ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forget flickr - Sign up to 500px

I've never been a massive fan of Flickr. Lot's of amazing photos, but lots of crap on there too.

Just discovered a site for photographers called 500PX.

Visit here: http://500px.com/

It's similar to Flickr, but people only upload their best, so the standard is much higher.

I recommend you it to you dedicated togs on here :)

Done my gallery, you can only upload 20 images to start, then 10 a week.
http://500px.com/DanFreemanPhoto

Well that's precisely why they wouldn't have a larger image. It's a site to show your work, not so people can nick photos for their desktop.

Abarth 595
Well that's precisely why they wouldn't have a larger image. It's a site to show your work, not so people can nick photos for their desktop.

Surely having his name on the picture means anyone who sees it cos its on my desktop is free advertising for him. Dunno why anyone wouldnt want that.

Abarth 595
True. The guy has a download section on his site but says 'coming soon'. May just check back in a bit.

DB.

BMW 440i
Surely having his name on the picture means anyone who sees it cos its on my desktop is free advertising for him. Dunno why anyone wouldnt want that.

Photographers get very arsey/anal about the rights of their pictures. Over the top in many cases, but I can see why people get bothered if people are claiming work to be theirs that isn't.

Shame, as their could be so many better wallpapers/canvas pictures around.

Got to a point where the photographers taking photo's of my Rugby games couldn't even give me the pictures afterwards. Ridiculous.

Surely thats the point, if high res shots were available other people would start selling canvas etc. Professionals need to protect their intellectual property. It's hardly ridiculous, if you want the shots pay for his/her time. It's no different to all the people who come on general chat and expect designers to make them free business logos.

Letting people nick pictures for your desktop isn't very good free advertising either, how many people who have nicked a picture turn on their pc and think hmmm I should buy something from this guy?

Great shots Dan, that VX220 is popping out of my screen!

2.2 bar shed.
Letting people nick pictures for your desktop isn't very good free advertising either, how many people who have nicked a picture turn on their pc and think hmmm I should buy something from this guy?

Got it in one. 1000px on the longest side is my standard way to stop people stealing my photos.

One thing I have noticed after being on there for 24hrs...compared to Flickr (which you can easily manipulate if you want high views/comments etc), good photos generate more interest.

Stick a half decent photo involving Lego on Flickr and it will generate a lot of traffic, but get a technically perfect 1/30th pan of a rally car mid-air and it won't really do anything on there.

I'm sure 'back in the day' Flickr was similar before it got really popular, the one thing I don't like about 500px is that you can buy your way into uploading more photos, a strict limit really makes you think about what you're uploading.

2.2 bar shed.
I'm sure 'back in the day' Flickr was similar before it got really popular, the one thing I don't like about 500px is that you can buy your way into uploading more photos, a strict limit really makes you think about what you're uploading.

I dont think anyones really capable of hitting the image cap if you only upload your VERY BEST regardless of your skill level. I cant really generate 20 amazing images a week, hell... I'd be happy with 1.

Won't be long now until everyone is uploading their iPhone shots - just like Flickr... lol

Very true. Same as Instagram etc.

Flick is having a massive redesign go live in a few days. But that's not going to change the habits of people.

One thing I have noticed after being on there for 24hrs...compared to Flickr (which you can easily manipulate if you want high views/comments etc), good photos generate more interest.

Stick a half decent photo involving Lego on Flickr and it will generate a lot of traffic, but get a technically perfect 1/30th pan of a rally car mid-air and it won't really do anything on there.

Hi :eek:

Very true. Same as Instagram etc.

Flick is having a massive redesign go live in a few days. But that's not going to change the habits of people.

Nope. When Steve Jobs announced during the iPhone 4 launch that the iPhone was now the most popular camera on flickr, I nearly cut myself.
Camera phone crap should be on instagram, or photobucket. Flickr used to be awesome. Most of the Flickr staff realise its beyond help though and jumped ship a few years ago.

500px is nice at the moment but it's completely elitist, I put a photo on there that last year made explore on flickr and won a few competitions, never even made the "interesting" page on 500px, think I got about 28views LOL. It will soon start filling up with crap photos though and then camera phone shots. Inevitable

I agree but some lego shots are fun ;)

Have to say if I dont see another technically perfect panned shot of a race car again it will be too soon! Sorry but so boring!! Once you've seen one you've seen them all, I doubt such a shot would be appreciated on 500px either.

I agree but some lego shots are fun ;)

Have to say if I dont see another technically perfect panned shot of a race car again it will be too soon! Sorry but so boring!! Once you've seen one you've seen them all, I doubt such a shot would be appreciated on 500px either.

I'm not knocking Lego pics (I take plenty myself!), it's just that so many people chase 'popularity' on Flickr but it doesn't actually mean anything. I have very average photos with 15,000 views, yet also have ones that have won national competitions which have barely registered any interest on there.

Anyhow, my panning shot made it into 'Upcoming' on 500px within a few hours of posting it :) http://500px.com/photo/5316990

Its a fickle world out there!

Your fabia shot is great and far from the average panned shot with the front end hanging off!