ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Go cart

Nuts!, but they're not as fast as the video makes out

phils1234 said:
break_shark.gif

12/7/2006 8:13:55 AM
NeutralAvatar.jpg

shim.gif
Sped up...: I have the original of that on a VHS tape called The Ultimate Ride by Duke from 1992!! It is no where near that fast on the original.

Clio
i use to race 125 Rotax max karts before i went into stock hatch, i loved every minute of my karting career, the track they are at is the streets of isle of man, when i got my RAC karting video, that clip was at the end of the vid, awesome footage!!

Clio
gav, if you live in barnsley, do you know a kart track in wombwell? that was my home track!!

I wish my Honda GX160 kart went that fast!

Its surely speeded up, i mean, what the hell is going on with the pedal action in relation to the sound - is that a clutch he has his left foot on, or are the brakes on 2 pedals for front/back?

Lionel Richie
thye're not supercharged at all, just normal superkarts (250cc 2 strokes)

our very own Ali races them (and i think jongsr does/did)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
thye're not supercharged at all, just normal superkarts (250cc 2 strokes)

Yeah, they're just superkarts - ie, karts built for full-size motor race circuits not short spint tracks - with the front nose cone removed so they've got enough ground clearance to handle a normal street surface.

And they weren't actually going very fast. That's the fun of any kart. That you are so close to the road, and you're in a vehicle that's so small you're close to everything, and exposed, and corners seems so much more open and don't need to be slowed down for as much.

Fast is when you're on the main straight of a race circuit and you wind out to 275 km/h (about 170 mph). When you're only 2 cm off the ground.

Last edited:
I wish my Honda GX160 kart went that fast!

Its surely speeded up, i mean, what the hell is going on with the pedal action in relation to the sound - is that a clutch he has his left foot on, or are the brakes on 2 pedals for front/back?

Accelerator on the right.

Brake pedal on the left activating a brake disk on each front wheel plus on on the solid rear axle. You've got an adjuster within reach down beside your left left for front-rear brake balance.

Hand gear change on the column. You only use the hand clutch for getting off from the start.

Last edited:
It seems you would be toast loosing it in a car nevermind a go kart at that speed !!

Insane.

Saw a guy crash a superkart into a concrete wall on his first day out on the track. The problem is you're not belted in, you don't have a roll cage, and you aren't far from the outer boundaries of the vehicle.

He went into the wall hitting with the front right corner of the kart. That hit first, then the kart swung around on its axis and slammed against the wall on its right side, with the left wheels leaving the ground, meaning he was thrown up out of his seat. He ended up with both ankles broken. Plus both wrists from his grip on the steering wheel, which was also broken. Plus his right elbow where it hit the wall, Plus his helmet hit the wall and he ended up with a fractured skull. They were afraid he had spine injuries, so they just cut the seat out of the frame of the kart and took it and him away by helicopter.

From then on the track put out the same padding on the concrete walls for superkart practice and race days as they do for bikes.

That said, its not as dangerous as that makes it sound, because the fact that a kart almost always stays on its tyres, and they are wide for the weight they're carrying so they have huge grip, in most circumstances you can spin a kart without even leaving the bitumen. Its when you touch wheels and the kart flips and you're sliding on your helmet with the kart on top of you, or worse another kart on top of you, or you take a corner way too fast and end up off the bitumen in the dirt, that you're in trouble.

Last edited:
  Street Triple R
That vid is speeded up, but the proper vid (which i have on VHS) is more impressive because you see how fast they actually are, those 250cc Karts are awesome, will hit 160mph on the big tracks,

Fred is right I used to race a lot but I havent done it for a little while now...still trying to get into car racing somehow

Clio
That vid is speeded up, but the proper vid (which i have on VHS) is more impressive because you see how fast they actually are, those 250cc Karts are awesome, will hit 160mph on the big tracks,

Fred is right I used to race a lot but I havent done it for a little while now...still trying to get into car racing somehow

mate, if you like saloon's i can recommend the 750 motorclub stock hatch championship, i race a 106 rallye, and its great fun, im only 18, did karting for 8 years, but i prefer the saloon racing!!

Street Triple R

mate, if you like saloon's i can recommend the 750 motorclub stock hatch championship, i race a 106 rallye, and its great fun, im only 18, did karting for 8 years, but i prefer the saloon racing!!

Yep Ive been looking at the stock hatch championship for a little while now mate, very nearly bought a VTR for it a couple of years ago, Its just a question of getting money together, Id so love to do it though...miss racing lots, last thing I raced was super one karting in 2005