ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hayward & Scott - Issues.

Mondeo STTDCI
As some know I had a Hayward and Scott exhaust made up and fitted to my car a few months back as part of the group buy.

I was quite happy with it, but after a few weeks it looked a little like it was on the piss and some adjustment was required. There was also quite a lot of movement at the back which other members of the group buy went back to have looked at.

I went back to have the "fix" for the movement put on, which as it turned out consisted of a spot welded "bracket" fashioned from stainless. This bracket is spot welded onto two parts of the silencer. Then they drilled through the exhaust mount, but instead of it being at the bottom lile the OE holes, they put it through the side. They put a rubber cotton mill btween the OE mount and the side of the bracket they had fashioned, put a bolt through and put nuts either side.

Now there is MASSIVE vibration running through the car. I emailed H&S and told them, they said it hadn't happened on the other cars. Fine, I said I wanted to come back and for them to remove the bracket. Ian the general manager advised me to just remove the rubber cotton mill and leave the bracket where it was. I thought - Great. But I cant remove the mill. I took the nuts off either side but the mill is incredibly difficult to undo and get off. So thats jingly jangling about quite nicely making a fuking awful racket.

Further, they removed one of the OE mounting bolts to do the above. I have since ordered the bolt from Renault (only 62p) but it looks like there is also a 2-3mm thick washer between the two mounting plates on the other mounts. This washer is also missing, and it also looks like I cant order that from Renault (am hoping it turns up in the packet with the bolt from Renault or I'll end up having to source a washer the right size etc).

So at the moment by car sounds like a bloody rattling van. I have had two trips to Basildon thus far (and looking like a third) and a trip to Renault to order the part, and another trip to Renault to collect it (and god knows what I'll do about the missing washer).

Not only that, the spot welds on the silencer, are ugly. It looks like it has been botched. I actually found a wiry piece of solder sticking out from the spot weld just now. Great craftsmanship.

Why did I bother spending upward of £400. All this stress, costs and its making me hate my car.

Mondeo STTDCI
Ha. And I'm talking serious vibration through the rear bumper and the panels. Especially at idle.

Am talking to GDi about getting a prospeed or a yozzasport one put on to replace it, just depends on pricing.

Mondeo STTDCI
Well Andy hasnt got back to me regarding the other two yet - I just need prices and a run down on the systems. Have you any info from AWT on this system mate?

Mondeo STTDCI
Update - Im going back in on the 9th HOPEFULLY for it to be fixed. Will decide what to do once GDI get back to me.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i've gone back from a magnex to an O.E system because of rattles and vibrations, there was always something :( like you said they just make you hate the car, much nicer now :)

Mondeo STTDCI
Its odd cos I loved it so much before. But now Im looking at new cars! Need to get it sorted soon as.

193 mk2
if i were u id have STRONG words with hayward & scott, tell them to refund all your expences & replace the whole thing with a new 1, there supposed to be 1 of the best. put them to the test, they did for james!!!

Mondeo STTDCI
Re: Hayward & Scott - Issues + added idle query

To be honest I was happy with it before, but definitely not now.

I've just managed to remove the cotton mill so the rattling sound has stopped. Had to undo completely the two mounting plates and took a risk really as I did it all with a 13mm spanner and a trolley jack so if anything had gone wrong I'd have been fooked!

Renault came through quite quickly with the bolt that was missing - and only 62p! The washers between the mounting plate and the mount turned out to be 2 washers! But luckliy I picked up something very similar indeed from B&Q a Renault said they couldnt supply them/werent on the parts computer. Couldnt be arsed to argue knew I'd get washers from somewhere.

So...now its back as it was with an added spot welded (and unused) bracket. It still chuggs a bit at idle but I cant remember what it was like standard or before. I cant be bothered to go back to Basildon and stand outside the workshop for a couple of hours and I cant afford to be without the car anytime soon so its staying - but may be replaced later with something from GDI

What does everyone else's 182 idle at?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30
Hip_Spasm,

Sounds like a right sh*tter :(

I thought everyone was raving about how much better they were than all the other exhausts, but I guess not.

I hope you get it sorted sharpish, not a nice feeling I guess towards your car.

I'm sure Andy and Ben will help if they can.