ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French cars... reliably unreliable

172ph2
Every single damn time I need to go somewhere that's more than a couple of hours away the b*****d 172 throws a wobbly.

Today I went to get my wheels rebalanced as I had a little steering wheel shake at ~70mph and on the way home it started cutting out (sometimes) when pulling up at a junction and dipping the clutch. It was also a bit hesitant when pulling away, as if I'd lose power for half a second. Then to top it off it went into limp home mode...
I used one of those Android Apps+Bluetooth OBD things to look for fault codes but nothing came up.
Timing belt was 5 years old last week, but I've done less than 30k on it so was going to do it after this trip.

I'm this --> <-- close to just sticking it on eBay for £1 nr.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As said, they genrally are fairly robust/reliable outwith the electrical niggles - in no way shape or form are they anymore unreliable then their counterparts.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They're probably one of the more reliable french cars if serviced, barring electrics of course.

Clio 172
Iv had 8 cars as daily drives and 6 have been French, their no less reliable than any other car from any other county in my experience. Get it properly looked at by an auto electrician.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
You think the electrics are bad in 172's. Go buy a 2004 Citroen C4 and then tel me which is worse....
Yellow looms and just yellow, break for fun aswell

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Or a 206. I doubt there is one left that doesn't have an airbag or engine management light on!

Beaten up 182
Or a 206. I doubt there is one left that doesn't have an airbag or engine management light on!
Lol, my 206 GTi didn't but it did have an air bubble in one of the con rods which led to it snapping and what was left smashed two great holes through the block!