ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox no reverse

Clio 172 Cup
For about 2 weeks I have had no reverse.

Started off went over something like a large rock, brick etc in 2nd and it bounced the gearstick up, and causing 1st to be difficult to get into.

I didn't realise I had lost reverse until getting to work.
-----------------
Underneath, the gear selector arm was bent, and there were scrapes all down the cat converter shield, sump etc.

I have replaced the gear selector arm and had linkages adjusted but it still will not go into reverse. (It goes into reverse if you push from underneath).
I know all gears work fine with no crunching but it is too slack to slot into reverse. At the moment, putting into reverse gear still keeps it in 1st.
--------------------
I haven't fitted new bushes yet, I'm aware of the ones at the end of the selector arm, but apparently there's more. This will tighten it up a bit.

Can someone advise me on what I should do, I would rather not get a new gearbox as mine all fits fine. Can the lift up adjuster thing unbolt from another gearbox and fit to this one? It's a little embarrassing having to get out to push the car backwards.. Pics would be great too as I don't have a decent place to keep lifting the car up and looking underneath how it works.

Cheers

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
On mine there's only 3mm of adjustment on the linkage, I went from having 1st the 5th and no reverse, to reverse to 4th with no 5th, there's only one spot where I have all gears, so i'd say the linkage still needs adjusting to get it right.

Clio 172 Cup
I had it taken to 2 different garages and both have told me the gearbox side/ lifting piece is too slack and despite all gears being in the correct position it's too loose to connect

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like something in the gear stick has broke, there's a lot of plastic bits that could easily be broken by a decent whack.

Clio 172 Cup
I do have a spare gearstick but was informed today it doesn't look like there was any problem with it. I may swap with my current one though, just in case the bottom part attached to selector arm was bent too.

Is the gearbox side lift up piece boltable or a solid piece

dan's cast offs.
does the collar lift up underneath when you try reverse? not sure if it does from how you've described it.