ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Goodyear eagle F1's for track??

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Got a few trackdays planned in the trophy.
Not long had a full set of goodyear eagle f1's fitted, will these be alright on track?
Or is it worth getting some other cheap wheels and some more track oriented tyres.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My experience is track based tyres like Rsr or similar will be much better. Or this time of year r1r's as it's likely to be wet.

But again this time of year it may be a safer bet with what you have now.

Clio 197
I've done about 1500 miles on my ASY3s and i'm not really impressed with their wet performance if i'm honest. I'd go with Uniroyal Rainsports 3s for wet trackdays.

I delaminated a pair on the front of my 6MPS in 10 laps at three sisters. They have sidewalls of jelly and fold over on themselves when really pushed, they'd fair better on a light Clio but wouldn't last long on a dry track in my experience.

Just get a cheap set of 15s with track tyres.

I delaminated a pair on the front of my 6MPS in 10 laps at three sisters. They have sidewalls of jelly and fold over on themselves when really pushed, they'd fair better on a light Clio but wouldn't last long on a dry track in my experience.

As above wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on the plate.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've done about 1500 miles on my ASY3s and i'm not really impressed with their wet performance if i'm honest. I'd go with Uniroyal Rainsports 3s for wet trackdays.
In my experience the ASY3 is a much better tyre all round compared to the RS3.
I've had the RS2's on the Clio in 205/45/16, the rs3 in 195/50/15 & 196/45/16. And on a jetta in 205/55/16.
I wouldn't buy them again to be honest, not for a reasonably fast/performance car anyway. The sidewalls are just so soft and make the car unstable round corners at speed.
I also almost killed the fronts when running 15's in around 5k miles of just road driving (had about 3mm left), and I wouldn't say I really gave them a hard time.
I'm always surprised at how often they get mentioned as a wet track tyre to be honest.
They might be ok on bigger wheeled cars running 35 or 40 profile tyres in very wet conditions, but the Clio doesn't have small side walls.
Also XL didn't really help much either

SC VX220 + BG 182 FF
had both, the ASY3 is such a good all rounder, for the odd track day i think they cope fine, but if you do have lots planned i would move to the Federal RSR I'm using them as all rounders and seem to be ok in wet etc but dry grip and the stiffer side walls really shine over the good years!

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
IMG_0108.JPG
The tyres will likely be vastly more capable than you mate

Most probably. .

Me after the first corner.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Work out how much tyres and wheels would cost. Then spend that on tuition. You see people on here who've done 5 track days saying r888's etc are 'needed'. Utter bullshit. All the gear, no idea.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd wager that someone who's done lots of tuition etc, would be faster and having more fun than 95% of the people in here using sticky tyres. And the money spent is a transferable skill that will be usable with all future cars.

If you decide to use the goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 on track, fit some camber bolts and set them to max to try a reduce the sidewalls tucking under.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I have Good Year Eagle F1's on my car, not much difference in performance from MPS. They perform reasonably well on track, just be disciplined on the number of laps each session. Some people get carried away and stay out for too many laps at a time and wonder why they destroy their tyres.

I have Good Year Eagle F1's on my car, not much difference in performance from MPS. They perform reasonably well on track, just be disciplined on the number of laps each session. Some people get carried away and stay out for too many laps at a time and wonder why they destroy their tyres.
10 x 50s laps at 3 sisters isn't staying out to long, they are far to soft for a track tyre in my experience. There was another guy there in a 3 MPS on the exact same tyre who ruined his as well, in contrast my mate in his 6MPS who was in the same session on budgets and his tyres where fine, see below on the footage, listen how quickly they start to squeal and go off.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Wish I'd done the same with the Evo at Anglesey tbh. Rather than having four of those paddle-steamer sized 18s rotating with a shitload of weight, I bet 15s would have transformed it on track.

Interestingly, the JDM Evo VI RS came with 15" steelies straight out of the factory. Arch gap galore - but I bet that fecker handled brilliantly.

Listerine & Poledo
They're fast road tyres, but if it's the GSD-3s then the MSA book suggests they're a bit of a step above of ContiSports etc. but yeah, sounds like they'll just melt on a multi-lap stint.

Given an MPS is a heavy (compared to a Clio) front-dragger with much torque, I can imagine it doesn't give Eagles much chance of survival. :/

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Ignoring the valid points about utilising tyres to gain lap time (ie concentrate on other areas first)
If your doing the TD for the occasional experience, or spending lap after lap on track, then road tyres will be ok. Dont expect to turn up with 3mm left and finish day with anything to go home on though.
If you want to get your moneys worth and do lots of laps, and do mutiple TDs a year then a set of spare wheels with some dedicated tyres is pretty much essential.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I had F1 assys on the back of my 182 when I started tracking it, couldn't do more than three or four laps before they started to melt. Made the back end feel very loose and unpredictable, the whole car would squirm around on the brakes. Great road tyres but my experience was that they were too soft for the track, and that was as a total noob.

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Think I will look for some cheap wheels and get some good track day tyres.

I did quite a few track days a few years ago in a stripped out mk2 golf on toyo's and they lasted well.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've just moved over from a set of NS2R in 180, to a set of AD08R.

Nothing really wrong with the NS2R, not great in the wet, but not really bad either. I did do a track day with them last month, and noticed a decent jump in grip levels once they had a few laps on them. Ended the day having spent £100 on fuel, so did a good amount of laps and stopped out for about 45 minutes at one point, but was doing a slow lap every 4-5 laps to keep the brakes cool. No melting, and probably lost less than 2mm of thread i reckon. Maybe the coldish weather helped though.

Now on AD08R, done about 500 road miles on them in the last week and a half, weather hasn't been that great. but I have noticed they're better in the wet, and they have better traction when pulling out of slow corners. The NS2R tended to break traction much easier, possibly due to need a little heat in them to get the best out of them.

I wouldn't not buy the NS2R again, but given i'm running 195/50/15 now, AD08R only cost about £220-240 for a full set, so it's not really worth the saving. Will see how they get on at the next track day i do next year.

Clio 197,with megan'
Ive run 888/Eagle F1/NS2r/ and the last track day I did in myR26, I used cheap ( Really Cheap!.) no name tyres, and in the Wet, they were as good as anything I have used. I was the fastest in my group, though admittedly a couple of them were on slicks!., BUT I was very surprised how good they were. For me., I will wear out the Eagle F1s that are on the Clio,then use a set of new P2s my son gave me. I would certainly consider cheap tyres on the road. Just my opinion.