ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

for £400

Ive been getting loads of different feedback from different people on whats the best set up to get. Ive decided to definately get the pioneer sub with built in amp which is £110 which leaves me roughly £400 left from my budget of £500. With this i would like to get components for the front and rear and a head unit, im not too worried about running the speakers of an amp yet as i will probably upgrade this later when i also get a "proper" sub. Suggestions of what i should get would be very much appreciated, although the less money i spend the better ;)

Cheers

Just a bit of advice, spend allot more on the fronts than rears. Say £150 on fronts and £60 on rears. I personally think you should just get some coaxils for the rear, if you insist on rears, as it make everything so much simplier, due to instalation of tweets ect.

Is it really worht getting an active sub then later updating to a amp and a sub. As most decent speakers wont run well of just an HU as they only really give out about 23 rms per channel.

IMO - buy a 2nd hand amp, a sub, build the enclosure, and spend the rest on the fronts and HU, as you already have rears (stock) for a bit of rear fill.

Look at this forum as well - http://www.talkaudio.co.ukwww.talkaudio.co.uk , lots info here as well

Rorrie

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Dont bother buying rears no point.

Get a 9815rb and spend the rest on components

another cliosporter who agrees with me that rear fill is not a good thing

good front comps, small amp to power them, decent head unit and disconnect the rear speakers, job done

Theres nothing wrong wiv a bit of rear fill ;) ! Yeah good point about good fronts. Get some kool fronts nice alpine HU and seperate sub and amp.

babam - i see that having good rear fill isnt as important/neccesary as front fill, but how can it be a bad thing having rear fill??

What would ppl recommend as front components???

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

because if u go to watch a band play, u stand looking at them and the sound comes from infront of u, if u have rear fill then its like standing with your back to the stage.

so front speakers and a sub/amp gives you the best sound stage.

as for components go for wither JL audio, Focal or mb quarts

i see what your saying, but when u listen to them you can tell that theyre in front of you because of the sound coming from their instruments is in front of you.

What about surround sound in home theatres, i know this isnt really the same concept but surely having a little rear fill will give a better impression of you being surrounded by the music??

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

um surround sound is controlled by a processor, and uses different type of signals and speakers to control the sound compared to speakers in cars.

if you get the right components and headunit then the sound will engulf you and give you a feeling of the sound is full and all around you.

having speakers in the rear will make you loose perspective of the stage and will sound odd, that is if you know what it should sound like.

yeah i know it isnt actually surround sound that you get in most cars, thats why i said its not the same concept..... i get you about the rears now tho, i wasnt try to disagree with you as you almost certainly know a lot more about car audio than me, i just wanted to understand why.

Would you not recommend rockford comps then?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

rockford comps are ok, but JL,focal etc all make better ones.

sorry to get arsey i got alot on atm and im just in a mood.

the best comps for around £150 you have to be looking at genesis, focal, mb quart

rockford - probably best not to ask me about them, as i have not heard anything of theirs that i rate

ok.

Say i was to get an amp;

1. Wheres the best place to install on a clio, under the seat?? enough room?? how easy to access for wiring??

2. What do i want the amp to roughly match for watts on the speakers? say the speakers are 100w rms, 200w max, do i want the amp to supply nearer 2 x 100w or 2 x 200w?

help much appreciated

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

personnally i would buy a good headunit, there is a clarion headunit pretty new around the 230 quid mark and has LOADS of great features, then i would get some JL audio VR series i think they are, they were on specail for a while for 119 quid i think they still on offer in places, normally around 170 quid.

also an amp to power the speakers, as they will pump out some bass also, then save up for sub/amp at anouther time, that way u will get Really good SQ.

personally for £400 i would spend it in the following way

Pioneer 6400 Head UnitMB Quart DSE213

it is possible to buy an amp for the front speakers, but in essence not really worth the hassle if you only have £50 or so to spend

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

The speakers in the back of my valver are the originals and they sound absolutly shight!

