont get me wrong i think the cup is a fantastic car, just think the focus is much better.

Running costs for me work out about the same for both cars, tax and petrol cheaper on the cup, insurance cheaper on the focus and servicing about the same.

Not got a single sign of rust on the focus and the car has never let me down and is running circa 310bhp/330lb torque.

Both cars for me always put a smile on my face when i drive them so as they say its your money,takes your choice.

A SHED!
Not sure if this will be much help!!

Ive owned a Focus RS for 4 years nows, i also run as my everyday car a 172 cup.

Not sure how closely matched the trophy is to the 172 as ive never driven a trophy but if it were my money id buy the RS everytime. Dont get me wrong i think the cup is a fantastic car, just think the focus is much better.

Running costs for me work out about the same for both cars, tax and petrol cheaper on the cup, insurance cheaper on the focus and servicing about the same.

Not got a single sign of rust on the focus and the car has never let me down and is running circa 310bhp/330lb torque.

Both cars for me always put a smile on my face when i drive them so as they say its your money,takes your choice.

cheers mate, good info. im going to hopefully see that trophy i mentioned, once my bonds have cleared. 8 bloody days, ive been without a car for over a year now.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The Trophy, no doubt about it.

And that's coming from a Ford fanboi.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
You've probably got the best of both worlds there then mate with a cup and an frs. The thing I'd be concerned about is how reliable can the frs really be as yours is clearly a weekend toy

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
The thing I'd be concerned about is how reliable can the frs really be as yours is clearly a weekend toy
Its would every bit as reliable as the Trophy just need to make sure its serviced well and they are grand, know loads of owners over on rs owners drive theres everyday.

172 cup
Focus rs all day long. I have just sold my focus rs and bought a cup to run around for the winter. The focus is a much better car i sold a 172 to get it and never looked back. There is a lot of good ones on the rs owners club website for much cheapness. best buy a moded one cos you soon want it to go faster mine was over 300bhp and it drove like a dream.

R26/200 Raider
Hate Fords but as someone has pointed out as an everyday car it would have to be the Ford. This car also if well looked after will go up in value if you are looking at long term ownership. As i have already stated i am no great fan of Fords but i must say the Mk 1 RS is a very nice car much smarter than anything before it or anything flawed have produced after it in my opinion. Despite all this i think the Trophy will be much more fun to drive. Its a difficult one!

A SHED!
ek9 or ep3 mate? Also what colour :)

ep3 mate,
IMG_4237.jpg
my mates used his camera effects on it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Aye, but the build will be better. Its what i missed, makes it nicer day to day imo. Hence why i bought another 197 lol

keo

Clio Trophy
That looks mint, the jdm has ep3 has hydraluic power steering doesnt it? I had a premier edition CTR and hated it because of the electric power steering.

A SHED!
That looks mint, the jdm has ep3 has hydraluic power steering doesnt it? I had a premier edition CTR and hated it because of the electric power steering.

cheers for comments lads, and keo, yea it does. Its had the abp fast road set up done and with the lsd its not too bad tbh.

keo

Clio Trophy
I think i should of brought a jdm then, i must admit once i put a set of toyo t1r's on my old civic it drove a lot better, the engine and box in them are lovley and i loved the interior. I think they look smart as well, was just like i say i couldnt get on with the power steering. It felt so numb comming from a 106 GTI