ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got a standard panel filter in my 172, will a performance one make any difference?

Clio 172 /Evo 6 TME
Been doing a few mods to my clio 172, been told by a friend worth upgrading to a KandN panel air filter. Been using the search function on here to see if better but all I have learnt is dont go for an induction kit! So worth buying a KandN or similar or dont bother. TBH would like a bit more induction noise! Thanks

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Have a search for the "fattys induction kit" if you're after some noise.

You're not gonna notice any performance increases with any filter tbh

Clio 172 /Evo 6 TME
Im not looking for more noise but thought of that as a bonus really. Was interested if the performance panels were better than standard for a bit more power. Had a few people say should look at doing but reading on here not really worth it.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
You certainly won't lose power with a panel filter, and any gain isn't going to be noticable. Only true bonus is you don't need to replace it at each service

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Im new to clios but not new to cars or mechanics, the general conclusion is that open cone filters suffer heat soak (unless supplyed with cold air) and actually loose bhp and torque.
Panel filters dont usualy (or as bad) as they are incased in the OE filter housing. If there is any baffles or restrictions on the airbox or intake pipe that can be blanked off would help but you probably wont gain much other than abit of noise and possibly a slight increase in throttle response.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I run a normal filter, in 15 years I've never thought, wow that after market filter has made the car amazing..

It's a nice sound, mostly placebo and money out your pocket.. You'll get more free power stripping the car out and losing weight, having a big sh1t in the morning.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Chuck the money towards a remap or RSTuner box.
Still small power gains, but a decent improvement in driveability so it will be something you notice.