ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! New build problems

Started building my new system today. nothing fancy, just family use, but i've run into a brick wall.

Installed everything onto the motherboard, made all the connections, turn the key, everything fires up but theres nothing coming up on the screen. Not even BIOS. I've tried with another HDD which i know works and already has an OS on it but theres nothing.

What are the possible culprits?

Any help greatly appreciated, as i've got to leave for work now and want to try get it running when i come back.

Cheers
Tom

Evo 8 MR
Check for lose connections and listen to the POST beeps if it beeps more than once then it means something is wrong.

Check to see if the internal speaker is connected correctly, do you get any beeps? If not remove the memory and it should beep a few times. If it doesn't make sure nothing is shorting it and remove/disconnect things until you hear something. (switched off beforehand obviously!)

Its been a year or two since ive built, But Check you have the right memory for the motherboard, And check your monitor connections.

Then check theres power to the motherboard if it requires an extra molex connector, atx connector ... etc.

Evo 8 MR
Something to do with memory then I guess, search on google for POST beep codes or something similar and it will tell you what a constant beep means as I can't remember at the top of my head.

Clio 197
Does your graphics card require a separate power supply? most these days do not work with power straight from the board and need a connection to the PSU.

172 Cup
not running a seperate gfx card at the moment, the motherboard should have onboard graphics surely?

Some motherboards have an onboard GPU, most don't. What exactly have you connected the monitor cable to?!?!

Got a link to the exact motherboard you've purchased?

Try disconnecting everything else, typically the HD and DVD drives and cables. I've had this happen before.

You should get at least one beep with the memory in unless its faulty memory/something else causing the problem, removing everything else helps narrow it down.

Last edited:
  Cupra
I had the same thing when I built my PC and after trying everything, it turned out to be the monitor cable! It worked on my old PC but not on the new one. Tried a new cable and it worked.

Might be worth a shot if all else fails.

Cheers for the responses guys, just got back in from work so im going to continue the fight with the pc in a second.

I'm almost certain my motherboard has onboard gfx.

Memory is fresh out the packet so i doubt that. The fact there are no bios beeps at all on start up is strange though.

I'm still leaning towards it being something to do with the display/graphics.

When you turn the system on, it propts the monitor out of standby, but you immediately get the no signal - turning off in 5 seconds message and then it shuts off again.

I've tried the system with an old IDE based HDD and it does exactly the same thing - everything turns on but theres nothing on the screen.

Sorry forgot to add, the motherboard is a Sapphire PI-AM2RS780V
Link here http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=31788&category_id=709&manufacturer_id=0

Fiat Panda 100hp
I got this when I 1st did mine, and it turned out to be the cpu lock thing.

When installing the cpu, make sure u lift the leaver and then lock it in place. this is what is was for me.

What ram have you got? Speeds, how many sticks, and what size are they?

Says on the site:

for unbuffered Dual DDR2 1066 SDRAM up to 16 GB

Could be a graphics problem, Maybe leads?

But ive had it a few times when ram is put in the wrong slots or the sticks dont match etc i get nothing on the screens.

Let us know how you get on.

BREAKTHROUGH

was going through the proces of just gradually unplugging everything to try tracae back the problem.

Got to the memory point of things and pulled out one of the memory sticks and it booted straight away. BIOS beep and then a post screen so thats fantastic.

where was i going wrong though. This is the memory i have bought:
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=13633&category_id=770&manufacturer_id=0

Can anyone identify any clashes with this and the motherboard i have (links posted above.)

The memory was placed side by side in 2 of the 4 slots, i tried both in the other two slots beforehand and had no luck.

Why would that have been stopping it booting? Ideally i'd like all 4GB to be in there rather than just 2

Confused as hell now.

MINI Cooper S
Your motherboard only supports single channel memory, you have bought double channel memory, dont think you can use a double channel matched pair in a single channel motherboard, you need to just get 2x normal 2gig sticks of ram.

Not 100% sure though, someone will confirm this!

MINI Cooper S
stolen from the motherboard spec sheet:

Memory: 4 240-pin DIMM Sockets for unbuffered Dual DDR2 1066 SDRAM up to 16 GB

does the dual bit not mean that it can handle double channel memory?

Maybe, i didnt read the dual bit earlier for some reason... I have done a few builds myself but i am by no means a expert so still not 100%.... if you take out the memory stick thats working and replace it with the other stick you have does it still boot ok?

im going to try both suggestions in a second.

I'm confident that placing it in the next but one slot will work but then i dont think they will be working in dual channel mode. Anyway i'll give that a go.

I'll also see if swapping the sticks throws up that one is bad.

MINI Cooper S
im going to try both suggestions in a second.

I'm confident that placing it in the next but one slot will work but then i dont think they will be working in dual channel mode. Anyway i'll give that a go.

I'll also see if swapping the sticks throws up that one is bad.

One more thing, to run them in dual channel, normally you will have 4 memory slots on the motherboard, with 2 slots one colour, and 2 slots another colour, you want to put one memory stick in the first slot of one colour, and the second memory stick in the first slot of the second colour. If that still doesnt work try them in the second slots of each colour.

Dual channel memory is normally installed like this:

ram-dual-channel.jpg

Looks like it was bad memory all along guys.

Tried the alternate slot solution and nothing.

Swapped the single stick over with the one that was not in use, using the same slot each time and it was failing to boot as before. Swapped the original stick back again and it booted fine.

Guess this means a trip back to CCL tomorrow to try get a return

Cheers for all the help people, much appreciated!

BMW F31
on the memory link you posted it states its for 64 bit OS but i cant see that making a difference tbh.

Yeh in the mobo manual i was following the correct slot configuration, it states side by side as a pair in either slot 1&2 or 3&4, which is how i was running and there was no post.

Definately a gammy stick i think, going to try get it sorted today.

Running a x64 OS btw.