ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GEARBOXES

197 F1 R27 Black
Got a used car warranty with Warranty Direct for my 197 knowing im heading towards the dodgy gearbox phase. There's a thing saying that any claims that are made in the first 90 days can be put down to wear and tear. What happens if i get the deadly 'crunch' 20 days into my policy? Will they put it down as wear and tear as my car is at 64k miles. Still in my 'cooling off' period so any advice is welcome. Cheers

172 Turbo
You've got sale of goods act protection anyway, the warranty company sound like they want rid of you anyway good luck on day 91

197 F1 R27 Black
You've got sale of goods act protection anyway, the warranty company sound like they want rid of you anyway good luck on day 91
I've just realised i made a typo. The claims in the first 90 "CAN'T" be put down to wear and tear. Anyone had any experiences with synchro mesh problems being deemed as wear and tear?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
When I got my Volvo the guy had a transferable warranty package on the car for almost 10 months.. £250-350 worth.. It wasn't much to swap over £10 and only a phone call away...

I read up on the package and kept my £10 in my pocket.. The list of parts covered were daft, mostly the indestructible parts in the engine/gearbox and anything that's likely to break or wear out wasn't covered..

is the one you have actually going to covered the fault, because if it's a commen one you can be sure they have something in place to wriggle free...

197 F1 R27 Black
When I got my Volvo the guy had a transferable warranty package on the car for almost 10 months.. £250-350 worth.. It wasn't much to swap over £10 and only a phone call away...

I read up on the package and kept my £10 in my pocket.. The list of parts covered were daft, mostly the indestructible parts in the engine/gearbox and anything that's likely to break or wear out wasn't covered..

is the one you have actually going to covered the fault, because if it's a commen one you can be sure they have something in place to wriggle free...

It does cover the common gearbox fault. I made sure of that. It was more the 3 month period i was worried about. Kind of hoping it does go in this period so i'm not throwing away 3 months worth of payments. If they deem it to wear and tear, id cancel there and then.

197 F1 R27 Black
Also, what is the cost of a 197 gearbox with fitting? I take it if the synchros do go im going to need a new one?

FF Clio 182
Guy I know purchased a Lexus that come with a 1 month warranty with a maximum claim of £500. 2 days after his warranty the cambelt snapped and destroyed the straight 6 engine head. Took it back and they refused but due to sale of good act a product must last a reasonable amount of time. The seller can either refund, repair or replace. It's the law. In the engine the garage sent the head off to be rebuilt to the tune of £3k and he didn't have to pay anything...

197 F1 R27 Black
Guy I know purchased a Lexus that come with a 1 month warranty with a maximum claim of £500. 2 days after his warranty the cambelt snapped and destroyed the straight 6 engine head. Took it back and they refused but due to sale of good act a product must last a reasonable amount of time. The seller can either refund, repair or replace. It's the law. In the engine the garage sent the head off to be rebuilt to the tune of £3k and he didn't have to pay anything...
Ive bought the car privately though, does that affect it? I've took out the warranty seperately for peace of mind. £135 every 3 months didnt seem unreasonable on a 197.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Also, what is the cost of a 197 gearbox with fitting? I take it if the synchros do go im going to need a new one?
Cost of a gearbox rebuild, removing it, all the labour etc is around £1.2k.

Did you not do any tests of it first? Ie; revs over 5000 and switch between 3rd & 4th gear?

197 F1 R27 Black
Cost of a gearbox rebuild, removing it, all the labour etc is around £1.2k.

Did you not do any tests of it first? Ie; revs over 5000 and switch between 3rd & 4th gear?

Yeah gave it a good run on the test drive, looking on here im just worried about there being a problem in the near future.

172 Turbo
Can't remember if the AA warranty covers gearbox internals, might be worth checking if the car has full service history.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Yeah gave it a good run on the test drive, looking on here im just worried about there being a problem in the near future.
Don't worry about it too much mate. People will always mention the bad and never the good. Don't get me wrong, the TL4 gearbox is f*cking awful but you still have to be slightly unlucky for it to affect you. Look for other fixes/reasonings for symptoms before hand. I have a feeling mines a bit bad at the minute but for now I have narrowed this down to a new gearbox mount being needed.

197 F1 R27 Black
Don't worry about it too much mate. People will always mention the bad and never the good. Don't get me wrong, the TL4 gearbox is f*cking awful but you still have to be slightly unlucky for it to affect you. Look for other fixes/reasonings for symptoms before hand. I have a feeling mines a bit bad at the minute but for now I have narrowed this down to a new gearbox mount being needed.
cheers mate, would you say the warranty i've took out is a good thing? Would cover a gearbox after 3 months and many other things that go wrong with the cars.

197 F1 R27 Black
Can't remember if the AA warranty covers gearbox internals, might be worth checking if the car has full service history.
The AA warranty we currently have does cover it but only the first £500 of the claim. They offer a 5 star policy but the reviews on that didnt look too good.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
cheers mate, would you say the warranty i've took out is a good thing? Would cover a gearbox after 3 months and many other things that go wrong with the cars.
Warranty is always good. Regardless or not to whether it will cover the gearbox it's still always good to have if you can afford to pay every month. As long as you've read through the contract and know what you can and can't claim on etc etc.

197 F1 R27 Black
Warranty is always good. Regardless or not to whether it will cover the gearbox it's still always good to have if you can afford to pay every month. As long as you've read through the contract and know what you can and can't claim on etc etc.
Yeah that was my thinking behind it. The warranty covers 'wear and tear' after the three month period which i suppose is going to be a good thing as all warrantys seem to put every fault down to wear and tear. The worries of owning a 197. I had 0 worries when i owned my little Twingo RS haha.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Yeah that was my thinking behind it. The warranty covers 'wear and tear' after the three month period which i suppose is going to be a good thing as all warrantys seem to put every fault down to wear and tear. The worries of owning a 197. I had 0 worries when i owned my little Twingo RS haha.
I'd take that with a punch of salt if I'm honest mate. "Wear & tear" is things such as brakes and tyres also. I can't see them buying your car new shoes every year!

197 F1 R27 Black
I'd take that with a punch of salt if I'm honest mate. "Wear & tear" is things such as brakes and tyres also. I can't see them buying your car new shoes every year!
Brakes and Tyres are down as an exclusion. It lists the things that arent included rather than what is in terms of wear and tear.