ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlamp Washer Jets Not Working

BMW 320d SE
As above. I know this has been covered a few times before in here but not many solutions have been found it seems.
My washer jets for the headlamps have stopped working. Not sure when this happened but sometime since February.
I've checked the pump by swapping over the connectors, and that works fine (headlamp washers started leaking after that test, but that's another thing), so I know the motor, hoses and everything in between is good. The fuse looks fine too, but I swapped it to be sure. The multimeter reads zero at all times across the plug for the pump, so my problem would appear to be electrical.
Is anyone able to shed some light on the likely cause here? I know I could just blank them off but I'd like to get them working if possible.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Then you'll probably have to trace the wiring, check the stalk is working.

If you switch the plugs on the two pumps, does the windscreen washer stop working completely?

BMW 320d SE
I could stretch the plug to the headlamp motor but couldn't quite stretch the other plug to the windscreen motor, if you get my drift.

Clio 182 Full Fat
You'll need to remove the reservoir to test them properly, so you can swap the pumps over. Also the pump outlet maybe full of crap. There's a guide on hear for repairing the problem

BMW 320d SE
The pump is fine and has been tested in-situ. It's just not getting any power. I think it's likely to be the stalk from what others have said. Not sure if there's any way to test the stalk though.

NathanV

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182
The pump is fine and has been tested in-situ. It's just not getting any power. I think it's likely to be the stalk from what others have said. Not sure if there's any way to test the stalk though.
I had a similar problem, it turned out that the pin connectors on the pump needed adjusting slightly (I used a small screwdriver, very gently) so there was interference between the pins & mating connector, hence possibly why the pump works on the other connector(?).

I only worked this out after having spent a good amount of an afternoon tracing the power back to the UCH, using a multi-meter, a light bulb and plenty of wire! And switching the headlamps on! Although the pump ran (you could hear it), it didn't pump any water so I got a replacement. Works perfectly now.