ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting contacts from Gmail to iCloud

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I want to move my contacts over from Gmail. There are about 10 contacts in the Gmail (from 300 or so) that aren't on iCloud (I always used Gmail as opposed to iCloud - I guess the iCloud came from my phone).

Anyway, I can export my Gmail contacts as Vcards simple enough, but how do I avoid having 2 copies.

Do I need to delete the contacts from iCloud (if so, how do I do this?), then create a new set using the vCards? Or can I just drop the new Vcards into the address book on my MBP dock, which will then sync with my phone.

Or, is there something else a bit smarter (just import the I can do?

Obviously I won't delete anything from google, so that will be there as a back up.

Cheers

Deeg.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I have a similar issue, its not easy.

Getting the contacts out of Gmail seems easy enough, just export as a group of Vcards, no?

It's avoiding the duplication within iCloud that I'm worried about.

I'll also export a copy of the contacts as a CSV, which is always handy.

320d M Sport
Been pondering this too, so far not had time to try it. I'm expecting to get two of everything and having to manually delete.

Tesla MP3 2021
Do you have a MAC, if so dead easy?

EDIT.. you do.

A) what OSX are you running and b) are you google contacts stored on the MAC via contacts?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have a MAC, if so dead easy?

EDIT.. you do.

A) what OSX are you running and b) are you google contacts stored on the MAC via contacts?

I'm on 10.8 from memory.

The contacts on my mac are from iCloud I think. How do I check?

Tesla MP3 2021
Basically if you turn off contacts via iCloud on the MAC and then sync your Google contacts to you MAC (screen shot below), you should now have all your Google Contacts on your MAC

ScreenShot2012-07-27at155149.png

Then turn back on again contacts via iCloud and it should prompt you asking if you want your Google contacts (MAC contacts) merging to iCloud. Confirm that and you should have all your Google contacts on iCloud without any duplications. It worked for me then I just disabled Google contacts on the MAC and my iDevices.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I lied, I'm running 10.7.4

I will be running 10.8 in a few days once I've done a back up.

Does it make any difference?