ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gumball Rally Type Thing for Cancer Research UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Black 172 MK2
If its for charity you may want to look into getting peoples VAT's returned. Im sure for charity you can claim for everyones petrol, food and hotels. You would just need to get everyone to hand in petrol recipts etc at the end. That way all the VAT returned could be put towards the charity as well. Not 100% on this but again something to look into.

I don't think there should be prize money as someone suggested, firstly it just isn't right in my opinion, and secondly it would probably open another can or worms i.e. it would officially be competitive if there was a "winner".

I also don't think the sponsor money should go towards costs such as petrol as has been mentioned. Personally I would be looking at £200+ in petrol easily, can you imagine the response you would get if you told people that the money they give would be going towards petrol instead of to the charity! If someone specifically (most likely a company if you advertise them on the car or something) gives you £200 to cover costs then fair enough, but otherwise I think costs should be covered by the individual.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
ukaskew said:
I don't think there should be prize money as someone suggested, firstly it just isn't right in my opinion, and secondly it would probably open another can or worms i.e. it would officially be competitive if there was a "winner".

I also don't think the sponsor money should go towards costs such as petrol as has been mentioned. Personally I would be looking at £200+ in petrol easily, can you imagine the response you would get if you told people that the money they give would be going towards petrol instead of to the charity! If someone specifically (most likely a company if you advertise them on the car or something) gives you £200 to cover costs then fair enough, but otherwise I think costs should be covered by the individual.

i agree on this, i think just a trophy and a bottle of champagne, or even just a trophy.

its not about winning the money or even winning is it? just to raise money for a charity

by the way i would be up for this, gonna post it up on Pistonheads.com see what everyone thinks there

i was thinking of an incentive for people to run havin prize money. otherwise people are basically paying £30 to a charity then wasting £100+ on petrol for no reason. y not just give £30 to charity each.

Corrado VR6
Just seen this referenced on Pistonheads.. sounds a great idea, and not sure a 'prize' would be needed at all..

However the organisational overhead with this is quite considerable- especially with hotels mid way etc....

great idea though..

Will put something up about this on the VW corrado forum- reckon there may be people there who would be interested in taking part

Ben j said:
i was thinking of an incentive for people to run havin prize money. otherwise people are basically paying £30 to a charity then wasting £100+ on petrol for no reason. y not just give £30 to charity each.

Wasting £100+ on petrol?! Surely getting to drive the length of the country with like minded charitable people, meeting up at hotels etc and having a great time, earning loads of money for good causes etc is incentive enough?

A trophy or two may be fine, one for the first person if it has to be that way, and more importantly one for most entertaining/spirited (like Spirit of the Gumball)...things like decorating their car the most or gets the most sponsorship or just makes the whole journey more entertaining for everyone (or a combination of all the above!)

Been thinking about this quite seriously today whilst on my travels. I know this idea will probably be dismissed immediately but hear me out...

Huge numbers are great as far as money is concerned, but when you have 70+ cars or something you are looking at requiring big hotels (not already booked to some extent) with big facilities etc, which all costs big money, your standard Travel Lodge isn't going to have 70+ available rooms that you can block book at any given time. The financial costs of organisation alone could amount to us all needing to shell out a £200+ "registration fee" just to cover basics like accommodation.

Say if it was ClioSport only (or limiting it to ClioSport, RenaultSport and any Megane 225 forums etc) the efforts would be far more concentrated, the logistical nightmare would be minimized massively (for example we already have the forum here for organisation) and it would be a group of people with a common interest (many of whom have met to some extent in the past) so the community spirit of it all would be far greater. It may even lead to Renault UK/RenaultSport lending their support in some way.

If we could get say 50 (25 from each direction) ClioSporters and other Renault/RenaultSport owners together for it I feel it would actually make much more sense. If its a success this time then the good points/bad points can be looked at after and if it looks possible then it can be opened up the next year, doors will open with regards to sponsorship and help from the authorites if you can prove you've done it successfully in the past but you need to start somewhere.

Just an idea, but something I think could/should be considered as a starting point.

