ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gt cams bhp figures inside .

phase 2 172
Had my Clio 172 cup mapped at rs tuning yesterday evening,The car made 177.5 bhp and 170 pounds of torque.Mods are gt cams and a decat.At first I was a bit disappointed with the results ,but the car feels so much quicker than the figures .Also the next car on the dyno ,which was a full on Clio racecar with cams and throttle bodies made 175 Bhp and no where near as much torque.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Nice one I've just had them aswell my Trophy made 185 and just feels a different car now well happy

Evo 5 RS
Had my Clio 172 cup mapped at rs tuning yesterday evening,The car made 177.5 bhp and 170 pounds of torque.Mods are gt cams and a decat.At first I was a bit disappointed with the results ,but the car feels so much quicker than the figures .Also the next car on the dyno ,which was a full on Clio racecar with cams and throttle bodies made 175 Bhp and no where near as much torque.

Nice torque, that'll go well.

lol at making 175 on bodies though, wouldn't use that as any kind of comparison matey, sounds broken!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
One at our last RR day a car with GT cams and a couple of 182s with out cams just exhausts and filters made more power and and LOL at 175 on bodies AND cams something wrong with that as said !
But if it feels better on the road thats all that matters .

Alot of money for such a little gain but tbh if driveability is better then all is good. The clio with bodies etc is definatly broken. I would have put the money towards bodies over cams. Any graph/printouts??

WRX
Shame that everybody just sees the bhp as the be all and end all. It's the extra delivery that shows with these. Don't forget most 172s are running around 160bhp so a good power gain has been made if you want to be blinkered and just see numbers.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
bodies and cam's - it wasnt broken, that's all it could make, some dynos are more realistic than others!

surely it was either:
Cams timed wrong
Engine knackered
Mapping not done right
Bodies wrong spec for engine
Cams wrong spec for engine
VVT not operated by the management running the bodies properly

If it wasnt one of those things (all of which I would consider "broken") then it would have made 190bhp+ on RS Tuning's dyno I would have thought.

LOTS of bodies cars out there not as quick as they should be and its normally down to mapping.

At Bedford I was driving Mike from MWM's Phase 1 with an RS2 and 197 cams, and it was as quick down the straight with its leather trim etc as a bodies equipped RB 182 with plastic windows and stripped out. But I bet if I had the RB for a week, it would be a lot quicker than mikes afterwards!

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
I'm not arsed about figures when Paul mapped my car and we went for a drive I could tell the difference and 2 guys I sprint with have both driven mine and both well impressed

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm not arsed about figures when Paul mapped my car and we went for a drive I could tell the difference and 2 guys I sprint with have both driven mine and both well impressed

If you enjoy it and it works well for your application, then jobs a good un :)

Ph1
What are GT cams? Is the 'GT' bit an abbreviation of something or the actual name?

Awesome torque. TB territory.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

What figures at the wheels did you get just out of intrest ?

ph1 172
I have an engine lined up ready for my ph1 with GT cams fitted. Will also be running Jenvey's and 182 manifold along with lightened pulleys, no a/c, no pas etc. Will be interested to see how much it makes. I am hoping for 205bhp at the flywheel and hopefully is realistic.

Although I am not too bothered what it makes as long as it pulls hard through the revs thats all that matters. My 182 made 174bhp on some very reliable rollers which isn't a freak engine but it pulls incredibly hard and has shown up or matched equal Clio's but with a bigger output on cams etc..

Lionel Richie
surely it was either:
Cams timed wrong
Engine knackered
Mapping not done right
Bodies wrong spec for engine
Cams wrong spec for engine
VVT not operated by the management running the bodies properly

If it wasnt one of those things (all of which I would consider "broken") then it would have made 190bhp+ on RS Tuning's dyno I would have thought.

LOTS of bodies cars out there not as quick as they should be and its normally down to mapping.

At Bedford I was driving Mike from MWM's Phase 1 with an RS2 and 197 cams, and it was as quick down the straight with its leather trim etc as a bodies equipped RB 182 with plastic windows and stripped out. But I bet if I had the RB for a week, it would be a lot quicker than mikes afterwards!

no its just a crap engine, still gained 31 places, so can't be all that bad eh ;) You don't win races on a rolling road remember

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
no its just a crap engine, still gained 31 places, so can't be all that bad eh ;) You don't win races on a rolling road remember

Engine knackered was on the list, lol
Clearly something wrong with it to be making so little power at the end of the day.

But like you say, other things matter more anyway.

People definately obsess too much over rolling road results, especially given how easy they are to get wrong.

Load it back on again and loosen the straps on the front so it climbs the rollers and it will make 190+ no bother on the same rollers, thats the biggest problem with chasing RR figures, you can make more difference in how you take the reading than in how you tune the engine if you want, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
he has no VVT too - which is how (I guess) in a straight line I could keep up once passed, my acceleration is a lot quicker - please correct me if wrong or not 100% right.

If you are on standard cam timing marks, you will lose lots of midrange without the VVT on most cam profiles.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
aye, you're missing the advance without it (unless you dial the cams in)

Good thing about having it, as opposing to dialling the cams in without it, is you can switch it off again at very high rpm where you dont want the advance.

Bad thing is reliability though of course, fixed pulleys dont go wrong and dont require oil pressure.