ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

headlight correction

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
hey bit stuck here really i have searched but didnt really get the answer i want. i have finished off with a 2000 and then went at it with some menz polish and it doesnt seem to want to restore the finish back up very well. is the menz power gloss not got enough cut in it? or am i doing something rong :S iv done a little wet sanding practice on a bootlid before and it was a doddle but these just dont seem to want to come up with a good finish. do i need the scratchX it it more of a cut? thanks

edit-forgot to mention im using a d.a

Last edited:

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
had ago abit more and in dull light they look okay but if i turn my lights on i can see there all hazy. best bet to try the scratch x still?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Laquer? :S. Well im using a d.a with my menz polish which worked well on the paintwork of my previous car and my clio so im thinking maybe the menz im using isnt abrasive enough to get a good finish on the plastic lens cover. im going to try the scratch x tomorow as it seems everyone is using that.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
lol didnt think you could spray the lights with laquer dont think il risk that anyway lol worst comes to the worst il go somewhere that can polish them up like new alot easier than i can lol.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
went 600 800 1200 2000 2500 (i know i started too low but have used lots of 1200 and 2000) put the d.a on it for quite some time and like i said it has improved it in normal light but when the beam is on you can see its still slightly hazy. would the scratch x be more abrasive than the menz power gloss that i used? or should i just keep going with the menz?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
really? ahh thats no good lol maybe an attempt at abit more 1200 2000 and 2500 will help? if not a new lens?

Last edited:

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
lol didnt think you could spray the lights with laquer dont think il risk that anyway lol worst comes to the worst il go somewhere that can polish them up like new alot easier than i can lol.

Yeah man its fine honestly the lamps come up like new!

Clio 172 RS2
"ahh thats no good lol maybe an attempt at abit more 1200 2000 and 2500 will help?"

i suggest:

- Wet sand with P800 followed by P1000 and lots of water!

- Machine polish with 3M Fast Cut PLUS (Green 50417) with a correct polish pad!

- Finish of with Autoglym Super Resin Polish by hand!

@ least that's what i did correcting the 'yellowing' / 'christalizing' at the top of the lenses

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
went at it with more 2500 and the scratch x its pretty good now and looks perfect under normal light. just abit rough when you put the headlight on and get right down low and look into the light will do for now though :)

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
600 we used to rub down Fighter jets with 600! Get them ready for new paint you started way to low dude you prob have done damage starting that low as said before above.

Trophy Turbo :)
600 we used to rub down Fighter jets with 600! Get them ready for new paint you started way to low dude you prob have done damage starting that low as said before above.

agreed i woudl have used 1200 and even tho it would have took longer to do it would have been good, then to 1500 then 2000 then polished them up

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i know bit gutted really i had a search on here and found a thread where someone had used 600 so thought the was correct someone needs to remove that thread haha but still after going at it with the higher grades ALOT i think its pretty much sorted it. i also only done 600 on one side as i done one and then the other so didnt want to strugle again.
6127322739_26571e0640_z.png

DSCF4129 by Adam1182, on Flickr
bit fussy maybe but this is what i mean

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
try the 2500 if your really struggling then go to 2000 minimum i suppose not 100% though

BG182FF
i think im gonna try the 2500 and just do it for ages then finish with the 3000. Just so scared to mess it up lol. i got scratch x though :)

ibiza cupra
i did mine with 1500 wet and dry then 2000 wet and dry. then polished it up using g3 on a machine polisher
went from this
a4b8335a.gif

to this
5ed5b143.gif

Mine were really bad too (51 plate) Just used ScratchX and cotton polishing bit on my drill. Don't think it's what u use that counts. Think it's how long youre prepared to stand there polishing that makes a difference! I'm on my fourth session and almost there. They've come up really nice. Takes a good while tho.
Cheers

BG182FF
Mine arent too bad but lots of stone chips haha, what polishing pad would i need to use after the wet and drying? lol