ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full Car MOP

BG 182 FF
Hi,

My BG 182 is due to have the roof and rear bumper resprayed, due to some idiot!, My question is will the whole car need to be mopped? or anything else?, the reason i ask is i have no experience in this field and have been given conflicting reports, the rest of the car does have some swirl marks/cobwebbing and in places does look like its starting to loose its shine :( This is an insurance job and I have chosen the garage myself.

My concern is that i don't want half of the car looking perfect and then the other half left looking different highlighting the fact it has been resprayed...

Any help would be greatly appreciated or suggestions on what exactly to request also.

Cheers
Ben

The bodyshop will mop the roof and bumper and will likely mop adjoining areas. It will likely look worse to a detailer than the rest of your car. Mopping is bad. It does more harm than good.

BG 182 FF
So do you have any suggestions for after the respray? i.e. have it corrected elsewhere or speak to the garage and ask if they can do something different ? like a 3 stage polish I believe its called?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Ask the body shop they will know best I imagine and should look after you as you gave them the work. Always an idea to go with insurance recommendations re body shop as you can pester them if your not happy and their repairers will jump through hoops.. as you have chosen your own you ate at their mercy.. good luck ;)

So do you have any suggestions for after the respray? i.e. have it corrected elsewhere or speak to the garage and ask if they can do something different ? like a 3 stage polish I believe its called?

Ask the body shop they will know best I imagine and should look after you as you gave them the work. Always an idea to go with insurance recommendations re body shop as you can pester them if your not happy and their repairers will jump through hoops.. as you have chosen your own you ate at their mercy.. good luck ;)

Don't trust the body shop. There's a reason they mop it and call it mopping. It's a quick job to flat the paint. They will marr it and won't know any better. Talking to them (yes, bit of a generalisation, but these come about from experiences) will make them think you don't trust them or just confuse them.

I'd suck it up that you are likely to have a different type of marring, i.e. buffer trails rather than spider webbing from improper wash technique. If you are aware of the current spider-webbing, book it in for an enhancement detail/correction detail after the paint, or DIY it.

BG 182 FF
I just spoke to them on the phone and they said that they have included a three stage polish on the whole car to correct any blemishes and to ensure no visible differences across the vehicle.

Does this sound about right?, also the garage do a lot of custom jobs and there work is very good from what i have seen (the did a custom green 182 that was on RUK Facebook recently and did K-tecs Cup car.

I just spoke to them on the phone and they said that they have included a three stage polish on the whole car to correct any blemishes and to ensure no visible differences across the vehicle.

Does this sound about right?, also the garage do a lot of custom jobs and there work is very good from what i have seen (the did a custom green 182 that was on RUK Facebook recently and did K-tecs Cup car.

That's a massively general statement. I can't remember the last time someone actually did a three stage polish, it's just nicked from the Meguiars staged products. But it sounds like they might treat the paint work better than most. Let us know the results.

BG 182 FF
Hi,

That was the general gist of it in a shortened form, not precisely those words used! they discussed what they wouldn't be able to correct with the polish such as deeper scratches and so on but the three stages starting with a corse then a medium and then finally a fine compound they said that this would remove most of the swirls linked with bad polishing and washing practice, and any day to day light scratches.

I shall update after the repair is complete, watch this space.

Once again cheers for the help greatly appreciated!

Ben

BG 182 FF
He said something other than compounding for the second an third stages but I cannot remember the words exactly, refining rings a bell though ? Hence why I played safe with compounds (I have little to no knowledge in this field)

They also mentioned checking paint depth before?
Ben

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Mopping *shudders*

Basically very aggressive compounding with a very very hard angle grinder attachment taking serious microns away from your fresh paint, adding trails and more damage without at all refinement afterwards.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
My car needs a "MOP"..haha

No, it needs the latest and best technique, BROOMED...

EB7A02F4-DE45-4537-BC87-808F01DF6F5B_zpsv3fkyvdb.jpg

Dave's at the unit waiting for you now, full car done in 5 minutes!!

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Get some pics up mate when u get it back, I don't know why they would bother doing a " 3 stage " polish unless u are paying more for this.

But for what they charge u could properbly buy a DAS 6 PRO kit with various hexi pads and polishes, you tube it mate.

That's how I learn how to use a das 6 and pads

Get some pics up mate when u get it back, I don't know why they would bother doing a " 3 stage " polish unless u are paying more for this.

But for what they charge u could properbly buy a DAS 6 PRO kit with various hexi pads and polishes, you tube it mate.

That's how I learn how to use a das 6 and pads

Welcome to the forum, Billy :)

Audi a4
If it were me, I'd leave it as the fresh paintwork will soon look just as cobwebbed and swirled as the rest of the car after a few washes maybe a few more depending on how you was your car (two bucket method) if you still notice the difference after a month or two get some one that knows what they're doing to take a look at it I.e. Get it detailed, depending on how much you want to spend on getting it looking fresh! Look up "Marc (Ellsworth) heavenly detail" he is the bees knees, but comes at a price.

If it were me, I'd leave it as the fresh paintwork will soon look just as cobwebbed and swirled as the rest of the car after a few washes maybe a few more depending on how you was your car (two bucket method) if you still notice the difference after a month or two get some one that knows what they're doing to take a look at it I.e. Get it detailed, depending on how much you want to spend on getting it looking fresh! Look up "Marc (Ellsworth) heavenly detail" he is the bees knees, but comes at a price.

As much as Marc's work impresses, taking a Clio to him is quite an amusing suggestion. A detail worth more than the car is not likely to be an option to the OP.

Also, if your paintwork is getting in such a state after a couple of washes, you definitely need to take a look at your wash and dry routine. Most hobbyists can keep their paint in good condition for at least 6-12 months.

