ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front Disc Corrosion

BMW 320d SE
Had the 182 MOT’d the other day and one of the advisories was corrosion on the front discs.
The outboard side of them looks fine. Perfectly normal. However, the inboard side of the discs looks like the pads aren’t sweeping properly on the outer and inner edges of the discs.
I took a few pictures but this is the best one (excuse all the rust lol). Ive tried a few hard braking manoeuvres to see if I could fix it that way, but I don’t think that’s working. The discs are Brembo HC and the pads are Brembo standard ones. They’ve only done 20k.
I’m thinking maybe the sliders are sticking. Any other suggestions? I’m hoping I can get away without having to replace the discs and pads again for a while.

Attachments

• 3358AD7F-AC97-4792-A0A4-62666A1B548E.jpeg
    3358AD7F-AC97-4792-A0A4-62666A1B548E.jpeg
    839.8 KB · Views: 143

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Sll you can do is check to see if the sliders are seized. They never wear even, if you have done 20k on them cant complain, budget for a new set of discs when pads are down.

BMW 320d SE
I don’t tend to brake late/hard, so the pads have loads of meat left on them. I’ll have a look at the sliders and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
My dci is the same to be fair, i dont brake hard on the road so the pads are only half worn at best 20k in and discs are a little corroded. I done 70-30 hard brakes a few times in a row to remove pickup and the brakes were massively improved. Needs a long road to do it in a 65hp dci lol.

If it passed the MOT then don't worry about it. Just get a new set of discs and pads on before the next MOT.

I'm lucky to get 3k out of my discs ;P

Unless they visibly start to deteriorate or crack obviously.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
If the brakes are lacklutre then give the calipers an overhaul but i'd say its just the way a single caliper piston wears slightly unevenly. My car went through 4 years of MOT advisories of 'mild' corrosion on the discs. Brakes were fine in reality.

BMW 320d SE
If the brakes are lacklutre then give the calipers an overhaul but i'd say its just the way a single caliper piston wears slightly unevenly. My car went through 4 years of MOT advisories of 'mild' corrosion on the discs. Brakes were fine in reality.
They're not lacklustre to be fair. Like others seem to be saying, perhaps it's just the way they wear. I think I'll give the pads the once over and check that the sliders haven't gotten sticky.
Thanks for the tips peeps.