ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

G1WH dashboard camera review

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
I leave mine in but bought some stickers from roadhawk and have mine on permanently so it monitors what's happening whilst parked too I.e. If someone damages my car and runs whilst in a car park I can find there car with reg no and send police footage!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The other thing is, the whole point of these things is they are there for EVERY journey. The day you forget to put it in will be the day something happens.

This happened to me last week infact, the day I broke my G1W I was at my folks house using their drive to fit my new chairs, on the way home a dog ran out into the road and we ran it down. Luckily it's recovered, but if that was a person it would have been good to have the video to backup who was at fault. In all fairness it's probably for the best, not sure I'd want a video of running over someone's dog :S

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Current camera has just died, so I've ordered one. Have you hardwired it in? Or running of lighter socket?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Can do either, I've hardwired mine.

Ordered a 12v DC to 2x 5v USB converter from China via Ebay for like £2.50 and fitted it behind the dashboard, plugged the USB lead from this into the camera.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
You should be able to use one of the supplied clamp mounts around one of the struts...although it may be a little tight. I can't try this though as I butchered both of mine to make them into stick on mounts.

I want one for the occasional track days I might do. I like your videos where you can see the driver at the wheel, think it gives a better perspective of speed. ;) by attaching to the headrest is this how you captured the shots?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I want one for the occasional track days I might do. I like your videos where you can see the driver at the wheel, think it gives a better perspective of speed. ;) by attaching to the headrest is this how you captured the shots?
No, generally those shots are using a B. Hague headrest strut mount. I think you could do it direct from the strut but to get the driver in you'd have to compromise the view of the road on the passenger side.

I should get a chance tomorrow to go and just hold it in that sort of position, I'll get a little video so you can see if it'll work for you. If it does I'm sure you could get the supplied strut mount to work.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
No, generally those shots are using a B. Hague headrest strut mount. I think you could do it direct from the strut but to get the driver in you'd have to compromise the view of the road on the passenger side.

I should get a chance tomorrow to go and just hold it in that sort of position, I'll get a little video so you can see if it'll work for you. If it does I'm sure you could get the supplied strut mount to work.

Thanks Mark your a star

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had mine delivered today. Video quality is good, but the mounting system is crap. Previous camera had a standard tripod screw mount, meant lots of options to use more discreet gopro type mounts. Not at all impressed with this system, lots of play in the mount. I'll be sending it back.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Mines rotating during cornering. Only a bit, but I quite like the idea of using one on track, which would be annoying. Rest of the camera is brilliant for the money, purely as a dash cam it would do nicely.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm tempted to superglue it. Will mean removing the suction mount instead of just sliding the camera off. Mark, does yours have any play in the mount?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've found the suction mount not the best as it doesn't have the 'toggle' release that the clamp mount has, hence me modifying the clamp mount to end up with something a little more solid.

So I agree yes, the standard suction mount isn't the best although it served me fine for a couple of months.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Picked up a mobius camera, as the ebayer has agreed to take the g1wh back. Mobius is much smaller/subtle, with a much better mounting system. Easy to set up using laptop. But, you can't have the full 60fps 720p with the wide angle. Have to use 30fps for wide angle. Going to test it both ways tomorrow.
Will probably use standard angle 60fps for track days, and wide angle for daily use.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
01390982a3f8ffef53f9e59c1b460d44.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up a mobius camera, as the ebayer has agreed to take the g1wh back. Mobius is much smaller/subtle, with a much better mounting system. Easy to set up using laptop. But, you can't have the full 60fps 720p with the wide angle. Have to use 30fps for wide angle. Going to test it both ways tomorrow.
Will probably use standard angle 60fps for track days, and wide angle for daily use.

You can swap in the wide angle lens if you don't think the angle's wide enough in the 60fps mode, but personally I'm happy with it as-is.

I really need to get the mobius mounted up again. The head unit's back now too so I can do it shortly :clap:

We need a mobius thread too.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Without having tested the mobius, I'd say out of the box the g1wh is easier to use, and 60fps with the wide angle is useful as an accident camera. Mobius definitely more discreet and easier to mount.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I had mine freeze for the first time today. It powered up when I started the engine but just sat with the startup image and red LED illuminated. I disconnected the power lead but it stayed in the same state until the battery completely died.

i just reconnected and tried it again and everything's as it should be. Strange!

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Finally got around to ordering one of these just now :wink:
Am I right in saying this is the one that should be ran with a class 10 card?

Clio 182
Got a g1wc here that I've ran for a few weeks.
Love the camera but the mount is rubbish and makes the camera very obvious.

I'm working on a better system.
I will update if I can get it behind the rear view mirror more discreetly.

Ive had my G1WH around a month now. Very annoyingly its never been able to loop correctly and seems to just stop recording randomly.
Ive tried different microSD cards and played around with different loop settings but nothing has seemed to work!

Im going to try and flash the firmware today. If its still not looping Im going to throw in the towel with this and buy an expensive one :grimacing:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Have you messaged the seller? I've heard they're very responsive when it comes to sorting issues out...usually with a replacement item sent.

Odd issue though, I've never experienced that on either of mine.

No word back from the seller yet. With a bit of luck they'll send out a new one. I haven't been able to find other people with this issue so I could just be unlucky.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Mine has a foldout screen,only use it when checking that the camera is still aimed correctly.Fold it back in when driving because it is illegal to have the screen viewable when driving.