Now I know am always in the fron but when I have passengers they always complain that they get muffled music - Would it not be wise to invest in some decent rear speakers?

Fading out the back completley sound "lost" to me!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

tell them to shut the f**k up, and turn the volume up in the front, if u have some front components and they are set up right they should get good sound in the rear also, disconnect them rears, and take out your back seats :p

who is it has to listen to the stereo day in day out??

they get in the car every now and then, and they then complain, dont you just hate that

anyone who got in my car had to accept that the stereo was set-up for me, not them, hence the bass in the rear, and treble and mid up front for me to listen to

best thing to do with the OEM speakers, disconnect them and stick them in the closet for when you come to sell the car

ok, so ive come up with 3 rough ideas of what i might get. The sub pioneer sub is a definate because of the large heat sink and the fact i do use my boot alot meaning that a "normal" sub would be likely to get damaged. Also the way i see it with the head unit is theres not much point in spending any more than £130 on a alpine CDM9803R unless i was going to go all the way up to a £200+ hu which i dont have the money for

1. Pioneer TSWX205A enclosed sub with built in amp

Alpine CDM9803R head unit

Rocky FNQ3514 components or similar

Alpine MRP-F200 amp to power the comps,

This would be my most expensive option at just over £600 but would it be worth it in the long run?

2. Pioneer TSWX205A enclosed sub with built in amp

components from between £130 - £250

This would total about £500

3. Pioneer TSWX205A enclosed sub with built in amp

front components up to about £150

rears for about £60

This would total about £500 also

Which do you reckon taking into consideration ill probably be adding to this system at a later date so i dont have to get everything at once right now....

Cheers for all the comments so far btw, theyve been very helpful

as i have said above

that alpine unit is too low in the range for my liking

for your £500

4. Pioneer TSWX205A enclosed sub with built in amp
Pioneer 6400R Head unit - around £180
MB Quart DSE213 Components - around £140

leaves you £80 to save for better parts for the system

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Sod that just blow the lot on a decent hu. then save for the rest.

Or

(bam bam wont agree with this)

PIO-DEHP77MP £229 from Mcs direct!!!

http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk/acatalog/deh_p77mp.jpg

That leaves you with £170

http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk/acatalog/ts_c1300r.jpg

Get the PIO-TSC1300Rs for £120 and your laughing. with £50 change.

(you could spend the rest on a nice stalk adaptor)

But actually there are better £170 components out there.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=446http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=446

agree with the pioneer unit - sounds awesome, and looks special with its brushed metal effect

dont agree with the comps though

for £170 you can get these

Phoenix Gold Tantrum T5.0COMP

which are great value for money

Revels Mum & Sister

I also agree. Dont bother with rears. Just go for fronts! JL VR are a wicked choice mate! Go for them as they are excellent for sound quality. I have a set of JL XRs in my clio. No rears running off a JL300.4 and a POlk Momo 12" Sub running from a JL 1000.1

NO real need for rears!

Stick with Alpine for Headunit. Love alpine headunits. Also as Bambam said I think the rockford range is not very Inspiring!

yer thats a good HU, either that or the new version of the 7894rb (what i have) alpine.

MBs are good, or try DLS, ive heard allot of good things about these.

Why get an active sub? get a 4channel amp, run the fronts and the sub, it will be better.

ok, so the pioneer sub (sorry but thats what i want :) )

maybe the pioneer DEHP77MP HU

which leaves me £160 ish for components

Will this sound ok for the time being without an amp for the comps??

yes, the sub wont be great, but its what you want

read my last post regarding components, the Phoenix Gold Tantrum T5.0COMP components will be perfect for you

the PG will be good, il just wait for the next thread, on the next part of your system! if it doesnt come il be surprised that you avoided the ice bug, i started wiht looking for a sony md hu, ended up spending well over a grand, but getting about 3 grands worth of system!!

See you soon.

Rorrie

yeah, well hopefully itll end up like that ;) But next on my list after getting this lil bit of ice is 17s and lowered springs, then ill probably build on the rest of the sound...

cheers again