ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Frankie's monaco blue 172

Hi my names Sean (although everyone calls me frankie... Long story)

i used to have a ph1 172 many years ago, then moved onto other less exciting things, and now returned to the good old clios.

i purchased my 172 about a month ago from an ad I saw on eBay, so jumped on the train and picked it up.

What it looked like when I picked it up
null_zps7a72b33c.png
null_zps0bfa5be6.jpg

After a long drive from Suffolk to Somerset which was a right mare, I couldn't fault the car, apart from the stupidly loud exhaust. So the following weekend I went to castle combe and picked up a new silencer and fitted into the straight through pipe, loads more quieter!

I wasn't keen on the gold 1.2's so bought some 2118's
null_zps5e25bfe7.jpg

null_zps011c3318.jpg

Also bought and fitted the black power flex dogbone mount and a v6 clio airbox

Whilst fitting the dogbone mount I noticed the offside driveshaft was screwed, so a new one bought from renault
null_zps08983454.jpg

With the car having such a short mot I did have a choice but to bite the bullet and put it in and deal with the problems

Failed on a sticky caliper and leaking coilovers

So ordered some bilstein b14's
null_zpscd29fec6.jpg

Then it flew through no problems

The next step was to fit new seats
null_zps70a3df67.jpg

These are the XL width ones, which demon tweeks told me couldn't be done. They are quite a tight fit but no problems what so ever.

null_zpsafa766ea.jpg

Hopefully doing a few trackday a at combe in the coming months, and looking to enter combe saloons in the near future.

Thought this should be updated, as I seem to be viewing a lot of threads but not really being an active user.

Project has gone from a track car to race car, as I hope to compete in the castle combe saloons next year.

current spec is

Engine:
v6 airbox
182 manifold and ktec sports cat

Suspension:
ktec stiffer engine mounts
cup racer suspension
-1 degree rear camber
-1.5 front camber
ktec stud and nut conversion
3mm spacers just to give more spacer between the wheel and the hispecs

Brakes:
hispec 4 pots with red ebc pads
braided hoses

Interior:
corbeau revolutions
carbon fibre doorcards

This week I will be fitting the oreca 6 point rollcage.

Also working on a homemade rs2 style inlet manifold, and looking to polybush the car throughout

castle combe this weekend, car ran well, also threw a few bossy fits
70cd7bffbd855883d19702ba972ff944_zps38fb57df.jpg

0f61a4fe8f1fef00511b1712b2395966_zps4717db73.jpg

867c033bc0d00d2e27b47d26dcc19c12_zpsfb2288cb.jpg

45D224E2-5BCE-4992-A8B6-1461A0C6729C_zpsevgqlh2d.jpg

16ED1454-A8B3-4F93-87B5-6325E9FA2795_zpsdizshsqi.jpg

F2B53388-9501-41C0-BC61-6118546C42F2_zpsaxdckoox.jpg

This is a photo of the awkward moment you've just driven 550 miles to ring only to find its shut ha.
7498BC7D-A514-487F-9FAA-A93BF356B3EF_zpsfswfqdbf.jpg

I wondered if the phase1 was on here, yea we still had a few problems though, think every time I was on track at the same time as you, we had to pit.

cheers guys, yea starting to notice most of the monaco blues clio on here are looking similar lol

Phase 1 172
I wondered if the phase1 was on here, yea we still had a few problems though, think every time I was on track at the same time as you, we had to pit.

cheers guys, yea starting to notice most of the monaco blues clio on here are looking similar lol

aha yeah seemed that way only seen you on track twice and as soon as I seen you were pulling off :/

aha yeah seemed that way only seen you on track twice and as soon as I seen you were pulling off :/

Yea, I'm not sure if bits were falling off or there was a lot of debris on the track either after hearing a lot of bits hitting the underside I thought it would be best to pull in lol.

Me and my mates where loving you phase 1 though!

Phase 1 172
Yeah that's never good when you think bits fall off aha , my wheel nuts came loose on one of the front wheels :eek: Took awhile to find out what the knocking noise was aha ,

Yea I had that last time, so I changed to nut and stud, well worth it.

also found out what fell off, it was the driveshaft bearing carrier (well 3 bolts and the plate)