ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front N/S area knocking.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I went over a slight jump yesterday, not enough to get the wheels off the ground but I heard the rev’s lift as I went over it. Afterwards I’ve had a horrendous knocking noise.

It knocks when you go on or off throttle, constantly knocks loudly at 50mph under power but if you let off the throttle the knocking gets quieter but it’s still as fast.

There is a little in-out play in the driveshaft but no more than the O/s shaft. Balljoint seems in tact and there’s no visible leaks.

Any ideas? The car is an early 2002 ph 172 with no abs/esp

Cheers.

PH2 172
I went over a slight jump yesterday, not enough to get the wheels off the ground but I heard the rev’s lift as I went over it. Afterwards I’ve had a horrendous knocking noise.

It knocks when you go on or off throttle, constantly knocks loudly at 50mph under power but if you let off the throttle the knocking gets quieter but it’s still as fast.

There is a little in-out play in the driveshaft but no more than the O/s shaft. Balljoint seems in tact and there’s no visible leaks.

Any ideas? The car is an early 2002 ph 172 with no abs/esp

Cheers.

Something has broken in the gearbox top mount department.

Possibly the bolt (2) or even the battery tray (8).

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/gen...E01XRCtV$&vid=1247&cid=2043523127&uid=3217&q=

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye

Now you mention it, I was just out and removed the N/S engine mount and the bolt was broken on that. I'll whip off the battery once it stops raining and have a look around teh gearbox mount.

I hope it's that as it's an easier fix!

Cheers man.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye

There's a video of the noise when I rotate the disk by hand. The driveshaft doesn't have too much play in it.

This doesn't sound great, almost like its coming from inside the gearbox. Broken CV joint in the driveshaft?

I checked the engine mounts and everything seems good with the gearbox side one.

@Darren S @STEVE.M @imprezaworks @NorthloopCup

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
All sorted, the was a little clip was was loose causing the excessive noise in the shaft. I don't think that was the issue though.

When I went to check the o/s shaft play, when I took the cover off the wheel one of the bolts fell on the floor. Two were loose and one was hand tight! I tightened them up and the knocking noise stopped. The wheel was about to fall off! That's the last time I ever go to that garage for tyres.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
All sorted, the was a little clip was was loose causing the excessive noise in the shaft. I don't think that was the issue though.

When I went to check the o/s shaft play, when I took the cover off the wheel one of the bolts fell on the floor. Two were loose and one was hand tight! I tightened them up and the knocking noise stopped. The wheel was about to fall off! That's the last time I ever go to that garage for tyres.
Jesus, that's bad! Usually these places gun them up so you'll never get them out, not the other way round.

PH2 172

Is there some confusion about what constitutes the offside (RH) & nearside (LH)?

You had already posted a video of you rocking the RH disc backwards and forwards, before discovering the RH wheel was virtually falling off?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Is there some confusion about what constitutes the offside (RH) & nearside (LH)?

You had already posted a video of you rocking the RH disc backwards and forwards, before discovering the RH wheel was virtually falling off?

Rocked the right, then buttoned it all back up again and put the wheel on. The when I when to remove the other wheel, that's when I noticed the bolts.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Jesus, that's bad! Usually these places gun them up so you'll never get them out, not the other way round.

I rockon he done them up hand tight to get it off the ramp, then meant to hit them with the buzz gun but forgot that wheel.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus.

I know it's something easy to forget with the wheel nuts, but even so....

I have been known to check wheel nuts within a mile or too from having tyres done as something in my mind didn't feel right - lol.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
To be fair, most (decent) garages do say or put on the invoice to check the bolts after a certain amount of miles to make sure they're still tight.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Aye it was my fault in the grand scheme of things. I usually check wheel bolts quite often when I'm cleaning the car but because the 182 alloys had the plastic cover on them it slipped my mind.

Major drama averted anyway, I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks as I can imagine running on loose wheel nuts may have damaged the wheel a little bit.