ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello Mr Naples (1.8 16v Clio)

1.8 16v Clio
Well after months of driving round in my ****ty 106 and waiting for my glorious student loan to come in i got a new project. Had quite a few cars in mind such as an eg6, 172 clio and the such. Came across this wee valver, very hard to get a good one over here that isn't a pile of rust or chavy looking. Managed to come across this one locally, it hasn't been on the road since 2009 so has no tax and mot. Not to worried about that.

Spec:

• Naples red 1.8 16v clio
    • At the minute it's pretty standard just with the exception of a magnex exhaust system and an air filter
    • It's had a full engine overhaul and hasn't been on the road since then as the previous owner didn't have the time for it
    • Its also has ****ty tsw wheels which i don't like so their leaving.
    Plans are:
    • Getting a set of renault turbines for it this week
      • Get it up to the rr day at AI
    • clean up all the body work etc as it has sat for a while and faded a touch.
    • Tidy up the engine bay
    • lowered a touch more at the back
    • fix the leaky sunroof
    • maybe supercharge it next year (if i keep it till then and have the cash :p)

Here it is, Apologies for the ****ty pics

80933279.jpg

b3259697.jpg

The Wheels
    56558479.jpg

40542513.jpg

10ff275d.jpg

Took the scuttle panel, spoiler and wipers off as they were grey and faded, so i sprayed them up
    84f596fe.jpg

7b0b3b04.jpg

After
    c7fb68f1.jpg

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
looks good mate,
if you need some inspiriation looks up f0xy or whiteley.

also instead of supercharging, consider getting an F7R engine instead,
theyre a straight fit and youll get 150hbp instead of 120.
can do it all for about £500

williams and trophy
138 bhp in the valvers mate ;)

the extra 134 cc, 12 bhp and 20 iirc lb/ft is well worth the conversion tho. diff between the 2 to drive is like night and day.

also well worth sticking with the f7 series blocks rather than go the f4 route imho. simple conversion, get just as much power spec for spec, i.e cam duration etc. and the f7s in my experience are pretty much bulletproof

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I was always amazed how different the F7R was compared to the P - Such an awesome engine.

Miss the low down grunt of a good willy engine, I hate waitng and waiting for the F4R to come on song..

1.8 16v Clio
Their not 120bhp their 137bhp :D Yea i don't plan to do any conversions at the minute as I want to stick with the original engine. It's a good strong engine as I've been told by a good few others, I would have to drive another Valver though to confirm this for myself though. F7R seems to tune well but if I can get at least 170bhp I'll be happy enough but for now a good strong figure on the rolling road day I'm going to in a few weeks will make me happy. My main aim is to get the exterior to a high level and really restore this car to new condition as to many of them are just vandalised.

1.8 16v Clio
Yea had all the arches re done by the previous owner, has the usual sunroof leak which I'll fix and a touch of rust in the boot but apart from that it's a very good shell.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ahh sorry, was wrong about the valver power, never really got into them, i went straight for the F7R, and the difference is massive,
a much better starting point for tuning imo,

but its your car, look forward to seeing how the power mods go!

1.8 16v Clio
Yea it would be a better started point but then it would take away from the originality of the car which is ultimately what I want to achieve at the minute. I have cheated a bit though and got phase 1 wheels for a phase 2 car :p

Clio RT
looks like a nice clean valver, I love naples red and it looks great on yours. Nice choice if wheels too!

Should be good with a tidy up and the few touches you've got planned.

Nic

williams and trophy
iv got some ph2 rims with the (apparently quite rare) metal centre covers if your after some mate

1.8 16v Clio
Nah mate I'm just going to stick with the turbines for now but thanks for the offer. I was sitting thinking last night has anyone ever wire tucked a Valver or any Renault, it would be pretty cool to attempt. If anyones seen it done before post up some links

ITB'd MK1
looks cool :)

F7P is worth more than it's credited with tbh, can do loads to them (most don't, and follow the herd ;) ) the huge bonus is the cost of an engine if you need one. £50 for a P of £350 for an R

Doing this to a "p" at the moment
IMAG0346.jpg

1.8 16v Clio
Yea everyone seems to go for the wily lump. What sort of gains are you expecting? Is that a home made kit or one like the ktec one that's available

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Wire tucked?? please elaborate!

Yea it would be a better started point but then it would take away from the originality of the car which is ultimately what I want to achieve at the minute. I have cheated a bit though and got phase 1 wheels for a phase 2 car :p

im confused,
do you want to keep it original??
or modded??

surely charging it would loose a lot of the originality anyways?

ITB'd MK1
Yea everyone seems to go for the wily lump. What sort of gains are you expecting? Is that a home made kit or one like the ktec one that's available

this one isn't a kit, it's bits and pieces the owner (16v_paddy) has bought, and i've modded all the bits to fit. I do do a complete kit with all new bits for the mk1 though.

Honestly not sure on what it's going to make, it did 144 on the dyno at Surrey rolling road with just cams and basic breathing mods, so we've got a reference point. should be a bit of a noisy screamer though, and really the aim of it is just a load of fun :)

1.8 16v Clio
I'm just toying with idea with the charger and wire tuck suggestion, that's in the future maybe. For now I'm going for the OEM look. I get bored easy so have to keep it fresh for myself

1.8 16v Clio
this one isn't a kit, it's bits and pieces the owner (16v_paddy) has bought, and i've modded all the bits to fit. I do do a complete kit with all new bits for the mk1 though.

Honestly not sure on what it's going to make, it did 144 on the dyno at Surrey rolling road with just cams and basic breathing mods, so we've got a reference point. should be a bit of a noisy screamer though, and really the aim of it is just a load of fun :)

A right cool, what sort of price is your kit ? Will be good to see what gains you will get

williams and trophy
last f7r i bought cost 200. and that was with a williams head/cams.

f7p s are usually taken out and binned for f7r s...... and for good reason.

williams and trophy

144...im taking it as thats at the fly??? for the cost of the cams alone....an f7r would make more sense..150 at the fly for less coin than a set of cams/pulleys and remap.

throw in the extra and £ for £ the f7r wins hands down.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
R's have been done to death & they bore me now plus you've got to be a good driver to really make any pointful use of what makes the R better than a P and the vast majority of folk simply aren't good enough. People generally remove old & tired P's & replace them with old & tired R's and since they're not that good drivers they'll be harping on about how much quicker the R is over the P they replaced but that'll be more psychological. There's nothing wrong with a decent P

Also, if I was a good enough driver and was actually bothered about spending money on a car to make it fast I wouldn't be poncing around with a pokey 4 pot renault ;)

williams and trophy
25k meg btm end. not exactly old n tired. doesnt really matter how good or bad a driver you are, an r makes more sense, especially so when on a budget. 2-300 for an r, and still quicker than cammed p. and with more scope for bigger power. no brainer imho. fair play tho, each to their own.

1.8 16v Clio
a023d44c.jpg

Well the car won't start (electrical problem), seems to be not enough charge going to the plugs, I've tried a few realiable batteries which haven't made a difference so I'm going to try a stronger diesel battery to see if that works, if that fails I think it may be the dizzy and rotor arm or something (dunno really no at the minute) any suggestions ?

As I couldn't do anything else to the car thought I would trial fit the wheels, personally I love the black on red and can't wait to see them on with some rubber

1.8 16v Clio
Hey Adam I've seen your thread before, it's pretty good I'll have a look through it as it's been a while.

I put a diesel battery into the car earlier and it started once and then cut out after a while. Checked the earths and they seem to be very rusty, going to clean them tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem. Would I be right in thinking they could be the issue ?