BG 182 FF
My washing technique is as follows: two bucket, no sponges, wool & microfibre wash mitts, autoglym and meguirs product, leather chamois & synthetic, and so on..

It's taken over 18 months to develop as well as countless long journeys and the daily commute across back roads ... So hasn't done badly IMO and it's by no means bad it's only lost its shine on the very bottom of the front bumper, to be expected with constant battering from poor roads ! And there are no deep scratches or paint blemishes other than stated in the OP.

By the sounds of it it's a bit out of my budget!

This thread has made me consider buying a Proper machine polisher, any suggestions on what's good for a beginner and easy to learn will be very welcome!

Ben

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
@106Ben

If you want to get into detailing with a machine polisher you should probably brush up on your wash technique (unless of course you haven't divulged it all above).

Without in depth detail of what you currently do:

1) Do you pre-rinse with a pressure washer or/and use citrus power or snowfoam before you wash the car with a mitt?
2) Dont use a leather chamois to dry the car. Instead pat it dry with the microfibre drying towel http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/shop/i4d-uber-yellow-premium-drying-towel.html#aUBERDRY (watch the video on that page too)
3) If you want to get the best finish from a polisher you will also need to add a clay stage into your cleaning regime to pick up any bonded contaminants from the paint - this includes a hit of Iron-x & Tar-x or similar.

With that you lay the foundations for a decent finish with a polisher and ensure your future maintenance washes inflict minimal paint damage.

BG 182 FF
Amos91

I do use a pressure washer and snow foam prior to washing, I then proceed to wash the car with either autoglym or similar car shampoo, followed by a further spray down with the pressure washer and then dried, I do use both a chamois and a micro fibre towel/towels, I then normally use autoglym tar remover and then give it a rinse dry again and polish using autoglym SRP and then use meguiars quick wax.

do you recommend any polishers?

Thanks for the response !

Ben

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
2) Dont use a leather chamois to dry the car. Instead pat it dry with the microfibre drying towel http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/shop/i4d-uber-yellow-premium-drying-towel.html#aUBERDRY (watch the video on that page too)

I do use both a chamois and a micro fibre towel/towels, I then normally use autoglym tar remover and then give it a rinse dry again and polish using autoglym SRP and then use meguiars quick wax.

Put the chamois in the bin.

SRP isn't a polish. It's just fillers. Get someone to polish it with a machine or buy a DAS-6 from CYC/i4D and pads/polish too. Maybe a kit to start you off ?

Audi a4
I'm sure as expensive as Marc is he does not charge 2k+ and yes paint work shouldn't get in such a state after a couple of washes all I ment was over time it won't look as fresh as the day it was painted...don't forget that body shop lacquer won't be as tough/hardwaring as manufacture lacquer.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The car should look better after a detail than just out the paintshop.

The body shouldn't "even itself out either". Weird post. Infact the whole thread is mental!

Omgz Heavenly Detail... Is that a flying snowman.

Audi a4
obviously there are other detailing companies offering an excellent service at a fair price.

I don't believe I said "even itself out" I was simply stating he fresh paintwork from the body shop won't stay FOREVER shinier than the rest of the car. Yes at first it will stand out but if your original paintwork is SOOO bad then maybe the washing method being used in the first place needs rethinking.

Last edited:
  Audi a4
Also without seeing the car in the flesh or pictures it's hard to comment not knowing the full extent of the paintwork..
For example he mentioned "It's taken over 18 months to develop as well as countless long journeys and the daily commute across back roads ... So hasn't done badly IMO and it's by no means bad it's only lost its shine on the very bottom of the front bumper, to be expected with constant battering from poor roads ! And there are no deep scratches or paint blemishes other than stated in the OP."

The dullness in the paintwork could be down to tiny stone chips if the more affected area is close to the road on the bottom of the front bumper. I have a similar thing on the front half of my sills and when the salt off the road clings to the sills and works into the chips it really looks dull and milky even once washed.

BG 182 FF
So basically what I've gathered is: A "MOP" is a bad thing that a body shop may do to 'blend paint' and can cause the finish to appear worse and cause swirls. A three stage polish uses three different stages: compounding, polishing and refining which will remove swirls and other defects including light scratches, and look pretty good to the average person, however not as good as a full detail which will achieve the best results, however this can be expensive.

To ditch the chamois and pat dry with a micro fibre towel (cheers for the video tip), wash in straight lines, and use a clay bar.

Finally, pick up a DAS 6 or similar and go out and learn how...

Before my post I had been given so many conflicting opinions and stories, the assessor said that me paint was in need of a mop, however I now think that he was talking out of his arse and it is not actually that bad at all, intact its probably average; It seems he was trying to talk himself up. The confusion about what the body shop had in mind (three stage polish) now makes sense and I can see how by me saying compounds, sounded pretty bad (amazing how a little knowledge enlightens you).

Cheers
Ben

BG 182 FF
Bean5

That sounds like it could be the cause of my 'dull paint' as its all low down to the road and I've only noticed it since winter has come around, I shall try and get some pictures before the car goes into the shop, to show a before and after.....

Here are some pics first is when I bought the car (had just been detailed) the second is recently, I know its not the best but its the only pic I have to hand.
Clio Left Side.jpgIMG_1300.jpg

Audi a4
Ye hard to tell much from those pics mate, and if it is chips that's making your paint look dull then Iv not come across any detailing method that erases chips. Maybe get a quote for painting the bumper whilst it's in the shop.

BG 182 FF
As an aside to the points raised in this thread, is there a device that softens water before it goes into the pressure washer? as I live in a hard water area...

Cheers
Ben