ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox/selector clunk noise?

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me out :)

Been out today and as I went to overtake a lorry, I went from 2nd gear @5k into 3rd, then @5k into 4th. Both times I heard a fairly loud clunk/bang!

I felt nothing unusual through the gearstick, no vibrations, no lose of drive, no slippage from the clutch, nothing.

My immediately reaction was propshaft universal joint.....then I thought to myself (you w@nker you're not in a RWD car ?)

I continued to drive steadily, as I was 150 miles from home. All the way back, the car feels perfectly normal.

Today as I got closer to home, when I engaged 1st at a set of traffic lights, I did feel a small clunk, and heard a little noise from between the seats behind the handbrake.

I've heard this before, but only occasionally maybe 5 or 6 times since I bought the car 5,000 miles ago. I previously put it down to syncromesh not being aligned.

Could it be the signs of the clutch going to the grave?

Release bearing?

Linkage?

Dogbone mount?

Any help appreciated :)

Land Rover
Worn bush in the front suspension.
Loose subframe bolt (had same on my Kangoo Van and it was that)