Last edited:
ukaskew said:
Wasting £100+ on petrol?! Surely getting to drive the length of the country with like minded charitable people, meeting up at hotels etc and having a great time, earning loads of money for good causes etc is incentive enough?

A trophy or two may be fine, one for the first person if it has to be that way, and more importantly one for most entertaining/spirited (like Spirit of the Gumball)...things like decorating their car the most or gets the most sponsorship or just makes the whole journey more entertaining for everyone (or a combination of all the above!)

i think i worded that a bit wrong, by wasteing i mean by the time everyones paid for hotels, petrol etc thats A LOT of money being used that could also go to the charity but isnt if that makes more sense. i didnt mean just wasteing it.

Elise/VX220/R26
already got 4 or 5 meganes intrested in this as for the hotel problem there only need to be one stopover doesnt there? Failing that lets get hardcore and make it part of the challenge to sleep in the cars!

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
if its in spring/summer, why not get a field to camp in??
make it £20 a tent, then with that money pay for a field then spend the rest on beer for the drivers.

i think there should be an award for the car that breaks down the most.
as its there will be 50+ renaults on the drive this should surly be interesting.

we need to stop sat nav, not sure how we can. i just hope people realise the adventure theyd miss out on if they always knew where they were going

Hey, this sounds like a really good idea, i drive an ibiza, but would still like to take part!! so would it be like sponsor forms etc? sent you an email aswell..

Civic Vtec y0
Right guys, been at work all day and thinkin hard about this! (Honestly I love my job, and work really really hard lol)

Now I've foned a few hotels in various parts of the country to get prices etc, I have been talking to a hotel which will hopefully be our first checkpoint, they have enough rooms for up to about 60 prople, however they need to think about us using their carpark as our first checkpoint, (ie at the start of the day you get told you need to get to "Hotel X's carpark in timbuck 2) this is where I would like everyone to check there cars in and finish the days event as it makes it easier as the check-in point is the hotel! They also have a function suite so we could have a good few beers and generally a good night!

Theres NOT going to be any prize money, the whole idea of taking part is to raise loads of money and just have a good few days really! If people want to speed, be dangerous etc then thats up to them! Its only themselfs that will have a fine or points! Ok rant over now lol. But honestly, there will be prizes, for example a prize like the spirit of the gumball (Or whatever this 1 will be called), a prize for best/worst car. Other prizes 4 people who raise the most monet etc.

Heres an updated of the sponsoring process! You would enter the event and it would cost you a small fee (to pay to get information sheets printed off for you, sponsor forms and postage) but its only likely to be a few quid. Once I confirm hotels etc I will work out how much it will cost per person and this will be your entry fee. This entry fee will pay for you hotels, hopefully breakfast, car parking costs, stickers, and will cover anyother cost you may need to pay. However you will get sponsored and your sponsor money will cover this entry fee. For example, your entry free is £150 and you get £300 sponsor money, well £150 covers fees and £150 goes to charity!

I think limiting it to Cliosport, and the megan forums is a good idea. Its a lot less hassel for me to organise it then. However if you know people who dont own a clio or megan then they can still enter, its just to make my job easier!
Another idea I had was that passengers (if any is taking any) could also get a sponsor sheet and raise money as well, they wodn't have a minimum amount to raise but it would just mean more money could be raised! Or if say you and friend are taking turns at driving yo can get a joint sponsorship form to make it easier?

Hopefully will have a completed idea by the end of the week and then I can start taking entries and you guys can start rasing money!!
Getting excited now!

Oh BTW does anyone want to take me???? I'll have too much organising to do, cant really drive! Theres an idea, we have a charity auction to see who wants to take the organiser lol

Cheers for all the info and support so far guys! Its all been great, keep it up!

Ryan

Harry_manback said:
if its in spring/summer, why not get a field to camp in??
make it £20 a tent, then with that money pay for a field then spend the rest on beer for the drivers.

i think there should be an award for the car that breaks down the most.
as its there will be 50+ renaults on the drive this should surly be interesting.

we need to stop sat nav, not sure how we can. i just hope people realise the adventure theyd miss out on if they always knew where they were going
Camping is a superb idea!!!

Any news on top heavy lovelies yet?

