ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going from Sky TV to Virgin - Thoughts

LY 182
Hey gang,

Quick one. I currently have my internet with Virgin which I've always been more than happy with. My TV package is with Sky which again I'm happy with. However the costs of both are starting to show and inevitably I can save a fair chunk of money by having all my services through just the one provider.

The best deal I have on the plate is with Virgin. Like for like packages, Virgin's package is £7 a month cheaper and with Virgin I'll also have ESPN and 2 HD boxes rather than just the 1 with Sky. So really the obvious option is to go with Virgin.

But before confirming I thought I'd quickly see if anybody has made the jump? Or anybody using Virgin TV is happy with the service. I know Sky is pretty good. MY friend went from Sky to Virgin and said he likes Virgin just as much but I wanted to get a couple other opinions.

Cheers. :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Tivo is a must. Its not quite ready to beat sky, but the updates coming through are very cool.

LY 182
Tivo is a must. Its not quite ready to beat sky, but the updates coming through are very cool.

Yeah I'll have the Tivo box in my room.

I mean I'm not expecting a Sky beater. But as long as I've got my Sports, HD, can record TV then that's all I really require.

At the moment I've been paying £35/month to Virgin for 20mb net. My Sky package which is sports, HD and multiroom and also has the phone line is like £88/month so I'm paying £120+. With Virgin I can get like for like on the TV and keep the internet and get £70/month all in so seems like the right call to make.

Audi A3
Partners dad got virgin about a year ago and never looked back.

Remotes dont seem as responsive and the channel flicking isnt quite as slick which annoys me when i use it. but catch up etc is superb. although sky have anytime plus when you have their broadband and this is very similar i think.

whats TiVo?

DB.

BMW 440i
Virgin is good, customer service isn't brilliant though. Often foreign. call centres too.

Listerine & Poledo
Virgin is good, customer service isn't brilliant though. Often foreign. call centres too.

I always used to get foreign call centres with Sky.
..Aberdeen, or something souding like that.

Anyway, could work out a single word they were on about.

Citroen DS3 DSport
TiVo combined with the excellent VOD service from Virgin is a excellent package. Sky cannot compete with VOD on Virgin.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I always thought Sky was so much smoother and user friendly compared with Virgin.

Sky actually reminds me of the iPhone. Genius but actually very simple in comparison to cluttered alternatives.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its a great interface, Tivo is good too, but a bit more clunky.

However the Tivo does more.

Hate sky. Paying the same with them as I was with virgin but get less channels and slower Internet :(

Only thing I like is sky+ remote record.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
TiVo should be pretty awesome, there's lots of irritations and slowness at the moment, but they're just in the process of pushing out an update which should be the first of many which will fix the problems.

Multiroom streaming should be excellent, we've got 2 boxes, so being able to stream between them will be good.

An the TiVo app for the iPad looks pretty sweet, just waiting for the virgin branded one to arrive after the update.

LY 182
Thanks for the replies all. Sounds like it's a pretty good package and I like the fact that they're working to improve it too. Think I'll be giving Sky my 31 days notice then.

On a side note, do I keep my Sky boxes when cancelling or will they come to collect them?

Listerine & Poledo
Virgin? Updating boxes to be better?
Fat chance, the Samsung V+HD's have been 400% toss since launch.

LY 182
Ah feck. All sorted okay and package confirmed etc. Only to find out that I can't get an install til Jan the 6th. So I won't be able to save much this month on Sky (only paid the bill 2 days ago). Will just have to give them 31 days notice as of December 6th and then Virgin can take over and I don't have a period of no TV.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Give them a call occasionally and see if they have any cancellations. I've seen quite a few people getting an install sooner from this.

LY 182
Yeah I will try them every now and again. It's not a huge bother was just hoping to save myself a bit of money but only like £50/60 which is okay as I'll be saving £45-50 per month on my current set up now anyway so plenty of long term savings lol.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Are you still in contract? If not, you can go through retentions. They are apparently doing free TiVo deals to existing customers. I've only read that online, haven't actually phoned up to find out for myself.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I've got the normal virgin box and 10mb net with phone gonna try and get tivo and 30 mb broadband but not up for dealing with the indian call centres

LY 182
Bloody hell. Just got a txt about my next phone bill, thought that's a bit high. £16 of charges from speaking to Sky and having the courtesy to allow them to try and get me to stay with their services.

They can go f**k themselves now.

Really would be tempted not to even give them notice about canceling but would no doubt just cause me hassle down the line.

Kawasaki ER6N
I moved from sky to virgin and now have 50mb Internet, home phone and a 500gb TiVo box with their xl tv package. As I said I was leaving sky they have me a second hd box for free in another room with no monthly cost.

Currently pay 42 per month going up to 62 in a few months.

Much better value as you get hd channels for free etc.

330ci Conv
Just went the other way... Moved TV back to sky as they offered a deal virgin couldn't touch. Now got sky world for £26.50 and kept the BB and phone with VM £34 for 30Mb which i think is the best of both worlds as cant fault the bb service i'm receiving and now the bonus of slicker TV menu

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Just signed up for another 12 months half price with Sky. I just love the slickness of the whole set up tv wise.

HD channels are imo more than worth.

Still can't understand the itv hd problem though. We just installed ours using the internet method but you would think they would have that sorted.

LY 182
No doubt that the Sky TV service is very slick. My main concern with moving all to Sky rather than Virgin was the fact I don't really know if Sky's broadband is any good. Certainly not glowing reviews online whilst Virgin's is rock solid.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Just signed up for another 12 months half price with Sky. I just love the slickness of the whole set up tv wise.

HD channels are imo more than worth.

Still can't understand the itv hd problem though. We just installed ours using the internet method but you would think they would have that sorted.

Friends and family code matey?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Just went the other way... Moved TV back to sky as they offered a deal virgin couldn't touch. Now got sky world for £26.50 and kept the BB and phone with VM £34 for 30Mb which i think is the best of both worlds as cant fault the bb service i'm receiving and now the bonus of slicker TV menu

Friends and family, again lol?

SQ5
Find a friend that has sky, get them to subscribe to multi room, take the box and card to your house and bung them £15 a month. Try find a friend with full package ;)