ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GoPro or Camcorder? January Deals??

Swift Sport
I want a small HD camcorder to make some YouTube videos next year of trackdays, Bmx biking and general larking about. I looked at a GoPro but I'd want the LCD screen too so I can use it like a video-camera. So I'm left with a couple of questions...

- Has anyone seen any tasty deals in the upcoming January sales?
- Can anyone recommend a good camcorder for around the £300 mark?
- What are the benefits of either?
- Do the GoPros punch above their weight in terms of picture quality?

In short, for £300 am I better of with a GoPro or a camcorder with the same budget?

Oil Burner
I've just bought a go pro 2 and am awaiting its arrival. However from what i've seen it is a compromise. It takes HD footage yes, but its optics are designed to be cheap to replace when they get trashed. So it is very much built to a price, size and weight. You can buy an LCD back for it, i have no idea how good this is. I think its used more for setting up the shot rather than leaving it on it. As that would require another case.

On the plus, it can go under water, it is tiny, built like a tank and there are tons of accessories for it.

However a £300 camcorder will take much better footage, but try to mount it to your bike helmet or canoe and you're going to break it ;)

They are different products really.

I have bought mine from Jenson USA, it should work out under £270 even with all the extra charges.

Swift Sport
Useful info there mate. I think I'd be better off with a camcorder as I have no intentions of taking the camera underwater or mounting it to my helmet. I've seen mounts for trackdays which is all I'll need!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I got the Panasonic HDC-SD90 recently, was around £350 IIRC, probably a few places have it cheaper than that now.

Pros;
Flash SD memory so no HDD shutting down due to vibrations on track (my last Sony was a nightmare for doing that)
Full 1080p
Proper lens, very wide angle as standard (unlike the GoPro which has not much more than a mobile phone type lens)
Forward facing microphone

Cons;
Not as light nor as robust as a GoPro

2.2 bar shed.
GoPro simply because of the insane stuff you can do with them if you get a bit creative. You really dont need an LCD back. You just point it in the direct you want to film and it'll be reet.

TTRS & V50
GoPro definitely, I thought you are a BMXer anyway which is another plus for GoPro.

However original GoPros are at about 150. Is the new GoPro2 really worth double ? I'm in this dilemma too.

Listerine & Poledo
I was looking at the Looxcei LX2 for a while, but not sure if it fits the bill for you

182cup & 172 racecar
GoPro definitely, I thought you are a BMXer anyway which is another plus for GoPro.

However original GoPros are at about 150. Is the new GoPro2 really worth double ? I'm in this dilemma too.

Yes they are,much better sound quality,wider screen shots etc,we got one for next years racing for £190.:D

2.2 bar shed.
As long as you're not shooting in low light if you shoot 1080p and downscale to 720p in a decent program you wont notice a difference. Save the money and buy 2 normal GoPro's?

From what I've seen there is a big difference in quality between the original Go Pro and the HD, it's not just the resolution that's better.

Some of the sample video on YouTube are stunning but I've not had the same results, think you need good light and a steady surface for crisp footage.

Swift Sport
As good as the GoPro is, I've gone for a camcorder. The lack of an LCD screen put me off as I will be using it for family videos and days out etc.

Trophy 426 & Willy 3
you really don't need a screen as the lens is so wide, you just point in the vague direction and you're away.

The great thing with the Go Pro is that its so robust and comes with that many mounts you can fix it to anything, and its pretty much indestructible, so for the family its great, as you get things / POV you wouldn't get with a video camera.

Strap it to the kids bikes, take it walking, swimming etc or give it to the kids to use. Its also tiny.

The quality of the HD is great, sound in the none fully water proof housing is perfect, mountings are idea.

The only down sides are the small LCD screen / control takes a bit of getting used to, but simple once you crack it. Also you need to bear in mind that you need a good large / fast SD card to capture the fun.

This give you a good idea of GoPro versatility, mounted pretty much to everything I could and made the most of the underwater casing!

BUT I can't seem to get that HD quality I see in other movies :dapprove:
[video=vimeo;23129699]http://vimeo.com/23129699[/video]

Oil Burner
What setting were you running the video on? I shot a few mins of video and whilst having issues playing it back smoothly, the quality looks superb.

I had a play with mine today, its fair to say the stills mode does not do low light. 400 ISO is laughable.
Wish i had a chest mount as the helmet gives a really odd view.

But it worked ok, so should be put to use later in the year for some cool projects.

untitled-shoot-2428-m.jpg

untitled-shoot-1707-M.jpg

Oil Burner
That is straight from the camera. The widescreen mode is just an aspect ratio (which i think can be turned off), so i would imagine it just ignores the bottom/top parts of the sensor. A bit like running DX mode one a FF Nikon if you see where I'm coming from.

hmmm generally shoot it with the 60fps option, think thats 720p which could be where I'm going wrong. Next time I'm biking I'll go 30fps 1080p and try to mount it to something not shaking like a dog s**ting razor blades!

TTRS & V50
Yeah I thought it would just crop it.

60fps should still be good quality, check these super-slo-mo's.

[video=vimeo;31668640]http://vimeo.com/31668640[/video]

stunning! think I need to test mine a little but to be fair the underwater bit on mine is the best footage, so could be bike rattle ruining the images or wet dull Wales!