Civic Vtec y0
No news on any babes yet! Anyone know where I could get some?? Or anyone know any girls that would like to model? (Free of charge of course!)

Pictures please lol

Ryan

Elise/VX220/R26
maybe if the hotels etc are kept to cliosport then make a plan of the route and times then invite other clubs etc to join the cliosport convoy from say Leeds to Northampton, cuts down on organisation, if people want to make their own arrangements at other hotels etc they can

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
has anyone set a site up for this.... recently had some family die of the same.... so keen to participate.

Civic Vtec y0
***********IMPORTANT NEWS**********************

Just had an email back from the RSAC and heres what we can do, either just have it as an event with no prizes for 1st, 2nd or 3rd (Well apart from something small and a few beers at the bar) and that way all I need to do is phone local police in all the areas we are coming thru and let them know.

However if we want to have big prizes thenI need to apply for permission from the RSAC in Scotland and the Motor Sport Association in England, so this will be more organizing and time, time is something I dont get a lot of to myself these days!

So therefore I am going ahead with idea one.

Anybody good with setting up websites? Or know any one that is? Thinking of getting one set up have have an online entrance system.

Cheers Guys

Ryan

1997 Mk1 Megane 2.0 16v
nice idea, id be up for it, tho in the summer if poss. nicer driving conditions, ill keep an eye on this mate

DC5
Been reading this since it started, and it sounds good. Spring would be a good time, better driving conditions than winter, and more driveable for those without AC in the summer

172 cup and Saab 9-3
on the sticker thing why not blag, it's not as if you doing it for fun plus offer abit of advertising for company?

bigbruno71 said:
on the sticker thing why not blag, it's not as if you doing it for fun plus offer abit of advertising for company?

Thinking about this, 4 main side panels, try to sell the space for £50 each to local companies to cover petrol costs!

Oh and 100% behind you on the no winners option, sounds like a lot less hassle. Any names for the event yet, it needs a name!

haribo8 said:
i reckon we should have a cannonball style race, we all put money into a pot, winner takes all!!!

i think the idea was that we give the money to cancer research mate

BMW M3 - For Sale!
ryan, just sent u an email about getting stickers made up as i know a local company who can do any stickers we want for next to nothing

i'm guessin club logo at the top and then the event name at the bottom with the cancer research logo

e.g.

C L I O S P O R T . N E T
Gumball | Cancer Research UK

but obviously with logos instead of text

i woud host the site and manage it for free if you like :D could also have a stab at designing it for you, as i said earlier my old man and gramps went to cancer and i've not really had a great way of raising some decent money to help research so here's my two pence worth.

S2000
Really starting to think this would be a great fuindraiser and a good trip. How many people have indicated their interest so far ryan?

Civic Vtec y0
It would probably be late spring when the event is run, as I am in the process of setting up my own business and hopefully it will be up and running at the start of summer so again time will be limited! But a final date will be confirmed soon!

"All the money in a pot and winner takes all" eh no! This is a fundrasier, not a chance for you to make a quick buck! Sorry to be harsh but that was not a good thing to say!

See about the 4 main panels of yourcar having companies on them....would it just be a large sticker?? That sounds like a ood idea, as I would say the price of petrol is putting a lot of people off at the min! Well you all are more than welcome to get local companies to pay you to advertise. Good Idea!!

Going to email about the stickers later, can get free cancer research stickers, so could just get ones made up of clio sport and the name of the event, which brings me on to my next point....A NAME! Any suggestions??

So far I have only had about 15 emails but if the website gets set up then im sure more people will enter thru that, thats another thing I am going to try and get set up asap, thanks to LordH and Andy_GDI for their inputand suggestions.
Thanks for all the input so far! Helped me out a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Ryan

wheres it going to?

something like

lands end or bust?

cliorun?

not sure about any others, my mind is much of a creative machine

Civic Vtec y0
polarbert said:
wheres it going to?

something like

lands end or bust?

cliorun?

not sure about any others, my mind is much of a creative machine

Clio's Run For Cancer?

What do you all think?
another quick thing, no volenteers 2 take me yet lol! I need a car 2 go in!

Status
Not open for further replies.