ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

friggin immobilser!

1.2 16v Dynamique.
I know loads of Renault owners have had the same problem. My immobiliser has developed a mind of its own! It starts most of the time but quite often (once or twice a day?) the red light on the dash either flashes or stays on and it wont start. Sometimes something as simple as turning the key back and trying again or taking the key out and trying again can deactivate the immobiliser but this is not always the case. Im a driving instructor and dread the thought of it not wanting to start on someones test! Nightmare! After looking through the internet it seems like it could be the decoder ring on the ingnition barrel. Someone also mentioned a button in the engine bay (similar to a fuel cut off switch) but I cant see one on mine anywhere (y reg, 2000, 1.2 16v) The doors sometimes refuse to lock too. This can be sorted by starting the engine again and pressing the interior door lock button a few times. They always unlock though. Could the 2 problems be linked to the decoder ring? What do you reckon? Cheers

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
possibly linked to decoder ring or just a weak signal from the key (and i would go for a key problem myself) you really need to put it on renault diag computer to read the signals/ fault codes

If the light doesn't go off its the sensor around the key hole common failure get a new one but check stock connectors.

how much are new keys

£12 for the mtal key (you could have copy key made from a key cutters but same price as Renault only thing is Renault take a few days to get them as there special order from France.)
plip bit is £40 and then programming its 20 minutes or so work usualy charged.

1.2 16v Dynamique.
My dad works at a garage who have a computer that reads the codes. Its going on tomorrow so I will let you know the outcome. No problems today with immobiliser or locking the car. Typical!

1.2 16v Dynamique.
Me again. Still doing it and Im well sick. The immobiliser has just got a mind of its own. Strange. New decoder ring has made no differance so dont know if its the key or ecu or what.

V70 d5 beast
well usually if it's not the decoder ring then it's the actually plip, could be giving false signals to the reciever
we had one in the other day for the same fault, light just flashes constantly.

1.2 16v Dynamique.
i think it must now be the key. a new one is on its way and when coded to the car the problem should be a thing of the past. if not then i will send the ecu away to have the immobiliser removed. i will let you know how it goes.